[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>power goes out at work >oh shit oh shit oh shit, got to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 16
File: sysadmin.jpg (52 KB, 500x416) Image search: [Google]
sysadmin.jpg
52 KB, 500x416
>power goes out at work
>oh shit oh shit oh shit, got to shutdown the servers quickly
>go into server room
>all the servers, switches, everything is beeping like crazy
>leader developer storms into the server room "DON'T SHUTDOWN THE SERVERS, THE DEVELOPERS HAVEN'T SAVED ALL THEIR CODE YET"
>"How long will that take?"
>"20 minutes"
>"fuck you"
>turn off everything, I'm not risking breaking expensive as shit equipment just so programmers won't lose a few hours of code
>"YOU WILL REGRET THIS YOU TWAT, I'M TELLING YOUR BOSS WHAT YOU'VE DONE"
>"good luck, clonker."

Do you think I did the right thing, /g/?
>>
>>51420243
Couldn't they just save it locally on their machines? What are you guys using for version control? CVS?
>>
When was the power going off? Did you have more time to let them save something?

However it sounds like their fault, they knew the power was going off and waited to the last moment to save hours of work...?
>>
>havent saved all their code yet
That's their problem. You did good OP.
>>
There was no other option, the work would have been lost either way.
>>
And that is why you CTRL+S all the time.

How can you even NOT save your code? Do they use OS/360 and write their code on magnet band?
>>
>>51420243
>haven't saved all their code yet
>implying every developer had a UPS on his workstation
Fuck off you lying faggot.
>>
>>51420259
It depends on the team, I don't know exactly what program they use, but I know they save it all in the "cloud".

>>51420278
The power went out unexpectedly, they were barely going to hold out for 5 maybe 10 more minutes.

>>51420323
It wasn't the entire building power that went out, only the first and second floors and the servers room.
>>
So do your developers just open the code's files directly from the server or what

Because if that's the case they have worse problems than not saving often enough
>>
>>51420320
If it would take 20 minutes to save they're probably running some shit version control where they are all working on the same file or something like that.
>>
>wasted a couple workhours
>fuck servers up
I'm sure your boss is a reasonable Jew.
>>
>>51420243
Considering how many programmers you might have just fucked over, you might have cost your company more money in lost development costs than equipment, OP.
>>
>>51420359
>only a few floors
Do you live in some third world shithole where electrical code doesn't exist?
>>51420243
>lead developer storms in
Why does the lead dev have access to the server room?
>haven't saved all their code yet
How does this work? Why would they need a server to save something? Why not save it locally temporarily?
>>
>>51420434
>Do you live in some third world shithole where electrical code doesn't exist?
Never heard of a half power outage?
>Why does the lead dev have access to the server room?
I'm not going to lock myself in the servers room every time I go inside.
>How does this work?
Long story short, most of the developers have super shitty computers or bring their own devices, so the company decided to create reasonably strong virtual machines for the programmers.

>>51420374
He told me they were debugging and couldn't stop and that the customers HAD to get a new version that instant.

>>51420434

They program directly from the servers, most of their computers are super shitty.
>>
>>51420243
Why the fuck dont you have battery backups?
>>
>>51420534
We do, its just that my jew boss won't buy more of them so we have like 4 servers per ups.
>>
>20 minutes to save your code

Come the fuck on, they should get their operations shit together.

I am devloper, max. time between checkins is a few hours. Saving everything locally is as simple as "Save All". The worst part of a power outage for me is losing my desktop, IDE and debugger state.
>>
>>51420575
I think the dumbvelopers wanted to finish coding a new version for a customer that was pestering them all morning.
>>
>>51420515
>so the company decided to create reasonably strong virtual machines for the programmers.
It's like we are in the 70ties with mainframes and thin clients again
>>
>>51420601
>customer demands
eh, not much developers can do about that. Managers need to learn to manage client expectations... I once worked for a bastard who always underestimated the time it would take us to patch certain things, it's a completely ineffective strategy and results in the client arguing with you all the time.
>>
I think OP just found out that servers use UPS backup batteries so they can shut down safely if mains electricity goes off.

