[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am remaking MySpace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: myspace1_f.jpg (64 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
myspace1_f.jpg
64 KB, 500x420
Facebook is shit.
Everyone hates it, but can't leave, no good alternative.

I am going to remake the classic MySpace circa 2006.
Simple clean layout, HTML and CSS support. 4chan style ad banners, nothing intrusive, no data mining.
Only 12 photos allowed, so choose your best ones, this ain't a hosting site.
No wall, no like button, people will comment again. The bulletin system will be revamped to a public chat system with all your friends irc style.

Would you join?
>>
Probably not. I use facebook just to share shit and ig to post pictures of my sweet bod. MySpace died because Facebook was better and Facebook died because people stopped liking the idea of Facebook. I'm hoping for a new MSN. I miss that shit.
>>
>>51415367
probably not. All I ever do on facebook is snoop my news feed for a few minutes maybe once a day to see what old friends who moved away are doing.
>>
>>51415367

Sure, you may think those are good choices.

But normies want real-time chatting, giant fucking albums, famous meme-posting faggots to follow, and all sorts of other corporate shit.

Bringing back Top 8 Friends would be chill tho.
>>
>>51415394
But that's just me, maybe people will find it interesting so keep going with your project.
>>
>>51415367
In an instant, let me put up more photos though
>>
File: ice.jpg (41 KB, 640x742) Image search: [Google]
ice.jpg
41 KB, 640x742
Yes, but don't call it myspace. I don't use Facebook but used to love myspace. Facebook forces you to have all these people you kind of know be all up in your business. Myspace was more private in a way.
>>
>>51415367
check this out OP

https://ello.co/beta-public-profiles
>>
File: 17059.jpg (30 KB, 299x192) Image search: [Google]
17059.jpg
30 KB, 299x192
>>51415423
Looks like hipster shit IMO.
All style, shit usability.

This will be a utilitarian site, full of ways to communicate. No clickbait either.

I'm bringing back pic related too, only more modern.
>>
>>51415367
If it was a simple crossplatform site w/ twitter + facebook built in, yes I would.
>>
I'd join
>>
I surely would join it.. Do you have a name in mind for it? Also, remember when the movie 300 came out, and Myspace allowed users to upload a maximum of 300 pictures. That was a monumental moment. lol Also, would you implement the music like the old myspace did, allowing for unknown artists to get started?
>>
>>51415423
Ello died as soon as everyone forgot about it the day after they got an invite and they found out it boring
>>
>>51415367
>Would you join?
no
>>
>>51415466
I remember that too.
No name yet, I'm looking around to see what domains aren't taken. If has to be .com

So far for music I've created a little player that allows you to add youtube urls and it will play them as songs instead of videos to avoid copyright infringement.
>>
I would if it has an anon theme to it.
>>
File: ok.jpg (277 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
277 KB, 2048x1365
>>51415584
>anonymous social media site
>>
File: haram.jpg (97 KB, 533x471) Image search: [Google]
haram.jpg
97 KB, 533x471
> using fb
GET OUT OF /g/ fucking normies
>>
Facebook will shut you down somehow
>>
>>51415629
I don't see the problem. All nodes are named, obviously, but anonymous users can push to named nodes without an ID.
>>
>>51415367
Sure, but the layout itself isn't the problem. The problem is the fact that none of my friends will use it.
>inb4 no friends
>>
Just use LinkedIn like the big boys, junior.
>>
The new generations will never experience this
http://www.mygen.co.uk/index.php?page=layouts&category=4
>>
>>51415367
>Facebook is shit.
Agreed
>Everyone hates it, but can't leave, no good alternative.
LOL, the top social site is the world is hated.. get a load of this guy
>I am going to remake the classic MySpace circa 2006.
why?
>Simple clean layout, HTML and CSS support. 4chan style ad banners, nothing intrusive, no data mining.
4chan ads? who wants to be associated with hackers and edgy 14 year olds? That's right, 14 year olds...
>Only 12 photos allowed, so choose your best ones, this ain't a hosting site.
There goes your popularity...
>No wall, no like button, people will comment again. The bulletin system will be revamped to a public chat system with all your friends irc style.
why? you are making it complicated and horrendous
>Would you join?
Hell no
>>
>>51415768
>4chan ads?
>4chan style ad banners
Reading comprehension. I assume he means static image banner ads only by that.
>>
old myspace was literally the best
>>
Link a join URL?
>>
Good luck OP.
But I hope you realize data mining doesn't happen because they want to, but because they can.
Soon you too will give in to temptation and sell out. It's what everyone does.

power corrupts and all that
>>
>>51415802
Ah I see... ok then, revenue for the site will be very low without intrusive ads then. OP must either be considering building a social pay-to-enter site OR he is willing to put down the monthly costs on keeping the site up.
>>
>>51415367
>Would you join?
No, but I've never joined friendster or any if its clones.
>>
>>51415504
dude , the sound also has copyright , you can't escape the RIAA jews.

