[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the future of nuclear power /g/? >hard mode: no thorium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12
File: v1h4fa2nijmr1zke6w1g.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1986) Image search: [Google]
v1h4fa2nijmr1zke6w1g.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1986
What is the future of nuclear power /g/?

>hard mode: no thorium
>>
Fusion. For fission molten salts. You know what the coolest thing about molten salt is? It's that the reactor can operate at ambient pressure! So you don't have to worry about a pressure vessel that's gonna rupture eventually(~years) and spew radioactives everywhere.
>>
>>51410425
The future of nuclear power is india. The country is developing rapidly and soon become the #1 nuclear super power. Have a look at this before you all go crazy: http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-nuclear-power-in-the-year-of-modi-2086759
>>
>>51410911
poo in loo?
>>
>>51410425
I have no idea but that is an absolutely beautiful piece of engineering.
>>
>>51410911
DESIGNATED
>>
>>51410911
You mean #1 in feces power. If we harvest their 2 billion open defecators, we can have unlimited power.
>>
>>51410425
In 10 years:

>Money will be poured into fusion maymays that ultimately do not work
>Smog from oil and coal plants will black out the skies
>Envirokeks will convince normies that nuclear should be banned completely, and that we should switch to using thin silicon crystals and spinning fans to get our electricity
>Everyone gets assigned an "environment quota" and the cops beat the shit out of you for exceeding it
>>
>>51411846
SHITTING
>>
>>51414045
STREETS
>>
>>51414045
PLANTS
>>
>>51410911
nuke in loo
>>
>>51410911
>Can't even poo in loo
>Being a leader in nuclear power
>>
>>51414261
World's a crazy place ja?
>>
>>51410590
>Salt
What is Chernobyl?
>>
Go home /pol/, your house is the one across the street.
>>
>>51414760
stop fucking mentioning Chernobyl in 2015

USA scientists != USSR monkeys
>>
candu? :^)
>>
>>51414760
That's like talking about early rocket failures and saying "this is why we shouldn't bother with space"
>>
>>51414760
Chernobyl was a Boiling Water Reactor, and the worst possible design for a BWR at that.
>>
Doug Coulter and company should have fusion figured out before they all die, I hope. Coultersmithing.com
>>
>stop mentioning Chernobyl

if the melting core fell into the cooling room, which they concreted up despite most of them dying, the resulting explosion would have taken out half of europe.

threadly reminder.

self sustaining fusion is the future, and I can't possible see what can go wrong with making a star on earth...lucky for us they have no idea how to make one and won't until they go back and rediscover transmutation from alchemy days.

>inb4 alchemy isn't real
Issac Newton had other theories.
>>
>>51416307
>go back and rediscover transmutation from alchemy days.
>Issac Newton had other theories.
Are you for real? That's dumber than the Tesla bullshit.
>>
>>51410425
Two words: Solar power. All the STEM fags get hard for a picture like that. Yes, but it's an antiquated technology. That includes Fusion and fission.

Fission is the dumbest solution. Fusion not far behind.

When solar is the dominate energy, you'll look silly.
>>
>>51416387
Is this nigga for real?
>>
>>51416387
>solar
>ever dominant
When the entire earth is encapsulated in panels it might just reach the energy demand
>>
>>51416484
>what is a Dyson Sphere
>>
I'm really crossing my fingers for innovations in energy.

I want batteries in portable devices to have seemingly unlimited power and for energy around the house to be so renewable and free that I can light up my house like a Christmas tree 24/7 and not feel bad about "wasting money."

We're living in the stone age right now. I foresee the future being very "cyberpunk"-like when we get to get to the point where electricity is basically free in its abundance. Everything will be bright, people will put LED's in EVERYTHING. The future will literally be bright neon lights everywhere, way more than shit is lit up now.
>>
>>51414244
Imagine if the next fallout game was to be set in India.
Irradiated poop everywhere.
>>
anyone have work in the industry?
I'm a NEET right now but this has always been an interest of mine
>>
>>51416307
>the resulting explosion would have taken out half of europe.
Not even the biggest nukes in existence can do that.
It's better to throw multiple warheads because of vertical energy that's wasted anyway.
>>
>>51410425
I hope nuclear power will die. There's been too many fuck ups.
Accidents are played down,
damages are paid up by the state, not the company inflicting it,
there is no solution to waste,
depending on the reactor type it allows for nuclear weapons, etc. etc.