Nice story OP but you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
>>
Shitty situation... probably using xenservers so the moment you shut it down, everyone looses connection. Why not store them at a colo and install drac cards to do all your work remotely....
>>
>>51420643
>>51420643

yeah wtf? let the backup run till it's near dead.
>>
>>51420629
Chase uses thin clients.
>>
>>51420643
>>51420678
I don't know, he said there were 4 servers for each UPS.
>>
Depends. Was it your responsibility to look after the hardware? If no, then you're in trouble.

It's all politics.
>>
>>51420243
Wow, do you live in the 1980's?

Aren't you worried to get life altering spoilers posting on a 2015 board?
>>
>>51420629
I like it better this way, it becomes a piece of cake for me to monitor the development environment and update/fix shit instead of helping every single developer when something goes wrong in their local machine.

>>51420643
>>51420678
Our shitty UPS won't last more than 5-10 minutes, and in no way they shut down the servers "safely", I've had tons of HDs go bad because of shit like this.
>>
File: 1447498918846.jpg (149 KB, 938x632) Image search: [Google]
1447498918846.jpg
149 KB, 938x632
>>51420643
You assume that they had large battery arrays or a generator.

MOST office and retail operations have 1 or 2 rackmount UPSs that do have huge ass batteries but they are powering devices that pull more then 1Kw, and may only have enough power for 15-30 minutes of keeping the server up. Just enough time to cleanly shut down.

UPSs are not in server rooms to keep shit up 24/7, they there to help condition the power in case of a power serge or brown out, and to let the server shut down cleanly after an outage.

Source, I work teir 2 network support for a fortune 50 company.
>>
>>51420243
So between saving thousands of dollars worth of hardware and saving a few couple of hundred dollars in monkey work...
OP yah dun did good.
>>
Real life:

- power goes out
- All the normie employees:
>Hurr I can't work now, let's stand around the coffee machine even though it's down as well.
- Programmers:
>Laptop still has hours of battery, no problem.
>>
>>51420715

You have absolutely no idea, OP.
>>
>>51420729
Programmers would stand around the coffee machine too, who the fuck would want to work when everyone else is lazing around?
>>
>>51420729
More like
>"fucking laptop battery, I have to keep working while everyone else fucks around."
Thats how it went down at my helpdesk. Phones were still up so I still had to work as I watched all the rest of the office workers do nothing.
>>
>>51420729
Virtual machines are nested in the Servers though.
>>
File: 1446950517964.gif (6 KB, 96x85) Image search: [Google]
1446950517964.gif
6 KB, 96x85
>>51420746
I'm not the OP.
>>
>>51420715
>fortune 50 company.
>doesn't use off-site servers.

Sure thing.
>>
>>51420243
Both of you are stupid and wrong, especially you OP. You shall have already predict such thing will happened and you prepared for it very well, at least: UPS + generator connected to an ATS panel. Minimum you'll have at least 6 hours to manage your shit or power blackout gone.
>>
>>51420776
That's not me.
>>
>>51420425
If they lost the servers wouldn't they also lose the data?
>>
>>51420755
>who the fuck would want to work when everyone else is lazing around?
People who have actual shit to do, ie programmers.
>>
>>51420776
How does one connect to an off site server if there is no power?
We're talking a total power outage man, like what the OP was experiencing. UPSs are NOT a full solution for a complete power outage, merely a band-aid.
The REAL solution is a generator. Most of our grocery stores and offices have one to keep shit going (especially the refrigeration in the stores).
>>
>>51420791
Nope, you dumb ass autistic fuck, in 2 years this only happened once, and at most programmers lost 2-4 hours of code, assuming they don't ctrl+s all the time like they're supposed to.
There's no way my boss would want to invest that time and money for such a low risk threat.

We're just a small office, if you haven't figured out by now,, get that through your thick skull you twat.
>>
>twat
Talk to HR about sexual harassment.
>>
>>51420827
>How does one connect to an off site server if there is no power?

One doesn't.

But one also doesn't have to worry about damaged equipment or corrupt data.
>>
>>51420323
>Fuck off you lying faggot.
>not using a laptop
>>
>>51420835
Of course programmers ctrl+s every couple of minutes.
How else are we going to test what we wrote?

