[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD 'Zen' Who is believing it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
Aside from their constant GPU market 'hype trains', It feels like the only reason AMD hasn't gone under when you consider how even the best AMD chip being worse performance-wise than over a hundred current nameable Intel ones, is poor people and lazy console R&D, oh and the fact that Intel hasn't managed to corner the market on budget chips, they only look forward.

The fact that for the price you just can't do better than an AMD chip is really keeping them from sinking. But it's also not giving them enough R&D money of their own to actually ever catch up. The fact is: CPU's are an investment, they last a freaking LONG time, essentially forever in my experiences, before burning out whether it's AMD or Intel. the vast majority of people, even those who would be fine with an AMD, save up a little more to get that delicious Intel performance that will mean more if they still are using it 5 or 10 years from now.

For these and other reasons I really have to be skeptical about this new Zen chip, is it fluff like it's always been? I remember netburst and K8 "10 GHZ SPEEDS" meme, and so many others like it. Are we really expecting anything other than marginal improvements? How did they even manage to make such advancements with the state they're in?
>>
>>51413261
>the best AMD chip being worse performance-wise than over a hundred current nameable Intel ones

Name them.
>>
was an AMDfag until I got tired of the noisy space heater in my room
>>
>>51413278
i7-6700K
i5-6600K
i7-6700K
i7-5930K
i5-6600
i7-5950HQ
i7-5775C
i7-4770K
i5-4690K
i7-5820K
i3-6100
i7-4790
i7-6820HK
i5-6500
i7-4690X
Xeon E3-1271 v3
I7 4930K
i5-5675C
i5-4670K
i7-3970X
i7-4940MX
Xeon E3-1276 v3
i7-4770
Intel Pentium G4500
Xeon E3-1275 V3
I7-3770K
i7-4771
Xeon E3-1241 V3
i5-4690
i7-4790s
Xeon E3-1246 v3

Ugh i could keep going but there's 88 more before the FX-9590's benchmarks finally show up, but you get the idea.
>>
AMD hasn't "gone under" because they're still pulling $5,000,000,000~ a year in revenue.

The Zen core arch has a 40% IPC uplift over Excavator per core, their new cache system is significantly higher bandwidth and lower latency than what they've been using. Thats all anyone needs to know about it until the Summit Ridge line is released later next year.
>>
>>51413261
Call me when Zen is incorporated into mainstream laptops so I can compare its consumption and efficiency against my Intel laptop.

I can't imagine people using desktops, its easier to take your work and games with you on the go. Internet is available everywhere.
>>
>almost identical performance in any modern, well-designed program
>intel only exceeds at poorly designed shit and even that not by much
>amd is cheaper
>amd doesn't put out fucking beta quality processors
>amd isn't a fucking botnet
Why the fuck does any sane goddamn person use Intel?
>>
>>51413580
Not until 2017.
>>
>>51413603
Its about heat and battery consumption on laptops and mobile devices which dominate the market. Simply pushing "gaming" desktop CPU's is the reason why they got fucked and can't sustain their market share.
>>
>>51413625
So overpowered laptops which makes no sense (lol, "gaming" laptops, fuck that), mobile devices which are shit by definition, BAWWWMAHPOWER idiots that can't find a damn plugin because they apparently live in the fucking sticks, and nugamers that care more about graphics than gameplay.

Typical braindead Intel users.
>>
>>51413625
>Its about heat and battery consumption on laptops and mobile devices which dominate the market.
Laptops and smartphones/tablets are two different animals. How much is Intel's marketshare when it comes to non-laptop mobile devices?
>>
>>51413674
cost efficiency, 1600$ laptop for 600$ desktop performance has ramifications outside of 'gaymen' which is not what this thread is even about.
>>
>>51413722
>1600$
The dollar sign goes before the number, which you should have learned in fucking grade school even if you don't use the fucking dollar as your currency.

>ramifications
So basically to waste fucking money. Laptops are made to be basic computers, not fucking quality workstations.
>>
Skylake is proof that Zen needs to deliver.
>>
>>51413603
Emulators
>>
AMD 'FURY' Who is believing it?
>>
>>51413393
I get higher scores on cinebench with my fx 8350 than some of these
>>
>>51413781
Actually most of the world use it after (1600€) you murrishits are weird and retarded, just like your measures and time/date and every retardation else you shitted over
>>
>>51413887
Why? Is it shit?
>>
>>51413261
My 8350 gets better performance than an i7 for about half the price. lol at this threader.
>>
>>51413954

if that would be true, how comes eveyone buy intel?
>>
>>51413580
>Internet is available everywhere
where do you live?
>>
>>51413934
>goes on american website full of americans
>gets mad over the correct way to shove currency signs up your ass
>>
Zen is AMD's last chance for me. If they can make a chip as powerful at least as a stock i7-5960x in multi-core performance then I'm buying their zen chip.
>>
>>51413934
Fahrenheit is a much better system for daily usage than Celsius. Ideally you want the temperatures most commonly seen to be somewhere in the range of 0-100, which is exactly what Fahrenheit does, with 0° being 'damn cold' and 100° being 'fucking hot'. A scale like Celsius where at -20° everyone's cold, at 40° everyone's hot, and 100° everyone is dead is ridiculous outside of scientific applications, and maybe cooking. This why Americans use both. And yes, we do use Celsius, we're taught it in school and it's required for anything academic past the 8th grade.
>>
File: ArmpitUnitsOfMeasurement.png (338 KB, 1859x1292) Image search: [Google]
ArmpitUnitsOfMeasurement.png
338 KB, 1859x1292
>>51414104
>defending armpit-based units of measurement
>>
>>51414104
>with 0° being 'damn cold' and 100° being 'fucking hot'

Where did that logic go with your other measurement systems?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.