[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Linux OS is good for a beginner Linux user?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 12
File: Lin OS.jpg (25 KB, 452x291) Image search: [Google]
Lin OS.jpg
25 KB, 452x291
>/g/ says linux is greatest.
>Has no idea why.
>Trusts /g/ indefinitely.

Any Linux OS's that you all could recommend to a beginner user?
>>
Gentoo
>>
Debian testing
>>
arch linux or funtoo
>>
>>51406692
>>51406716
these too are good, but i think these could be too hard for beginner, i would go with slackware OP
>>
dont listen to all these faggots

any one of the *buntus (kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu)
or linux mint
>>
File: Eh_Eh_Eh_Eh..._SpongeBob.gif (683 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Eh_Eh_Eh_Eh..._SpongeBob.gif
683 KB, 450x300
OP here.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what's the diff between each flavor of linux?

Again sorry i'm just a networking guy trying to learn more.
>>
>>51406746
>says distros with the best package managers are too hard
>recommends distro that has no package management

topkek, use slackware OP

>>51406786
kill yourself my man, Ubuntu is spyware.
>>
>>51406786
Idk man I just get some bad vibes from those distros that use apt-get package manager or whatever, I don't know like Jack shit about Loomis but I feel a bad mojo about em
>>
any ubuntu based system for a beginner, debian feels too serverish for me, even though you could remove shit like exim4 and whatnot, you could use fedora or opensuse, but imo ubuntu based systems is the best for starters or just people who want to get on with shit.

but anyway just realize linux is a kernel, each distro is nothing but a different userland experience, you can either have it mostly done for you or a more stripped down approach where you'd have to do more to get where you want to and that just puts off the typical beginner.
>>
>>51406818
Is Xubuntu spyware?
>>
>>51406810
>>51406686
Depends, OP.

I would say try Antergos, and after you get some experience, switch to another distro that doesn't have systemd or manually cleave it out of your system.
>>
>>51406858
xubuntu is based on ubuntu, it shared the same botnets
>>
>>51406882
Which botnets?
>>
>>51406870
OP again.
I'm assuming "systemd" is bad?
>>
>>51406810
How can you be a "networking guy" without knowing Linux? Does not compute.

>>51406858
No but people tend to pick Xubuntu because it's lightweight, but Debian with Xfce is lighter.
>>
>>51406898
Well what I mean by this is just that i'm studying networking. Sorry for le confusion
>>
>>51406894
Well.. Kinda, it depends on how much you value privacy and hate NSA.

Just google the systemd controversy m8.
>>
>>51406898
but xubuntu, like any *buntu, is plug and play.
thats why is recomended for beginners, or anyone that wants something that just werks.
>>
serious answer: debian or xubuntu
>>
D E B I A N
E
B
I
A
N
>>
>>51406892
all of them
>>
>>51406947

OP here,

Well although that sound convenient I kinda just want to be able to do everything my own way if you know what I mean. So instead of just letting a USB Pnp I have to enable the port. I am more used to doing things that way because cisco routers and shit.
>>
Another newfag here. I'm not interested in distributions which hide the complexity behind scripts and guis, catering to users who wants "out of the box" experience. I'm looking for a well structured and well documented distro which can be a rewarding experience and a constant source of fun to someone who's willing to learn. I guess my question is, which Linux distro is the closest to *BSD in philosophy?
>>
>>51407092
Well if you are gonna use your computer to learn, the go nuts! Use whatever.

For a while i used a buntu with Awesome WM on top, so i got the more barebones experience.
But i went back to mate and xfce when my life started getting busy.

There are distros and flavors for every kind of user, and you can tweak any distro to your liking.

Arch will teach you a lot about how everything works. I have played a bit with arch on VM, just for fun.