OP is talking out of his ass.
>>
>>51420835
>all the bla bla you wrote
No wonder the server management are shit. If you're posting this shitty thread just to justify your stupid act, then gtfo, your responsibility is to keep the servers, noc, all related running and fully functional, I'd fire you if I were your boss tb.h
>>
>>51420243
>being a sysadmin

found your problem. change your career.
>>
>>51420243
Could someone give me some detail as to what happens when the servers aren't shut down properly? Is this to do with heads not locking back into their off position properly? Does this happen with laptops etc too if they lose power? Have hard drives not overcome this yet? I've often turned off computers like this for example when its in a state where I can't shut it down and I've never really thought about it.
>>
>>51420243
>I'm not risking breaking expensive as shit equipment just so programmers won't lose a few hours of code
Unless you own the servers, it's not your decision to make. You were told by the lead developer not to do something and you did it anyway, if you hadn't shut the server off and something happened to them, you still would have just been doing what you were told, instead of going rogue and possibly being fired for it.
>>
>>51420950
My desktop with Ubuntu 12.04 installed has been running for 3 years now and I have to long press the power button every time I want to turn it off. Clicking the menu doesn't work. So far, nothing has been broken.
>>
>>51420950

It's everything to do with data corruption. You don't want a server going down unexpectedly while it's in the middle of saving/processing data.
>>
>>51421019
I'm not sure I understand, surely such a small portion of the data would be being processed at the time that it would be insignificant, and it'd be lost anyway if it was shut down
>>
>>51420791
This desu senpai.
Why don't you have UPS management software that automatically shuts down when power level is under a certain amount. You definitely had 20 minutes to spare.
>>
Hey this thread convinced me I don't want to be a sysadmin after all.
>>
>>51420997
kek, this is what devs actually think isn't it? There's always a power outage policy in place, and that policy always says shut everything down.

Trying to save a few hours of code is how you turn a few hours outage into a few days.
>>
A sysadmin always goes down with his servers.
>>
Who gives a fuck, just let the servers run until the UPS runs out of juice
>>
>>51421153
gentoomen, it has been a privilege memeing with you tonight.
>>
File: 1389276160742.png (39 KB, 197x216) Image search: [Google]
1389276160742.png
39 KB, 197x216
>>51420243

Why shutdown the servers in the first place? What servers would you be shutting down?
>>
Sysadmin aka "have a bit of technical knowledge but am too stupid to program"... get over your inferiority complex and let those poor developers save their work, scumbag.
>>
>>51421067
What if it was critical data?
>>
>>51421233
lmao, sysadmin is a relaxing job if you are good at it.
Most sysadmins can script in bash/powershell/perl/python so they can write some languages.
in the end programming is just making a puzzle sounds way to boring for me but hey you might not like sysadmin.
>>
>>51420243
Lol, if this isn't fake, you could always use the "you're supposed to be saving every 20 minutes" thing. Why the fuck wouldn't you have persistent, mirrored storage in place? That lead developer would be fired if he worked for me for not following policy.
>>
>>51420243
>not having a 20kw UPS to last a 2 hr power outage.

You fucked up OP
>>
File: 1423425136641.gif (426 KB, 499x265) Image search: [Google]
1423425136641.gif
426 KB, 499x265
>>51420243
>20 minutes to save code
You did good. If somebody tells you they need 20 minutes to save shit, they're either fucking stupid or just really fucking incompetent.
>>
>>51421297
seriously
Shoulda let the UPS run down, and If corporate rides your ass because it wasn't enough time, send them a request for more/better UPS.

If they don't want to pay for the extra shut down time then they can deal with it
>>
>>51420729
>Laptop still has hours of battery, no problem.
>Resources are located on the network which is offline now
>Proceed to launch retroarch and play fucking Mario Kart with my colleague
This is the true way things go. You think we're going to do shit when the development servers are offline?
>>
in case of power outage like that my job would be to bring it back... or at least figure out what happened. but hey i'm just a lab admin. we have strong enougj ups on critical servers and testlines anyway.
>>
Where the hell do you people live that power outages are a real thing?