That's just the surface, it's another story to how the uranium ore gets mined and brought to the reactors.
>>
>>51417451
You're kidding me
>>
>>51419694
>accidents are played down
No. They are actually exaggerated af.
>>
>>51420052
Yes I am.
>>
>>51420162
>3 mile isle
NO ONE WAS EVEN FUCKING IRADIATED
>>
>>51416069
As I recall it was also designed around producing material for nuclear weapons, not safety or sustainability.
>>
>>51416334
Isaac Newton did believe in Alchemy. I don't, mind, but that particular tidbit is true.
>>
>>51417533
You want to work in the science side of it?
Get a PhD from somewhere like MIT or Harvard and hope for the best. Or join the Navy and somehow survive their Nuke course.

You just want to work at a reactor? Learn all forms of welding, be damn good at it, and live a life that when they do a background check on you shows you are a dedicated and hardworking person who can be trusted.
>>
>>51410425
I don't think it will ever completely disappear, but over the next hundred years like 99.9% of municipal power will switch to wind/solar production.
>>
>>51417533
Actual nuclear engineer checking in. In specific I'm a graduate student that's almost finished and has worked with two different national labs. If you have any specific questions I can give you some answers.
>>
>>51415308
at least they were able to build a rocket
>>
>>51417495
kek, good luck getting corporate giants to follow suit.
>>
File: Fireball vertical section.gif (232 KB, 1024x1289) Image search: [Google]
Fireball vertical section.gif
232 KB, 1024x1289
>>51410425
I think Molten Salt Reactors are the way to go. They've got shitloads of passive safety measures. The nuclear reaction gets out of control and your fuel starts heating up? Its already liquid so no meltdown, and the Fuel Expands, forcing it out of the core and into its coolant loop where it is no longer critical. It keeps heating up for god knows why? A plug on the bottom melts and divides up the fuel into a bunch of separate containment tanks, none of which hold enough fuel to go critical. Pic semirelated. Its a design for a molten salt aircraft reactor, but it shows the general layout of the reactor core.
>>
>>51421739
You realize when they say 'melt down' the melt part isn't referring to the fuel right, but what the fuel is touching?

I don't know enough to comment on this particular design but 'it's already liquid' doesn't effect what happens when it burns through containment methods and irradiates everything around it.
>>
RBMK STRONK!
Fuck windtrbine!
>>
File: Molten_Salt_Reactor.png (381 KB, 2000x1467) Image search: [Google]
Molten_Salt_Reactor.png
381 KB, 2000x1467
>>51421825
The meltdown starts when a reactors fuel elements start to melt. Anything else that melts is merely a side effect caused by the heat of the melting fuel.

It can't burn through the containment. There's a plug at the bottom of the main coolant loop (The fuel doubles as the primary coolant loop). This plug has a much lower melting temperature than anything else exposed to the fuel. If the fuel heats up past a certain point, this plug will melt draining the reactor long before anything else would be damaged.
>>
>>51421739
>>51421825

I'd like to point out that in a meltdown event, the fuel can melt. In a loss of coolant accident, the clad will melt first and then the fuel (assuming we are talking about typical commercial LWRs).

There hasn't been a lot of accident analysis, or analysis at all really on molten salt reactors. The problem is largely economic. We have a lot of research and data on current light water reactors. The DOE isn't focusing on molten salt, and the industry has no reason to fund it, so it likely won't see the light of day in the US. I know China is doing a lot of work in this area, but I can't comment on that since I'm not familiar with their experiments.
>>
>>51421990

There actually has been a decent amount of accident analysis on Molten Salt Reactors. During the 50s the USAF put a lot of work into using them to power nuclear aircraft. Unfortunately a lot of this analysis is not necessarily applicable to a commercial reactor. Commercial reactors don't have the risk of slamming into a mountain at mach 1.
>>
>>51420162
This x1000.

>>51419694
Chernobyl was a huge fuckup. The second worst nuclear disaster ever is Fukushima. Two people were exposed to a dose that may invoke cancer somewhat sooner in life and the three people that died, died of reason unrelated to radiation. There was, apart from Chernobyl, a single incident where two workers in a Japanese plant died from radiation. Any other deaths in power plants were unrelated to the fact that it was a nuclear plant. Chernobyl is the only real argument people that are against nuclear energy have, and that was based on a terribly designed plant.

Now you go and defend the millions of people that die from the exhaust fumes of coal plants every year.
>>
>>51421945
>>51421990
This is correct. But the fuel being solid or molten or any other state isn't the point of 'melting down'. It's more accurately called 'melting through'. Down is more a function of gravity then part of why this is bad.