Buntus work out of the box, and you can move on with your life. They are also easier to use.

only you know what you want to do with your computer...
>>
>>51406686
OP I'm gonna be real with you. Use crunchbang (#!) more recently known as Bunsenlabs Linux. It's fast, clean, stable, and easy to install.
>>
>>51407217
That's all I ask for, is people to give me their honest opinion.

i'll check it out. I currently have like 12 tabs open reading up on each of these.
>>
>>51407133
Arch, back in 2012.
>>
>>51407217
Im curious, why bunsenlabs over crunchbangplusplus?

I am a happy *buntu user, but #! was always appealing to me.
>>
I've only used Mint for any duration.
It's easy enough for even my wife to use, and she's quite tech illiterate.
>>
>>51407257
I was distro-hopping for about a month before I settled into Bunsen. I just really enjoy the minimalist nature of it and how easy it easy to get things done. For me, it feels like they really worked hard making things as fluid as possible. For reference I tried xubutu, opensuse 13, arch (via architect), and mint before I settled on Bunsen.
>>
>>51407358
Do you dual boot or just have Brunsen running?
>>
>>51407316
Honestly, I only chose busen over #!++ because of the team that maintains it. I really appreciated them respecting the original creators request to not continue the #! name and choosing something like bunsen labs (I'm assuming named after Bunsen Honeydew) is a really nice tribute to the original maintainer.

The forums are also more helpful for bunsen I asked the same question in each "how do I install chromium?" (which isn't hard to do) bunsen provided a LITERAL step by step process with screenshots and #!++ told me to RTFM.
>>
>>51407390
No dual boot, just Bunsen.
>>
>Trusts /g/ indefinitely.
Bad idea
>>
File: 12330963497.gif (2 MB, 343x302) Image search: [Google]
12330963497.gif
2 MB, 343x302
>>51407217
>>51407257
>I'm too retarded to installl openbox on debian: the distro
>>
>>51407426
Cool, thanks for the answer!

I wanted to know if there was any real difference between the 2.

I will give bunsens a try when i have some time.
>>
>>51407448
Yeah... I could sit down and do it myself or just use a system that someone else has spent a lot of time putting together... why would I ever want to be efficient.
>>
>>51407448
but you do that, then you need to go for themes, make it look pretty and all that shit.

I dont have the skill nor the time to make it look as nice as a ready made distro.
>>
Ooensuse
>>
OP here,
Will try out Bunsen when I get back from work.

Thanks for all the option guys. I always have a good time on /g/.Wink wink*.
>>
>>51406686

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Open Suse.

All those distros are good for novice Linux users.
>>
>>51407133
Install Gentoo.
>>
File: 1443475268442.jpg (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1443475268442.jpg
18 KB, 500x375
>>51407490
>linux
>efficiency
>>
>>51407607
Nobody recommends that obscure piece of shit, unless you are not OP and just some shill.

Anyway OP if you are still here then use Fedora or Ubuntu.
>>
>>51407490
>why would I ever want to be efficient.
>efficient
>linux
Are you fucking serious?

Anyway, plebs wanting neet-tier, riced desktops without any effort are worse than archfags desu senpai
>>
not a beginner, but i like ubuntu because you can search the problem and find lots of solutions.

using it in my desktop, just because I don't want to put too much effort in getting it to work.
>>
File: lookingGood.png (217 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
lookingGood.png
217 KB, 1366x768
>>51407673
Why cant someone have a nice desktop, and then go to fucking work??

I like my desktop pretty, i dont want to spend time on it. Mainly cause i dont have that time.
>>
>has no idea why

Because it's free and easy to use if you can read a man page but also infinitely useful because you can easily modify things to perfectly fit your needs

90% of my job now is just rolling out servers with ansible
>>
>>51407851
Plenty of time to shitpost on /g/ though eh m8. Got a screenshot of your nice desktop btw?
>>
>>51408038
montecarlos take long enough to shitpost, not long enough to rice the fucking thing.

That screenshot is my desktop (look at the firefox window). didnt rice it myself, is mate out of the box.
>>
>>51406686
Listen to >>51406786. Also, you could use openSUSE; it's pretty beginner-friendly
>>
Using Xubuntu was the worst computing decision I've made as of late. Would not recommend it to a beginner.