In my entire life of living in Germany, I have never experienced a power outage. There was one in an adjacent town for like 2 hours one night in 2009, but those are extremely rare occurrences. Most of the time, power is just re-routed via different cells if any connection in the grid is fucked.
>>
>>51421443
I think the US has a very shitty powergrid.
>>
>>51421443
My building in a very commercial area in the US has outages all the time. I think its just our building though so something is fucked in the wiring there.
>>
>>51420243
Fuck them, they should save more frequently
>>
>>51420243
Is it seriously that hard for fagots to just CTRL+S every couple minutes?
>Saving everything on server
>Not having local backups
Do you work with alqueida?
>>
>cost of replacing expensive equipment and setting it all up again
>cost of a couple person-hours for each dev
unless your job has several hundreds of devs working at the same time then hell no, shut those servers down
>>
>>51420243
Use a filesystem that's not shit at handling SPOR
>>
>2015
>Not having an off site datacentre or cloud redundancy
>>
>>51421465
>>51421480
This is probably why nobody trusts Americans as engineers anymore. They can't even wire a building correctly, let alone launch an unmanned delivery capsule :^)
>>
File: Smart-UPS-1500XL plus stats.jpg (791 KB, 1425x1536) Image search: [Google]
Smart-UPS-1500XL plus stats.jpg
791 KB, 1425x1536
>Servers require manual power down in case of of power failure
>Manual
>Manual
>Manual

Nigger your have more serious issues than you think.
>>
File: American Power Infrastructure.png (49 KB, 1856x849) Image search: [Google]
American Power Infrastructure.png
49 KB, 1856x849
>>51421443
Because this is how the american power grid looks in most places.

And imagine this with circuitry and cables that are 50+ years old. Because replacing or upgrading their infrastructure would reduce their profit from 100% to 99%
>>
>>51421766
Also we still use wooden power line pylons in a lot of places that get wrecked during even minor storms
>>
>>51421860
Oh yeah I forgot to mention this, most places use wooden poles for the powerlines, and the things are basically one meter under ground, seven meters above ground in areas that are rich in rain and heavy winds. They also have no elemental protection whatsoever.
>>
How can they save the data on the server? I would assume none of the client switches has a UPS or a redundant power supply
>>
>>51421443
>In my entire life of living in Germany, I have never experienced a power outage.

Germany is about 85% the size of California, that's why.
>>
>>51420243
>20 minutes to save code

That doesn't even make sense, don't devs work on their own machines THEN push to server?
When the power goes out, they have already lost the code.
>>
>>51421019
>>51421243
Don't we have modern file systems for that?
>>
>>51422064
There are places where infrastructure still runs on windows 3.1
>>
>>51421942
Yet we have over 80 million people and still excess water for everyone!
>>
>>51422064
most internal networking hardware runs on ancient programs.
>>
>>51422111
and kek.s and shitskins too
>>
>>51422111
>10 million Germans and 70 million Muslims

Fixed that for you Hans.
>>
>>51421443
>In my entire life of living in Germany, I have never experienced a power outage.
Underageb&
>>
>>51422111
America has 318 million, and there isn't a water shortage either, so you've literally said nothing.
>>
>>51421657
Reminder that the USA funded and built the infrastructure currently used in Germany.
>>
>>51422206
Having enough water really isn't that much of an accomplishment here in western-Europe.
Hell here in the Netherlands we have an excess of water.

>>51422218
so it's the USA who is to blame for the terrible internet in Germany.
>>
>>51422230
>Having enough water really isn't that much of an accomplishment here in western-Europe.
Then why was the nazi fuck bragging about it like its impressive?
>>
>>51421322
Found the professional fizzbuzz developer.
>>
>>51422244
Don't laugh now but Germans are known to brag about the quality of their tap water.
>>
>>51422244
>Then why was the nazi
>nazi

rude, the is muslim now.
>>
>>51422244
some 40% of europeans have never tasted clean water. it's still a big deal outside of western europe.
>>
[OP]

