[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Work at a computer tech shop fixing computers. Anyone have issues
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: it_photo_6424.jpg (22 KB, 860x484) Image search: [Google]
it_photo_6424.jpg
22 KB, 860x484
Work at a computer tech shop fixing computers.
Anyone have issues with all-in-one computers? I'm honestly at a loss for words. This guy has this computer that will not boot the next day unless I remove and reseat the CMOS battery.

Things I've tried
>originally suspected bad psu as voltage readings told me. its not. computer boots just fine with the reseat of cmos battery
>updated BIOS with the latest version. Just tested it today and it is still having the issue
>removed HDD and replaced, new os, drivers, everything. still having the issue

I feel like I'm out of solutions. I don't see anything wrong visibly on the motherboard or a connector causing a short. Anyone have some insight? It's a dell xps one a2420
>>
Have you tried a new CMOS battery
>>
>>51405289
also checked the voltage of the 3V CMOS and it is outputting 3.14V so it works fine.
>>
>>51405305
yes I checked the voltage of the 3v CMOS and it is outputting 3.14V.

Additionally which is super frustrating is the computer boots and shuts down fine unless its off for a long period of time. like 8 hours long.
>>
>>51405306
>>51405326
>>
>>51405326
Who shuts off their computer for 8 hours straight?
>>
>>51405402
People who sleep
>>
>>51405599
Don't they have uh stuff to compile or batch processes to runs for the night? Or downloads?
>>
>>51405326

The answer to the question is not 'yes' here. Try a new CMOS battery, not the one current in.
>>
>>51405651
hmmm.... even with the CMOS battery outputting the proper voltage? I'm not so sure that's the best solution to try being that I have to wait quite some time before I can test to see if that was the issue.
>>
Definitely try a new CMOS battery, I know you tested the current one but I've seen weirder shit happen, you might as well try popping a new one in there, it really couldn't hurt.

If that doesn't work then there might be something wrong with the motherboard which fucking sucks if it's an all in one machine.

Oh, and since you work in a computer tech shop, you haven't lived until you've had to replace the rear housing on an iMac. That made me want to fucking kill myself. Glad I don't work there anymore lol.
>>
>>51405690
>hmmm.... even with the CMOS battery outputting the proper voltage? I'm not so sure that's the best solution to try being that I have to wait quite some time before I can test to see if that was the issue.

Are you literally retarded?

You know it's got the right voltage, but there's obviously an issue with the battery. Replace the battery is the easiest troubleshooting step. Fuck, it's like you've never had a car battery that was obviously kill but still showing 14 v on a meter.
>>
I fixed an imac g4 by replacing the cmos battery. It was doing similar stuff too.
>>
>>51405690

How the fuck is 'fixing computers' your profession? Even if the CMOS battery is outputting the correct voltage, you've made it clear that the issue is related. Without replacing it, you cannot rule it out as a momentary correct voltage won't rule out battery defects. You've wasted more time on here waiting on an answer than it would've taken to grab a NEW CMOS battery and correctly rule it out as an issue.
>>
File: 1447454747779.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1447454747779.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>>51405289
Don't spend your final paycheck in one place. You'll soon be making those dollar menu delights professionalally.
>>
>>51405289
Nerve gas
>>
>>51406040
>>51406013
Jesus Christ, alright. I'll try it.
>>
File: 240442-duke1-t.jpg (17 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
240442-duke1-t.jpg
17 KB, 220x165
>>51406152
>Unless I take out the battery

You filthy nigger lover just replace the battery already!
>>
report back OP
>>
I work at a computer shop too. Can't let's this shit get to you. Tell them the (insert BS here) chip is dead and a new motherboard is the only solution. Then sell them a new computer when a new mb cost too much. Get good
>>
>>51405629
>stuff to compile or batch processes to runs for the night?

That's what servers are for.
>>
>>51406152
This was me:
>>51406013

Sorry man, giving you tons of shit, because you can't figure out how to test a battery under load.

Got a small flashlight lamp? (1.5-3v non led?).
Alternatively, grab a resistor and your meter, and do this, report back to us.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Battery-Test-to-a-Multimeter/?ALLSTEPS
>>
bump for op
>>
have you tried a new cmos battery
>>
>>51405289
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.