Go with ordinary Ubuntu+Amazon removal or install another beginner distro with your DE of choice.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT listen to /g/ and their retarded hate for Unity. Unless you're on older hardware, I personally would recommend it for beginners until, of course, you're prepared to branch out.
>>
>>51408359
Care to explain your dislike for Xubuntu?
>>
>>51408248
But that's not a nice desktop, at all.
>>
>>51408426
i like it. is better than anything i would do xD
>>
>>51407278
>>51407648
Thanks, will try both.
>>
>>51408390
XFCE is a buggy mess and Xubuntu isn't the out-of-the-box experience that many here seem to claim. In a nutshell, it can be slightly off-putting or completely fuck up a novice's perception of Linux.

Really, if you are to try Xubuntu, let it be your third or second distro. Do not let be your first.
>>
>>51408461
>XFCE is a buggy mess
The what now? I've seen a lot of complaints about it being dated and boring looking, but buggy? I -wish- half the DEs out there were as stable. Cinnamon is a mess in comparison.

Besides out of the box you have basically something that works like windows with an application store. There's nothing complicated about it unless your first "computing" experience was using an android phone. I'd definitely raise an eyebrow if I was a complete novice the first thing they showed me when I used Ubuntu was a window with shortcuts and a menu where's much easier to type which program you need than actually finding it.
>>
>>51406686
keep your /home folder in a separate partition and try all of them

>antergos: arch for the lazy it syncs with antergos before upgrade to ensure "stability", can't confirm I'm arch user
>mint: ubuntu for non-fags you'll need to almost re-install within a year, can't confirm
>fedora: needs aditional repos and a bit of a pain if you are not patience or tl;drfag
>lubuntu: like mint
>>
>>51406686
Cent OS. All the other shit is meme
>>
>>51406686
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51406686
>>
>>51408561
Check out the XFCE bugtracker and you might see where I'm coming from. There's quite a bit of retarded bugs that should be fixed ages ago. The terrible compositor is also worth an honourable mention.

Though I have to admit, you're right in that it's a recognizable and fairly well-constructed UI.
>>
>>51406686
Ubuntu LTS.
>>
>>51408730
I'll give you the compositor. Its only purpose is to disable it and replace it with superior compton.

Though I haven't gotten into the bug tracker, I've been using it for some years now and I haven't really managed to run into issues (other than botched looking themes). You might be right, I guess I haven't hit it hard enough.
>>
>>51406686

Seriously Arch. The wiki is a great source of info and you'll learn a lot when doing the install and configuration. Once you are comfortable using Arch, switch to another distro that does all that shit for you, but it's nice to have a basic understanding of what does what in a linux install so when something inevitably goes wrong, you know where to begin trouble shooting. If you go for a distro that does everything for you first, when something does go wrong you only have google to rely on and no experience of you own.
>>
File: 1220416664.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1220416664.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
>>51408461
>one of the most stable de
>buggy mess
You clearly have it out for xfce because you were dumb enough to install xubuntu. install it on a good distro and see the result.
>>
>>51408838
>>51408561
>i-it's not buggy, xfce causing kernel panics is a feature!
>>
File: brisby_beauty.jpg (17 KB, 333x480) Image search: [Google]
brisby_beauty.jpg
17 KB, 333x480
>slackware
Too involved for a beginner and takes awhile to set up and compile packages.
>Gentoo
not yet.
>Arch
ok if you can follow directions for a normal install. Pacman is nice.
>Ubuntu
Pretty good for a beginner but is bogged by unity and Amazon spyware.
>Ubuntu mint
I'd start here in all honesty
>Debian
Good for someone who wants a more open source friendly OS.
NOTE: it has old but stable packages and emphasizes only free software for alot.
>trisquel
100%FREE Ubuntu
>Parabola
100%FREE arch
>>
>>51408823
Honestly this. Installing Parabola now and aside from configuring GRUB being confusing it's really nice as an OS
>>
>>51408881
Not going to be all "works on my machine" but seriously though it's the first time I hear xfce and kernel panic in the same sentence.
>>
>>51408881
Never happened in all my years using it, sorry chief
>>
>>51408785
If it works well for you then that's all that matters. I clearly exaggerated by calling it a "buggy mess", though that's the impression I'm afraid most novice's would get.