Why don't you go tell your stupid boss to buy a fucking diesel generator that starts up when everything is running from ups?
>>
>>51420434
>Do you live in some third world shithole where electrical code doesn't exist?
The breaker flipped dipshit. That literally means the electircal code exists.
>>
>>51422279
yes 40% of Europe survives excusively on wine, vodka and beer.
>>
>>51422271
>windows
>start menu
>power off menu
>hibernate
Dipshit
>>
>>51422344
Found the professional momma's basement employee.
>>
File: incredulous-laughter.jpg (3 KB, 125x112) Image search: [Google]
incredulous-laughter.jpg
3 KB, 125x112
>>51420320
>OS/360
>>
>>51420515
>He told me they were debugging and couldn't stop
Wait, what kind of idiot don't save before debugging?
Hell, don't most IDEs require to save, or automatically save, just before debugging?
I may be a bit ignorant, still a student, but I thought it worked like that.
>>
>why doesn't OP just buy X equipment
>why doesn't OP just follow X policy instead of his company's policy

I swear to God sometimes I wonder if I'm the only /g/entooman that actually has a job.
>>
>>51422275
>Implying muslims aren't the worst kind of nazi.
>>
>>51422467
>OP goes against company policy
>"omg u gais op dindu nuffin rong"
OP pls
>>
>>51421766
>houses in series
Kek

>>51421890
Shit son we're lucky if our power lines are perpendicular to the ground. It is common for them to be leaning 20 degrees off from perpendicular. The lines into my neighbor's house are so low because of this that I have to duck when mowing the lawn.
>>
File: 1428250039668.jpg (15 KB, 192x154) Image search: [Google]
1428250039668.jpg
15 KB, 192x154
>>51420243
>clonker
>>
>>51422702
Except we don't even know what company policy is, because head developer does not necessarily outrank a sysadmin. But while shutting down servers unexpectedly can lead to data corruption, the UPSes the servers are hooked up to should tell it to automatically shut down cleanly, and even if data loss/corruption occurs whatever filesystem used on the servers should have some kind of journaling. OP might not have been in any position to change any of this, but now is the time if this sort of shit isn't implemented. I'd also like to know how the fuck it could take developers 20 minutes to save something.
>>
>>51420243
>didn't develop a habit to save work every 10 seconds with a keyboard command back in the 90s
>takes 20 minutes to save the code
lol what a bunch of retards. What kind of retarded tools do they use? Let me guess some ancient IBM software from the 80s they have to use through some kind of citrix solution because the shit doesn't run on modern computers. IBM is the worst kind of software cancer that ever happened to big business. Fuck you RUP, DOORS, ClearCase, ClearQuest, Lotus Notes etc.
>>
>>51420323
Every fucking company issue a laptop nowadays. They kind of come with a battery.
>>
>>51420997
>lead developer
>boss of IT
are you retarded or just trelling
>>
>>51420801
>be late as usual for a few hundred million dollar contract
>nothing new we have always been late the past 20 years because the people working on the bid are fucking retarded
>some kind of complex multinational server infrastructure with tons of servers located in a humoungous data center in UK
>network goes down
>requirements software goes down
>versioning systems goes down
>everyone goes to the lunch room and drink coffee and talk the next 3 hours despite the network coming online after 2 hours
Only the asocial people at work will actually work when the tools are down.
>>
>>51420997
Sysadmins are (way) above Lead Developers.

His tantrum sounded like "I'M GOING TO TELL MOMMY" to me.
>>
File: 1374521263682.jpg (617 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1374521263682.jpg
617 KB, 750x750
>>51423798

Sysadmins who run massive data clusters or manage extensive Fibre Channel networks with millions of dollars on the line to keep their MSSQL or web purchasing software up? Maybe. Some sysadmin associate scumming it out for a consulting company to troubleshoot a doctor's office, or some third-tier support guy at a mid-sized business? What the fuck ever. Clear chain of command, full-stop, or risk your employment.
>>
Can someone tell why the hardware would break in a blackout?
>>
>>51422279
some 40% of americans have never tasted actual healthy food

where did you get that shit statistic?
>>
This thread is a load of shit because any fucking decent admin would have the servers set to shutdown themselves once a power failure was detected and they were running off backup power.
>>
>>51425003
Then the devs would have been fucked anyway if it takes them 20 minutes to save their shit.
>>
>>51422178
>Hans
>implying you're not speaking to Ahmed
>>
>>51425055

Why were their machines still working if there was a power failure? Are they running on UPS? What the fuck are they doing that it takes 20 minutes to save?
>>
>>51420323

Every station where I work is on a UPS.