So molten salt being liquid doesn't make it any less likely to melt down (or rather, through) it's containment then if it was solid. If it gets hot enough to melt that ball, it's going to end poorly for everyone around it.
>>
>>51422309
And I'd like to point out I'm not saying it's more or less likely to do so then other methods. Just your statement of 'it's already liquid' has no bearing on if it can or can't 'melt down'.
>>
>>51422309
It won't end poorly if the plug melts. That's the entire point of the plug. The plug melts, the fuel drains into the dump pits, and your reactor, your plant, and everything but the plug and the fuel survives unscathed (With the exception of courseof any damage that may have led to the situation where your plug melted.) You could probably even recycle most of the dumped fuel.
>>
>>51410911
POOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>51410425
Red mercury
>>
>>51422418
As I said in >>51422392 I'm not commenting on that reactor design, but your statement that it being liquid makes it impossible to melt down.

The fuel melting is a side effect of the Oh Shit thing that is happening when something 'melts down'.
>>
>>51422572
I think the point that's trying to be made is that a meltdown is relatively safe for a MSR. Once the plug melts, the fuel is diverted to emergency tanks.

The fuel is already melted inside the molten salt so there isn't a large radiation release like there is when traditional fuel does. The concern when traditional fuel melts is the fission products and such can escape the facility and cause harm.
>>
>>51414760
So guess what m8? Chernobyl didn't use salt. Chernobyl had a pressurized reactor core. With molten salts you don't pressurize the reactor core(or pressure is pretty low), so you don't run into problems with reactors going pop like chernobyl did.
>>
>>51416484
If the entire earth was covered in solar panels, we could meet all our energy needs many times over.
>>
File: 1447954846726[1].png (2 MB, 2000x1356) Image search: [Google]
1447954846726[1].png
2 MB, 2000x1356
>>51410911
PUT SOME SPICE IN MY FECES
THIS IS MY HARDEST POO
DEFECATION
HARD BREATHING
DON'T GIVE A SHIT IF MY ASS IS STILL BLEEDING
WOULD IT BE WRONG WOULD IT BE RIGHT
IF I SHIT IN THE STREET TONIGHT
CHANCES ARE THAT I MIGHT
SANITATION OUT OF SIGHT
AND I'M POOPING BEHIND A BUSH TONIGHT
CUZ I'M
POOPING OUT GOAT
POOPING OUT SPICE
WISH SOMEONE WOULD GIVE ME SOME RICE
POOPING OUT GOAT
POOPING OUT SPICE
WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAND ME SOME WIPES
NOTHING IS CLEAN
NOTHING IS WIPED
I'M POOPING IN THE STREET TONIGHT
>>
>>51421833
Kek
>>
File: cereal-killer.png (103 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
cereal-killer.png
103 KB, 400x225
>>51414760
>Molten salt reactor
>Chernobyl
>>
>>51415336
>candu

That's the sort of attitude we like around here!
>>
>>51416307
>if the melting core fell into the cooling room, which they concreted up despite most of them dying, the resulting explosion would have taken out half of europe.

I'd like you to sit down and perform the calculations there.

You're still talking about a steam explosion: hot material flashing water into steam. Go figure out how much water you need convert to steam instantly to cause an explosion big enough to take out half of europe.
>>
>>51422883
I've read if we turned North Dakota into a giant wind farm or turned Utah into a giant solar array we could meet energy demand with lots to spare.

So why not both? It's not like we are doing anything important with either. Hell, ND already has a whole energy sector hot spot vibe going for it.
>>
>>51422959
The most terrifying part of working on a boiler is when someone sat down and explained the 'Death Cloud' to me.

But it would be fairly localized. Would probably only kill everyone in the plant, damage would be much less severe the further you got away.
>>
>>51422990
The largest issues are efficiency, and more importantly energy storage. Solar and wind don't produce constant and predictable sources of energy. This is fine of course, but we don't have cheap and efficient energy storage. Without that wind and solar will never be a baseload power source.
>>
>>51423025
Honestly no idea what the fuck you're talking about with a death cloud and I do research for a living.
>>
>>51423069
When a boiler explodes it puts out a huge cloud of super heated steam. The death cloud. I have no idea if this is an industry term or what we called it but you can look it up.