>>51408838
I don't have it in for XFCE, it's a great DE and all but relatively buggy for something recommended so very often.

It's plagued by the same poor development habits that Linux user tend to deny so often. Check the bugtracker and you'll see where I'm coming from.
>>
Let's go

>ubuntu
It's literally a botnet, avoid it.

>*buntus
It's good, and each one comes in a flavor, with different DEs. Aboid Xubuntu because of XFCE, an outdated DE that literally no one uses it anymore.

>Linux Mint
Also Debian-based, great for people who want an OS that is easy to install and operation. You won't have to change a single setting on it. Tech-illiterate fathers usually love it.

>Gentoo
Definitely not a meme, as it is the best Linux system out there. It's install may take long but has extensive documentation for you to do it.

>openSUSE
RPM based, easy to install, but may be a little heavier than other systems (comes with KDE by default). My favorite after Gentoo.

>Arch
It is a bleeding-edge experience, because you'll need plenty of installing techniques that are updated daily on their wiki. It is ruled by The Arch Wayâ„¢, which is a philosophy that says an OS shouldn't work flawlessly for more than one day (24 hours, as defined by the GNU project). Comes with licensed Pacman by default, and is the only system that comes with licensed games (proprietary license, though) with the distro.

>Mandriva
No.

>Debian
It's great, god-tier. Has probably the best ascii art for screenfetch, and fits with most waifus clothes for great prints on desktop threads. It's usually the first step out of Linux Mint, since their repos are almost the same.

>Fedora
It's great for middle to advanced power users, and has great repos; but avoid it for now, since you are starting.
>>
>>51406686

FreeBSD
>>
>>51409024
fuck off with the Arch crap. It's a good distro
>>
>>51409116
Where's the Arch crap? I'm here recommending regular Ubuntu to beginners.
>>
Do all the Fedora spins have Wayland support? I want to try the XFCE version
>>
File: 1447536233201.gif (546 KB, 266x198) Image search: [Google]
1447536233201.gif
546 KB, 266x198
>>51406894
>systemd
>>
>>51409057
>XFCE, an outdated DE that literally no one uses it anymore.
How so?
>>
>>51409763
From that text, the only thing you had to pick on was the XFCE part?
>butthurt XFCE users for you, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>51409777
>seriously being this buttblasted about xfce
I hope your day improves champ!
>>
>>51409057
>no Slackware
>>
>>51410020
My experience with Slackware is limited, and I wasn't able to review it. Feel free to add it, with no shilling.
>>
>>51406686
I started off with Ubuntu, I current use kali but I wouldn't recommend that. Ubuntu is the easiest to start with in my opinion.
>>
>>51410224
>kali
It's a pentest distro. It's not a "hacker distro", nor is it a general purpose distro.
>>
>>51410252>>51410252
I use it on my laptop just for fun, it's fun to mess around with. Why couldn't you use it for general purpose? It's just like every other Linux os to me
>>
>>51410252
Are there other distros that aren't general purpose but used as if it was?
>>
Using anything else then Debian and Ubuntu is just being edgy.
>>
>>51406686
Peppermint
>>
>>51410636
>then
>>
>>51406894

For a lot of linux people, it is.

Don't listen to /g/ though. We'll fill your mind with poison.
>>
OP here,

So I read through most of the posts.
Though I checked out most I am on the fence between Bunsen, Linux Mint and Gentoo.