No-fucking-around 1000 watt ers too.
>>
>>51420776

That's the situation every place I've worked:

Customer or client facing is an off site, third party.

Anything internal is internal.
>>
>>51421443
>Where the hell do you people live that power outages are a real thing?
Boreal forest
>2 meters of snow on the ground
>Trees falling over on power-lines
>Power-lines can't be fixed because the roads are closed
>>
>>51420243
thats a nice story op, too bad some level bullshit ticket jockey like yourself would never even have access to the server room much less have a decision making ability
>>
>>51422451
It does work like that. You can't run/compile code that only exists in the IDE's memory.

What could be the case is that the VM itself and its contents still needs to be saved to disk, since they're kept in RAM as much as possible.
>>
>>51425394
>powerfilews embedded underground.
Problem solved.
Almost All modern cities function this way.Even the burbs
>>
>>51420243
>>leader developer storms into the server room "DON'T SHUTDOWN THE SERVERS, THE DEVELOPERS HAVEN'T SAVED ALL THEIR CODE YET"
they can save it locally and commit then the power returns
>>
>>51420243
But that's their problem not yours.
I fail to see the problem here.
>>
>>51420910
Learn to program for real and stop putting semicolons everywhere hoping for it to work.
>>
>>51424202
Bump.
>>
>>51421443
Happened a few times here in aus. Good thing I've got a laptop with a battery dock to last me till power returns.
>>
>>51420243
Proper response:
>"Sucks to be you. Unless you want to talk to management why all our shit's corrupt, I'm turning this off."
>>
>>51423897
AW SHIT, YOU"RE GONNA POUR THAT COWFEE ALL OVER YOUR CHIN BITCH!
>>
>>51420243
OP, you did good and you did right. I'd have done the same thing... it's your chance now to tell your jew boss, that if he wants better data security, he'd better invest in a proper infrastucture...
>>51420997
Actually it is... it's his job to ensure the least loss of data possible. In this case by shutting shit down ASAP...

Also, a lead developer in no way outranks a sysadmin... strangely, a programmer is expected to know shit about hardware in this day and age. Final responsibility falls on the one that does!

>>51421132
Damn straight!

>>51421443
Düsseldorf, we had 5 outages this year alone, but the building power grid is shit anyways...

>>51421976
pfsh, just a git server would have handled that. All saved locally, and synced when you need to..
Really, any versioning suite does something similar...
>>
>>51420243

Nah, I work for a company that actually turns a profit of several billion USD a year. We have massive UPS capacity and a monster diesel generator at each data center.
>>
File: 1446909350122.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446909350122.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
>>
>>51420259
Lots of places make you develop in a server run vm. Server shuts off vm shuts off.
>>
>>51428247
Thanks
>>
>>51428015
Düsseldorf? Welche Firma denn? Hatte schon paar IT Bewerbungsgespräche in Düsseldorf.
>>
File: 1368979065511.jpg (28 KB, 429x399) Image search: [Google]
1368979065511.jpg
28 KB, 429x399
>>51427838

(^:
>>
>>51420629
>we are in the 70ties with mainframes and thin clients again
Yep. The average consumer uses google docs for text editing, pandora for music recommendation, yelp for phone books, facebook for contact information. The only real exceptions are compiling code and playing video games. The bulk of computing nowadays is done in mainframes, far from the user.
>>
What not have developers use a file share for their working copy. That way you only have to flush multiple working copies to storage rather than the collective RAM of multiple VMs.
>>
>>51423535
Fucking DOORS.
>>
>>51429470
Why not just hibernate.