Most boilers are running well more then hot enough that the steam will kill who ever is caught is caught in the inner parts of the cloud, but being steam it does temper off the further away you get.
>>
>>51422990
I dont know about the wind, but solar kinda gets btfo by night time

Also, solar panels are only built to last 20 or so years so even at the rate people are buying them in the us currently, we will never produce enough to cover our asses
>>
>>51423203

I assume you're implying a scenario where a steam generator at a nuclear plant builds up too much steam, explodes, and kills people with hot steam? This is have never happened and is highly unlikely. There's multiple mechanisms, such as pressure relief valves, to ensure such a situation doesn't happen. Even if it did, there's no people next to the SG, and the containment building is more than adequate to contain such an event.
>>
>>51423294
Boilers are used in way more then nuclear power plants. The three I worked with where at a lumber mill, where they used them to cure the wood in a few hours instead of several months. Among other things.
>>
>>51422897
Took me less than two lines to pick up on the melody
>>
>>51423294
You are aware that the first explosion during the Chernobyl disaster happened during exactly the situation you described? After their wonderfully planned experiment led to the reactor outputting more than ten times its normal thermal output, one of the boilers couldn't manage the resulting increased pressure and exploded. The Chenobyl reactor operator's experiment wasn't even close to normal operations, but saying that a steam explosion has never happened at a nuclear plant is only possible if you ignore the worst nuclear disaster ever to have happened.
>>
Solar is quite consistent in the right areas. The biggest improvement in life however will come from battery tech - that is where you should all invest.
In a home grid situation, if every house had solar panels and battery's, we could have a mainly High DC network, way more efficient then ac.
>>
>>51424757
You're correct. I often forget that it was a steam explosion because it's not what we conventionally think about as a steam explosion. Typically I think about steam explosions as a result of a loss of coolant accident, and typically supercriticality is treated as a separate issue.

You could probably even classify Fukushima as an explosion because iirc there was a minor explosion due to hydrogen buildup.
>>
File: nuclear_power.png (1 MB, 1788x1435) Image search: [Google]
nuclear_power.png
1 MB, 1788x1435
Reminder that the public will never support nuclear.
>>
>>51425124
>Batteries
>>
>>51425124
>High DC network, way more efficient then ac.
And many, many times more dangerous.
I have worked with DC and the one thing that scares the shit out of you is when they show you vids of what can happen if you accidentally start an arc.
With AC, arcs are self-extinguishing. With DC, they aren't. A DC arc will eat you. It'll eat your tools. I've had screwdrivers turn to vapor.
AC is efficient and safe. Try changing voltages or regulating current with DC.
>>
>>51412654
>>Smog from oil and coal plants will black out the skies
NOW THATS A FUCKING MAYMAY!
THERE SHUTTING ALL THE FUCKING THINGS DOWN!
AND IVE HEARD THEY WANT TO ALSO SHUT DOWN DUNGENESS!
>>
>>51421739
>Twitch.tv

Well aren't you going to say nice meme?
>>
>those retards who campaign against nuclear by insisting we could power the world with solar or wind or other meme power sources

End of civilization can't come soon enough lads.
>>
>>51414760
What is being retarded
>>
File: 1446124910419.png (109 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1446124910419.png
109 KB, 625x626
>>51410911
Pajeet, my son
>>
>>51422990
>It's not like we are doing anything important with either.
You realize the Dakotas are home to one of our ICBM fields, right? I'd call that pretty important.
>>
File: yourreactorfuashit.jpg (349 KB, 800x1130) Image search: [Google]
yourreactorfuashit.jpg
349 KB, 800x1130
>>51415822
That's actually a bad arguement anon as little has been gained from putting a man on the moon except, FU to the russians.

Achievements such as putting satellites in orbit were far more piratical to those living on this planet.

Otherwise the space program was just one big jerking contest between america and russia.

Nuclear power should be championed over nuclear weapons.

Calder hall in the uk was designed to produce weapons grade plutonium as its main function and not to produce power.

this is wrong nuclear technology should be used to build and not destroy.

of course a large percent of this problem stems (no pun intended) from the governments choosing war.

this is also a major sticking point for those against nuclear power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THTR-300

>best reactorfu reporting in
>>
File: 1397612668649.jpg (358 KB, 1000x752) Image search: [Google]
1397612668649.jpg
358 KB, 1000x752
>>51417533
Just do it yourself be a fusioneer.
>>
>>51427175
>Liberal commie detected
Kill your self
>>
>>51427236
>Hey look at this kid he made a nuclear fusor
IIRC there's a guide in Make magazine for that and even a kit.
>>
>>51427053
Meh. Not as important as you'd think t bh
>>
>>51427175
dis nig doesn't think going tot the moon is worth it
>>
>>51410425
Small Modular Reactors instead of chinese/french megastations which cost far too much, we got screwed over recently.