And can I add that i'd like mostly people who actually use/have used one or more of these three before, to debate on it?
>>
>>51410798
OP here,
Yea well I tried Reddit and people gave me dumb answers like, "Get windows." So I gave up and came here. This is my 3rd stop for the day as well.
>>
>>51406686
Start either with Ubuntu or Mint. You'll start liking it, then hating it, then loving it. When you feel yourself attached to your distro, change. Try another one. Hate it with force, and then, as time goes, you'll love it more than your first one. Now, change again. Repeat it with four, five, no matter how many distros you want. Then, use the one you love it the most.
>>
>>51411757
Sounds like plan. I'll start with mint I suppose.
>>
File: 1420248269653.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1420248269653.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
>>51406823

Install OpenSuse and when you're prompted for a desktop environment choose either KDE (classic Windows feeling) or Xfce (Macish feeling).

>>51406810
More or less it comprises to this stuff

>Installer
Some are installed easily burning an .iso file to a dvd/usb, boot up from cd/dvd/usb and install in a next next fashion. Others need to be installed by hand such as Archlinux or Gentoo

>Init system
This is a very significant part, it is the program or framework that the Linux Kernel will use in order to setup at boot, the system for you to use.

>Package Management
The package management is the heart of every distro. It will define how software will be installed in your system in order to make it usable. Some are very simple and powerful such as pacman others simply let you do the package management by hand.

>Default UI
This is the front-end you're going to "see". Some are graphical and come by default such as Unity (Ubuntu), GNOME (Fedora), KDE (OpenSuse), Xfce (Manjaro). But you cna change it to your liking.
>>
>>51408881
>inb4 b8
what are you talking about?
xfce runs on top of X11, it doesn't compile as a kernel module or messes with something like that
>>
>>51411692
>got dumb answers from other sites
>thinks it will improve here

stay classy /g/.
>>
>>51411672
Gentoo is not for beginners.
Go with Linux Mint. But, to be quite honest with you, openSUSE vs. Linux Mint, I'd go openSUSE with my eyes shut.
>>
File: gentoo-logo.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-logo.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
always install gentoo first.
>>
>>51406686
opensuse or linuxmint if you just want something out of the box

archlinux if you want to learn how into linux sysadmin (protip search for Architect linux, it is an archlinux "automatic" installer)
>>
>>51406686
Linux Mint or elementaryOS

Sauce: I'm a new Linux user and have found both to be fantastic. Mint has more flexibility, eOS is just beautiful. Mint is great for Windows power users. Elementary is something I'd give to a person who just browses the internet on their computer and maybe listens to music on something other than Spotify. Which, incidentally, is about what I do on my home laptop, which is why I like eOS so much.
>>
>>51412505

OP here,
At the very least most people here gave me some constructive ideas.

So yes I did see an improvement over elsewhere. Have some faith in your fucking board or gtfo.
>>
>>51412600
Lubuntu for beginners.
>>
>>51412600
Nice dubs.
There, you got many flavors. Mint, Lubuntu (not Xubuntu or Ubuntu, srsly), openSUSE, and those are great suggestions indeed.

DAS IT MANE.
>>
>>51406898
he thinks hes a networking guy because he knows how to set a static IP and port forward.
>>
>>51413181
You know what he means, right?
>>
>>51406686
Anything /g/ dosn't recommend you.
>>
>>51406686
gentoo
>>
>>51406686
OpenSUSE looks like a dick.
>>
>>51406686
> Linux OS
>FreeBSD,PC-BSD
>linux
>solaris, not exist opensolaris
>linux
*BSD and Solaris isn't linux.
>>
>>51410380
Arch is purely an autism distro that individuals with autism think is general purpose, if that counts?
>>
Mint, Xubuntu, openSuse, Pinguy OS, Chalet OS, Uberstudent, elementary...
>>
>>51407133
slackware
>>
Zorin is the best, works like windows.
You won`t regret it, trust me.
>>
File: 1447931389892.png (132 KB, 452x291) Image search: [Google]
1447931389892.png
132 KB, 452x291
>>
for a beginner, mint, or any of the buntu's
(Xubuntu, lubuntu)
Then swap to manjaro, or arch, or gentoo
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.