Also: rescued.
>>
>>51430748
You still have to dump the memory image to disk which takes a lot of time on actual servers (20 minutes is a good figure).
>>
You did good.
You could have said "They have 30 seconds", but fuck them anyway.
>>
>>51420320
>Do they use OS/360
Yes, the reason they said it'd take 20 minutes was because that's how long it'd take to have the thing dump it to punch card.
>>
>>51420243
I'm confused, don't your UPSes tell your servers to shut down automatically when battery life runs low?
>>
File: 1445470019800.jpg (720 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
1445470019800.jpg
720 KB, 1840x3264
>>
>>51420243

>20 minutes

Dude just wanted to make sure his porn download made it through. Those file sharing sites don't let you resume and using a workaround is too hard for him.
>>
>>51420323

they're probably all running shitty macbooks
>>
>>51422218
Wrong, guess who built the Autobahn?
>>
@51433723
Get a load of this goy
>>
>>51431345
This happened in our server room.

Jew bosses went against our recommendation for german made racks, in favour of chink made junk.

We got new backup robots and racks.

Jew bosses were very understanding after we explained why it happened.
>>
>>51434010
>saw factory stamp on rittal rack
>contacted the factory in wuijang, china
>they could sell me the racks for $230 a piece instead of the msrp of $1599

They are great, got 4x hp c7000 in each rack. Gotta love chinese business.
>>
>>51434090
Great tip.

Embarrassed I never thought of that.
>>
>>51421443
estland here
only power outages are maintenance work that is announced before, happens once or twice a year
>>
this is horse shit

you would have it automatically shutdown the servers when a power loss is detected

source: tier 2 network tech for CSIS
>>
>>51431345
Got the original picture?
I want to use it for the comic with the guy who is going to sleep, and then remember something bad/cringy.
>>
>>51420791
srsly, this.
>>
>>51421443
I'm not american, but power outages happen like 4-5 times a year. Hell, half of the time they even warn us.
>>
"save often" or as said by some "periodic saves" are a Rule 0s in computing, which should be knows to people who develop commercial fucking software.

Their own damn fault, you did right.
>>
File: 1444027784552.jpg (104 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1444027784552.jpg
104 KB, 640x360
>>51421754
>runtime: 420.0 minutes
>>
>>51421443

Norwegian here. Typically doesn't happen in population centers, but out in the middle of fucking nowhere on some island on the coast it happens. Or the almost completely desolate mountains where no-one lives except that one person who decided it would be a good idea.

There's a HUGE difference between power uptime in a city or population center compared to some small place where 70 people live.

>>51421942

Size has little to do with it.

>>51425933

In cities, population centers and industrial areas? Yes, but no-one wants to put powerlines into the ground for dozens of kilometres just to provide a more stable service to 50 people.

Honestly, it's like you've never even heard of the concept that there are places on this planet where very few people live.
>>
>>51434555
damn nigga
>>
>a few days ago
>lights were flickering
>afraid something is going to die
>desktop doesn't have UPS
>lights die for a second
>desktop dies
>loose 17 days of uptime
thanks PSE
>running power lines aboveground near giant ass trees that always fall down
>>
>>51421443
Brownouts aren't really an issue in my neck of the woods, but severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are. Usually the power goes out for less than a minute or so, but every once in awhile something major will happen and it takes the power company hours to fix the problem. It's still never city wide and places like hospitals are required to have backup generators which automatically kick on.
>>
>>51421018
>clicking the menu doesn't work

did you try
sudo poweroff
from a terminal..?
>>
>>51434555
Well shitposted, my friend. Here is another one
>>
>>51421465
There's only so much redundancy you can have for rural areas in the US. A few years ago, most of New Hampshire lost power for over a week because of a massive ice storm.
>>
>>51433775
>@
Back to twatter
>>
http://sheekyforums.com/thread/51420243/technology/power-goes-out-at-work.html

What
>>
>>51437297
>not knowing that sheeky and tina just scrape 4chan posts and apply filters to them
>>
It takes 20 minutes to press ctrl +s?
>>
>>51420243
Better start looking for a new job, you fucked with the wrong keyboard jockey.
>>
>>51437332
yeah I figured this after posting but it spooked me a lttle, reminded me of those /v/ threads that some mod set up to look like every poster but you was actually a bot a while back
>>
>>51420243
Johnson, please report to my office.

I've been told that you made a thread on the anime image board know as "Four Chan."

