[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most important OS ever?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: win95.png (20 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
win95.png
20 KB, 640x480
In my opinion, Windows 95 is the most important operating system of all time. Does anyone disagree with me?

>First operating system to feature the Start Menu and taskbar
>First operating system to use the Desktop metaphor
>First operating system to support plug-and-play hardware
>First consumer-focused 32-bit operating system
>Arguably the first OS to be marketed towards the consumer, rather than business
>First operating system to feature Internet Explorer

In fact, I am absolutely *certain* that it is the most important operating system ever. No other operating system changed the face of computing for the common man as much as Windows 95 did. It was the first OS that really compelled consumers to buy PCs as home machines, for entertainment and personal use, rather than just for business. It also fundamentally shaped all of its competitors (e.g. OS X and Linux DEs) in hugely noticeable ways (both OS X and Linux DEs use taskbars, the desktop metaphor, both OSs support plug-and-play hardware, etc.).

I bet some of you faggots will disagree though. So why? What pathetic arguments can you offer?
>>
>inb4 hate on 95 just because it was made by Microsoft
>>
>>51422558
I still have and remember buying my copy of windows 95 on that summer of 1995. man was I blown away at first boot, finally and easy way to connect to the internet, no more dealing with shitty trumpet winsock.
>>
>>51422646
I was also pretty blown away by Win 95, but then again I was 4 years old when it came out. But I had used 3.1 quite a lot on my dad's work laptop. Then I grew up with Win 95. I really was a massive leap from 3.1 in pretty much every way.
>finally and easy way to connect to the internet
One thing I was also going to mention in the OP is the fact that Win 95 had wizards, which made difficult setup processes incredibly simple for the common user, e.g. the dial-up networking wizard in the OP pic. But I don't know if Win 95 was the first to have wizards? Maybe 3.1 did as well? Still, their presence in 95 was just one of the things that made that OS an incredibly usable and friendly experience to computer novices.
>>
>>51422558
I would say the UNIX has been more influential. I am no computer historian but it seems to me that the growth of computing in general was very deeply influenced and directed by UNIX, which continues to be extrememley infuential to this day (along with its offshoots and clones).

Of course, Windows has a major role in computing, and Windows 95 is quite possibly the most important Windows to have happened, but I am not sure that it is the most important OS. UNIX created the environemnt which lead to Windows.

Alas, I am also not sure the UNIX was the most influential. But I tend to think that it was bigger and more defining of computing in general than Windows 95 or its kin.
>>
>>51422679
it wasn't the wizard but the fact that the integrated dial-up application actually worked, trumpet winsock was quite buggy and would crash a lot on win 3.1
>>
1/10 for the effort op
>>
>>51422558
>Most important OS ever?
DOS
Unix
>>
it was more like plug and pray though
>Arguably the first OS to be marketed towards the consumer, rather than business
it's also why it was so unstable. corporate customers don't tolerate constant bluescreens and system downtime, but consumers do.

I think Version 7 UNIX is more important than any release of Windows
>>
>>51422558
Xerox Alto
NuBus
>First consumer-focused 32-bit operating system
Linux
Check out 70s/80s home computers
>First operating system to feature Internet Explorer
IE was just a redesigned NCSA Mosaic, which was originally written for Unix

Please educate yourself before posting bullshit. Sure, Win95 was great, but not because of its originality
>>
NEXTSTEP
E
X
T
S
T
E
P
>>
File: 1440020639432.gif (2 MB, 1718x938) Image search: [Google]
1440020639432.gif
2 MB, 1718x938
windows 10 is the most important OS ever, right guise!? :D
>>
File: lisaos1Desktop_Manager_Large.jpg (44 KB, 747x503) Image search: [Google]
lisaos1Desktop_Manager_Large.jpg
44 KB, 747x503
>>51422834
>>First operating system to use the Desktop metaphor
>Xerox Alto
'no'.

The windowing system comes from Xerox, the *desktop* metaphor we still use today comes from the Apple Lisa (refined afterwards in the first Macintosh).
>>
>>51422834
BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
L
O
W
N

T
H
E

F
U
C
K

O
U
T
>>
>>51422834
>>First consumer-focused 32-bit operating system
>Linux
'no'. Mac OS (System 7) was the first, running on a 32-bit Motorola 68k and using the full 32-bit address space.
>>
Windows 95 was a gamechanger, and Windows 98 upped the ante, but IMHO Windows XP was the greatest OS outside of Unix. It lasted for a 14 years. I use all OSes, and am partial to Linux, but XP was the shit for a long time and is my champ.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.