[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just installed Botnet 10 on my GFs computer as per her wishes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2
File: windows10.jpg (675 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
windows10.jpg
675 KB, 3840x2160
Just installed Botnet 10 on my GFs computer as per her wishes. I don't know much about Windows. Which free antivirus should I put on it? Avira, ESET NOD32, something else? Thanks.
>>
avast
>>
>>51406335
Wasn't Avast selling your personal info to third parties?
>>
Windows defender just works.
>>
mbam + common sense

if she gets malware, wipe the drive and install ubuntu
>>
>>51406325
>ESET
I read something about it getting wiped with the latest big upgrade.

>>51406618
That's probably the worst idea.
>>
>>51406325
avg
and also run o&o shutup10
>>
Mbam should keep her from doing stupid shit
>>
>>51406475
It was AVG, Avast was recovering data from sold phones as an example to people, or more less just to see how many nudes they can get
>>
>>51406325
None.

Antivirus software is a meme.
>>
>>51407523
fucking normies
>>
>>51406325
>Which free antivirus should I put on it?
You already have defender you don't need more if you're not totally retarded.
>>
>>51406669
>I read something about it getting wiped with the latest big upgrade.
Jup. If you don't have the latest version then th2 will wipe eset.
>>
>^f
>no results found for avg
Plebs
>>
>>51406325
>"my GFs"
top fucking jej
>>
>>51406325
Panda
>>
>>51406325

Nigg nog just install chrome and add ublock and disconnect. Then windows defender or avast on silent gaming mode.
>>
>>51407806
>namefag
no doubt is a retard
>>
>>51406325
Common Sense 2016
Malewarebytes
>>
>>51406325
even in 4k this image is blurry as fuck. unbelievable microsoft
>>
>>51408462
it's a photo

real life isn't perfect anon
>>
>>51408448
this
>>
>>51407897
>jej
Had to look at my keyboard

lol
>>
Common Sense 2015 + uBlock Origin + uMatrix. Install MalwareBytes as cleanup software.

Oh, wait
>GF
Eh, not much really worth doing while on Windows, normal people tend to somehow get viruses on Windows no matter what they do. You might as well give her uBlock Origin and MalwareBytes. You could try Avast if you want, but it really won't do anything of value.
>>
>>51408498
Don't listen to these retards. No matter how much common sense you have there is no foolproof way to get around human error, being targeted, and running into viruses that are in unorthodox places such as a legit software upgrade that was hijacked without anyone's knowledge until it was too late.

These fucking idiots probably have some sort of low footprint malicious code running and they don't know it because they don't have an AV.
>>
>>51408481
are you retarded?
>>
avira or avg
>>
>the year of flash exploits
>not using an av
top fucking kek
>>
>>51406837
>implying an OS cannot override whatever a program running within it does
>implying 10 can't shut up shutup10
>>
>>51406325
don't you mean "i just installed botnet 10 on my gf's son's computer"?
>>
>>51406631
>wipe the drive and install elementary
>she's a girl, she likes apple things
FTFY
>>
>>51410142
>elementary
Never heard of this, I'll try anything once
>>
>>51406325
>as per her wishes
Anything for you m'lady, I am but a doormat.
>>
>>51406325
None, Windows 10 has good protection itself
>>
>>51410594
>respecting that other people have different preferences from you makes you a doormat

Sure, whatever you say Anon.
>>
>>51406335

avast is a massive resource hog
>>
File: 1436394097035.jpg (196 KB, 1107x1023) Image search: [Google]
1436394097035.jpg
196 KB, 1107x1023
>>51410652
He meant it in a sexist way, don't be such a consumercentric pleb.
It doesn't matter which type of fedora that Anon prefers, it is still a symbol of his manhood and his woman's wishes shouldn't be obeyed.
>>
>>51408571
>implying I don't run ClamAV for when I boot into Linux
>>
>>51406325
Windows Defender. It's the same thing as MSSE was on 7. It's free, built in, requires no re-registration each year, doesn't pester you, and doesn't make things as much slower than most 3rd party ones. It's only a couple percent worse detection rate than your other choices, so I'd take it as the overall better choice.

Get MBAM free version too. Do a periodic scan with that and use it if you end up infected. I'd recommend this with any AV.
>>
>>51410594
Not OP, but it's her fucking machine. It takes like 3 clicks and then it's an excuse for doing nothing very productive for an hour or two while you keep half an eye on it as it upgrades itself. Get free brownie points with her and an excuse to play games - why not?
>>
>>51406325
RAVIOLI RAVIOLI GENTOO INSTALLIOLI
>>
>>51411753
It's like saying "it's her fucking lungs" when he refuses to buy her cigarettes.
>>
>>51411886
Be realistic.