I would like to discuss the repercussions of your childish actions.
>>
>>51428292
>what is pausing all VMs to disk
>>
>>51434090
How much was shipping the racks from there?

Do you remember the specific factory m8?
>>
>>51434556
If size has little to do with it then what is it?

You just said they don't put them underground to serve 50 people.
>>
>>51423655
>>>51420997
>are you retarded or just trelling
>or just telling
>trelling
>trell
>>
>>51429273
>assuming people actually use Google docs.
>>
>>51439368
They actually do. A lot.
>>
>>51439434
Really? I've never even considered it, considering a just backup all my stuff on an ext drive and keep the data I need on a flash drive.
>>
>>51439481
Most common usecase is collaborative editing (e.g. for group projects at school) or for organization-wide resource allocation, progress reports and planning. People get so used to that that they begin using google docs for everything.
>>
>>51421754
This
UPS daemon on monitoring/ups server/vm
-> safely shutdown all servers automatically
-> even pauses/snapshots the fucking vms/environments the developers are using
-> fucking up hardware because power loss? Nigga we talking data loss!!
>>
>not doing all development in The Cloud™

your company was fucked from the start
>>
>>51439648
That's actually what they're doing and that was the whole issue.
>>
>>51437297
>tfw my name is Garbage Can Lid
>>
>>51441346
Nah, the names get recycled to make it look a little more like they're real people. Garbage can lid refers sometimes to op and sometimes to you for instance.
>>
>>51420323
>What are you guys using for version
I work at a law firm, and all of our workstations have UPSs... they're small (~350Va) but all of our workstations are sff and use like ~20-50W.

>>51420302
This, OP if you get any shit, tell them that your job is to protect company assets, and the potential damage to the infrastructure greatly outweighed the risk of a few lazy developers who haven't pushed their code recently.

If needed tell them it'd cost $x to replace this, this, and this. I know in our environment something like that could easily fuck up ~$100K in equip and even more in time getting back up. You did the right thing.
>>
>>51441470
I aggre OP did the right thing, fuck those programmers, however code could be classed as company assets
>>
>>51441470
>100k
>v.s. a loss of 3-4 hours of dev time for 10k+ devs all paid 40/h or more
DUBS CHECKEM, lamo.
>>
File: 1389690861403.gif (169 KB, 253x199) Image search: [Google]
1389690861403.gif
169 KB, 253x199
>>51420243
>"good luck, clonker."
>clonker
>>
>>51420243
You look like you to smell bad. No. You did everything wrong in life.
>>
>>51425141
Same here
>>
should have used sublime. this is a feature
>>
>>51420799
Yup so you did do the right thing
>>
>>51429128
>Bewerbungsgespräche

This kind of shit is why you lost the war.
>>
>>51433723
The Fed?
>>
>>51443350
Try the führer, you dolt.
>>
File: lamebastard.jpg (117 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lamebastard.jpg
117 KB, 640x480
>>51420715

>power serge
>works in IT
>cant fucking spell SURGE properly
>call bullshit on your knowledge and/or job skills
>>
>>51420243
Bullshit.

Codes are saved locally in machine so it won't be lost and can be committed after power is back.

You are being delusional and roleplaying yourself as a sysadmin.
>>
One of the sick things at GSFC is the fuckload of redundant power systems.

Grid goes out? We have a giant generator to power the entire facility. Gas line goes down, too? Don't worry, we carry a few thousand gallons of gas to keep it powered. Generator goes down? Every desktop/server/compute farm has a fuckload of internal batteries too.

Jesus it was so sexy looking at it all.
>>
>I'm not risking breaking expensive as shit equipment

Can someone explain why a power failure would break anything? What sort of equipment?
>>
>>51420565
20 minutes is fine for battery backup. Shut down script would be done in 5, if it was after hours
>>
>>51420713
How many employee's does your company have? Mine has around 300, and not only do we have decent UPS' we have a generator with three days of fuel to keep IT infrastructure up and running.

Unless you are in an office with like 10 people I don't see how your boss isn't grossly negligent at infrastructure planning.
>>
>>51420243
Um

Do you have on site generators?
Did you mean a brown out?
Hardware insurance?
Developers for? Medical industry vs indie video game

How expensive?
Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.