If you're going to embed music use soundcloud wich is what most youtubers and indie musicians use to distribute their songs/podcasts.
>>
>>51415367
Can you make it like anti-social? I don't want to have any friends. I don't want to post my image or location. I just want to rant and rave about crazy shit and not reply to other people.
>>
>>51415890
>world's first anti social network!
Brilliant
>>
>>51415890
I don't ever want to be put in a situation where someone "friends" me either. I don't think I could handle it.
>>
>using social media
there's your problem.
>>
>>51415890
You should check out 4chan.org. I think it would be right up your alley.
>>
>>51415367
Eh.

I don't need an additional social media platform. Facebook/twitter/IG cover my needs. While I like the idea of something like you're describing, I don't need an extra platform to maintain.

If you want to make something, make something that *augments* existing platforms.
>>
No one outside the US used MySpace with the exception of bands. That's why it died so quickly, Facebook on the other hand is the most visited site in a lot of countries
>>
>>51415394
>Facebook died
did it?
>>
>>51415367
I would
>>
>>51415423
this looks exactly like tumblr
>>
>>51415367
Yeah, why not, would be fun and nostalgic.
>>
>>51415423
>simplicity
>javascript cancer infected tumor website that doesn't even work or look good
this is stupid, i want the old web not web sjw and indian call center revolution™ think different™ shit
>>
I vaguely agree with the idea, but you'd be better off bringing geocities back than myspace, ill take 'friends page with random funny or cool gifs' over 'some faggot did this at timestamp' any day of the week.
>>
>>51417171
Geocities 2.0 would be great, nobody makes personal homepages anymore.

And yes, the biggest thing about Myspace was the music. I found so many new artists, bands and DJs by just exploring who's friends with whom. Nowadays we have soundcloud for that I guess, but I miss Myspace.
>>
>>51415957
This is a point I think a lot of people miss. "Facebook replacing MySpace" and "new_x" replacing Facebook" is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Even at its height, MySpace was nowhere near what Facebook is today.

>>51415367
>Would you join?
No offense intended, but no.

Personally, to me, social networking was never more than a novelty. I dropped Facebook when the novelty, its only pro, began to wear off, and the cons (ads, privacy invasion, etc.) only increased. Even if you were to eliminate the cons, I don't think you could bring back the novelty to make me want to sign up.

As far as staying in contact with people, those needs are already met by my phone and e-mail. People can not only call, text, or e-mail me, but they can do so from almost any phone or e-mail provider, and vice versa; neither I nor others are tied to a single service or site. Social networking brings nothing to the table for me.
>>
File: neocities-Logo.png (51 KB, 605x275) Image search: [Google]
neocities-Logo.png
51 KB, 605x275
>>51417244
>Geocities 2.0 would be great, nobody makes personal homepages anymore.
literally already exists
>>
>>51417135
> JavaScript that doesn't even work
We talking about Facebook now?
>>
>>51417311
that, too
ello is even worse in terms of pure functionality and looks
>>
>>51417286
Nice, I'll check it out. 100MB limit for free users seems a bit harsh though.
>>
>>51417351
This is not OneDrive, m8
>>
>>51417351
first personal website i made on a free host offered a whopping 3MB
100MB is plenty, you can always link to other stores like dropbox for additional content
>>
I lost my virginity because of MySpace.

It was so easy to meet girls in my area with like-minded interests. For some reason, it's like way harder to do that on Facebook. I think it's because people don't fill out all of the little things they like doing like they did on MySpace. On Facebook, you really just see their face and what school they went to. It's really lame.
>>
>>51415367

DO IT. I'd join for sure.
>>
>>51417318
Wow didn't think that was possible
>>
>>51415367
Yes, I would be happy to join
Mail me at [email protected]
>>
>>51415367
Your answering my social media prayers
>>
>>51415367
>no likes

But people post in facebook for the likes, why would they waste time on yours?
>>
IT's not about the quality of the site. it's about weather it's cool. Facebook beat myspace because of the way it was rolled out exclusively to certain colleges to start with
>>
>>51417675

Should've stayed that way.
>>
>>51417094
didn't it?
>>
>>51415423
Even minds.com looks better
>>
>>51415367
I don't care either way because I don't use social networks.
>>
>those faggots doesn't use GNU approved social media
stay pleb

https://gnusocial.no/main/public
https://gnusocial.de/main/public
https://quitter.no/
>>
Nice blog.
>>
>>51415423
>a network based on anonymity
>profiles with your name
>>
>>51415367

Call it /g/spot :^)
>>
>>51417094
In terms of how it used to operate, yes.
>>
File: diaspora.png (3 KB, 339x80) Image search: [Google]
diaspora.png
3 KB, 339x80
Diaspora exists and does everything better.

>centralized social media
>ever going to respect privacy

Diaspora* has by far the best idea of what good social media should entail, FOSS, can be hosted on your own server, full control of data. And one of the most important features: it integrates with all big social media platforms for the normies.

https://joindiaspora.com/
>>
Facebook is fucking cancer. I stopped using it years ago and don't miss it at all. The only form of "social media" that I use is this glorious oragami Mongolian image board. I can basically say whatever the fuck I want and sometimes have constructive debates or arguments without worrying about hurting feelings.
>>
>>51420153
I would like to add though that even creating a mock up or some of the back-end for a basic SocM site like you described will do wonders for your portfolio and could quite possibly land you a pretty gud job.

So don't be dissuaded and go for it OP.
>>
I would join. Do it op pls Facebook is cancer. No media and sharing articles pls
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.