Cigarettes: Expected outcome: Reduced lifespan, stinky breath, discolored teeth, etc. Worst case outcome: Sitting in the hospital next to her as she undergoes expensive cancer treatment and then dies in not too many years.

Windows 10: Expected outcome: Computer maybe a bit slower and uglier, displays 'suggested apps', and other minor annoyances. Possibly followed up by a few hours spent reinstalling Windows 7 when she gets sick of it. Worse case outcome: It somehow breaks the computer and she has to spend a few hundred bucks on a new one.
>>
>>51406325
>Avira
just read the eula (it comes with)
>>
>>51406618
Defender + Malwarebytes

Defender only does fine on my tablet, it started doing good around windows 8.

Malwarebytes is something that works alongside it fine. A lot of other AV take away control from the system/disable other antivirus. I find the two work nice together... common sense always helps
>>
Do you guys actually use AV software? I've been running with Windows defender only for at least 5 years, and I've never had an issue.

>inb4 my computer is infected and I don't even know it
>>
>>51406325
>pirate malwarebytes
I like it very much bc it doesn't flag my shit but only real virii.
It also does not disable your premium license if it detects you pirated it
>>
>>51412058
I was joking, mang ;)
I've taught my gf how to install Windows even though I would never install it on my machine.
She's gotten used to Debian at my place, so when Windows finally starts microwaving its users or something, she'll switch like a boss.
>>
>>51408611
That picture is in relatively good quality and it for sure is a photo taken irl.

Why would he be retarded?
>>
>>51406325
Check this site: http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Compares antiviruses on detection rate and stuff. Here's some of the recent tests: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php Not sure if there's any distinction between paid and free versions of the AVs, though.

Avira seems to be the one that performs the best, but Avira also doesn't have real-time protection in the free version IIRC (which sort of defeats the purpose, at least for me). I've been using Avast, personally, and it's worked out fine so far. Avast also has a silent mode (gaming mode is what they call it) which shuts up all of its notifications and stuff (though not sure if it also turns off "infection blocked" notifications as well, if it does, might be something worth weighing the pros and cons of). Avast also seems to not hit performance too hard. Not sure about AVG, I've always heard that it's been declining in quality, but the tests seem to show that it's not so bad. Would be something worth looking into I suppose.

MalwareBytes free is, of course, always a good complement as an on-demand scanner, but shouldn't be your sole replacement for antivirus suites. MalwareBytes is mainly meant for newly discovered malware, at least that's what the makers of it have said in the past.
>>
Norton is fine?
>>
>>51412623
Do you want an antivirus that:
- interrupts you all the time as you work?
- flags legitimate things as viruses, deletes them for you and then sends you hunting for the exception feature so you can download it again without it deleting it?
- makes sure your computer never gets a virus by making it so slow that you'll never manage to install one?
- ensures it will never be fully and successfully uninstalled?
- leaves your computer entirely unprotected and without Windows' builtin protection if your subscription lapses or if you do manage to uninstall it?

If you answered yes to these questions, Norton may be right for you.
>>
>>51412720
OK sweet, I'll install it now.
>>
>>51406325
avast. Not too resource demanding, and it has a gaming mode that disable popups.
>>
The wiki is linked in the sticky:

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Antivirus

When looking for software, I suggesting checking the wiki first.

Also, I use Comodo Antivirus. It works perfectly and is not intrusive.

With these kinds of programs, make sure to always do the "advanced" or "custom" install rather than the "easy" or "express" install; sometimes programs will try to change your default search engine or other intrusive things, and doing the custom install allows you to disable that.
>>
>>51412058
>It somehow breaks the computer
How in gods name should that happen?
>>
>>51412926
>How in gods name should that happen?
I don't know. Maybe they'll eventually push such a disastrously bad driver update through forced auto updates that it'll brick some piece of hardware while trying to update firmware in it. Or it tries to update the UEFI and screws something up. Or increased CPU/GPU use while doing basic tasks causes the laptop to overheat and cause permanent damage.

I'm not saying it's likely, I just put it down as a worst possible worst case.
>>
>>51406325
>as per her wishes
Being this much of a cĂșck.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.