CHRISTOPHER BOOKER: £24billion and counting! Lunacy of the biggest white elephant in Britain which costs as much as the Crossrail, Heathrow Terminal works and London 2012 Olympics put together

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3197220/CHRISTOPHER-BOOKER-Lunacy-biggest-white-elephant-Britain.html

"New energy minister Andrea Leadsom has given the strongest signal yet that the Government is looking to support a new era of factory-built, nuclear power stations - with a Newcastle company leading the way on their development in the UK.

Amidst a growing sense of frustration and hand-wringing over the delays in the current nuclear programme, new hope has emerged that support is on the way for a home-grown generation of Small Modular Reactors (SMR).

Newcastle company Penultimate Power, formed by long-standing nuclear power advocate Ian Fells, emeritus professor of energy at Newcastle University, was created in 2012 to develop SMRs.

It is the only UK company positioned to do so and wants to develop a manufacturing plant in the region and trial the world’s first SMR on land next to the existing Hartlepool nuclear power plant.

A recently published Governemnt report concluded there is a massive opportunity for the UK and its supply chain to become a world-leader.

And now the Government has committed a further £3m on additional work to determine the potential development and deployment of SMRs - having acknowledged there is a two-year time window for Britain to become a world-leader."

http://nuclear-news.net/2015/08/01/hartlepool-trawsfynydd-small-modular-reactors/

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business/newcastle-company-head-push-create-9612055
>>
>>51410425
Thorium and nuclear waste recycling plants (like the one bill gates is funding)
>>
>>51427371
>like the one bill gates is funding

Open Source Enthusiasts Dreaming Of Energy Solutions

"As many of you probably know, open source fusion is an active community. Mark, a web developer, found his way into it three years ago, inspired by the fact that the open source projects he was seeing were precursors to the reactor he wanted to build, the polywell.

So much can be said about the ambitiousness of this project: that Mark hopes to achieve “the world’s first superconducting Bussard Reactor”, or that the goal is a “definitive energy solution” via breakeven fusion. I asked Mark how he felt being a one-man show with such lofty hopes, and he explained – awesomely – that he feels more like the coordinator of a collaborative effort. A lot of the direction he pursues comes from the larger community and from the active commenters on his site: Prometheus Fusion Perfection. (As an aside, PFP just hired an intern, supported by the Hodson Trust Internship Program."

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2012/04/16/open-source-enthusiasts-dreaming-of-energy-solutions
>>
>>51427268
For a start nuclear war is a waste of fissile material, just like dynamite in bombs are a waste of blasting material.

Look up how the nobel prize started, and put down that burger spurdo.
>>
>>51427302
For what purpose?

So you can see 3 yanks dancing about and you can drink a budweiser and talk about "american exceptionalism".

Yeah outside of the states that doesn't add up.
>>
>>51410425
The future is it's dead because everyone is retarded and doesn't know it's ultra safe.
>>
>>51421647
Whats the deal with those mangets?
>>
>>51421647
what school and what labs. i want to get into livermore for fusion but currently in undergrad, tho ive taken some grad level fusion courses. can you hook me up [spoiler]senpai[/spoiler]

FRC fusion is the true master race btw
>>
>>51420944
it could have been prevented so many times but the operators didnt know that the POR valve was stuck open because they were going by the water level in the pressurizer. if they would have closed the PORV in the first 2 hours the HPIS would have taken care of everything
>>
>>51427560
>coal and gas plants regularly kill more people in a year than all of the nuclear accidents combine
>people hate nuclear power because MUH CHERNOBYL

It's really just more proof that libtards are every bit as retarded as conservatives.
>>
>>51410911
This fucking stupid anon has my irl name.....fuck you you're a disgrace to Indians
>>
>>51427879
>>51421647
answer me you radioactive slut
>>
Finally something that belongs more on /g/ than bait, Android vs ios shilling, and circlejerk generals

Fusion. Any form as long as it has a stable byproduct. Or else a more powerful solar cell with extreme % of efficiently like 95%-100%. Maybe even space panels that are big but don't block out the sun too much. I've seen plenty of those ideas in science magazines even in the early 2000's.
>>
>>51427973
I'm on the east coast and do work with PNNL and ORNL. I don't know anyone at Livermore, sorry bro.

>>51427879
We don't use many in nuclear reactors man so no idea how magnets work
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.