[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about using my PC monitor for PS4. Going to buy a HDMI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 41zwrQS3sPL.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41zwrQS3sPL.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
Thinking about using my PC monitor for PS4. Going to buy a HDMI to DVI cable audio from PS4 controller.

Will the picture look shittier on dvi?
>>
No. It's a digital signal: it won't degrade.
However, DVI doesn't carry audio and has a lower max resolution that HDMI or DP.
>>
>>51415546

No. They're both digital signals.

DVI just does not carry audio.
>>
Only potential issue when converting HDMI to DVI would be that DVI can't support high resolutions like 4k, but that of course isn't going to be an issue with a PS4
>>
>>51415568
PS4 is only gonna give at max 1080p so that is a non-issue.
>>
>>51415682
will my monitor stretch the image or will i get black bars? my monitor is 16:10 @ 1200
>>
I've used a cable like this for a long time, works just fine.

>>51415692
Look up if the PS4 supports custom resolutions aside from 720p and 1080p
>>
>>51415692
you're gonna want to set your ps4 at your target resolution (1200) before you make the switch

but your ps4 should output your native resolution without the need for stretching or letterboxing. just dont take it from a 1080p tv to a 1200 monitor using a dvi cable and expect it to change res on its own.

never tried it with my ps4 but my xbox 360 had this issue.

some games may letterbox just due to the format of the game. most games should scale to 16:10
>>
>>51415728
>most games should scale to 16:10

does that mean it will scale to the height of the 16:10? Wouldn't that cut off the sides a bit?
>>
>>51415546
im using it for my xbox one and i have no downgrade issues i just had to use my headphones for audio
>>
>>51415868
also HDMI is sorta a slimmer version of DVI just with audio ofc
>>
>>51415880
how do you get audio without hdmi?!?!
>>
>>51415894
1. From controller jack
2. Box that converts HDMI to HDMI and AUDIO outputs
3. Toslink out to a DAC and RCA out
>>
>>51415546
>>>/sqt/
>>
>>51415758
>Wouldn't that cut off the sides a bit?
If you'd scale, yes. But I imagine that you can stretch. I don't have a PS4, so I don't actually know.
>>
>>51415546
HDMI is DVI with audio and ethernet
>>
>>51415894
lol. Such a millenial question.
>>
Christ, do you niggers really think the ps4 outputs anything that isn't a standard tv format? The ps4 is going to output 1080p and you'll have to adjust your monitor's scaling settings to not stretch it.
>>
>>51415568
>DVI doesnt carry audio

yes it does. i use a DVI-HDMI cable for my HTPC and it caries audio just fine.
also, you're a fucking idiot, HDMI and DVI have the exact same pinout on a different connector.
>>
muh gaming
>>
>>51417704
DVI has audio channels numbnuts..
>>
Wait a minute. Why the fuck do you need audio going to your monitor?
Can't you plug a headphone into the PS4, or at least connect the PS4 to the PC on the audio side?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.