[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If we had to remake Internet from scratch, how would we future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
File: vitruvio2.jpg (279 KB, 1037x522) Image search: [Google]
vitruvio2.jpg
279 KB, 1037x522
If we had to remake Internet from scratch, how would we future proof it in regards to security, encryption, scalability, etc? Goal is to produce Internet that scales smoothly, works okay with huge bandwidth and has built in protection against spying, even from the government. Yes, I know it won't be implemented in the US.

>IPv6 only
>optimising software for terabit transfer rates
>mandatory unbreakable encryption for all connections
There has to be some privacyfags vision of a secure Internet combined with general suggestions that are decades old but too late to implement.
>>
>>51404911

make it a decentralized system.

The majority of internet traffic is funneled through the backbone. A decentralized system would have no backbone at all.
>>
>>51404936
Good luck decentralizing the underwater cables without exploding costs
>inb4: satellites
yeah no
>>
>>51404936
I was under the impression that the Internet is already pretty decentralised. Are you referring to high bandwidth fiber connections that are owned by private companies? I also don't see what positive effects would it have, it's definitely better for them to be in private hands than the government.
>>
>>51404955
Even if satellites were cheap, the latency is huge, right?
>>
>>51404936
Actually the backbones speed up the internet quite a lot. And I think they are doing it for free. Basically they are acting as a middle man between ISPs, who can close peer-to-peer access agreements.
>>
>IPv6 only
>privacy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :^)
>>
>>51404936

It's already there. Looks pretty good. I'm not sure if it's gonna work out for the better though.

zeronet.io
>>
>>51405003
yes
>>
>>51405065
nice meme!
>>
>>51405065
Good goy, couple of billion of it addresses is all you need :^)
>>
>>51405124
>The planned COMMStellation, scheduled for launch in 2018, will orbit the earth at 1,000 km with a latency of approximately 7 ms. This polar orbiting constellation of 78 microsatellites will provide global backhaul with throughput in excess of 1.2 Gbit/s.
>>
>>51404911
Gnunet desu senpai
>>
Make ip address encrypted so nobody can directly read the ip of the users.
>>
>>51405238
How would you send a packet to a device though?
>>
>>51405238
Underage b&
>>
>>51405238
/g/ everyone!
>>
>>51405238
That's not a bad idea. Even if the government was given a sites IP, they'd still have to decrypt yours to spy on you.
>>
>>51405951
That's not how it works you mongoloid
>>
>>51404955
mesh networks with a few underwater cables to link continents
>>
>>51407429
>who will build the roads
>>
>>51405173
The 6.6ms are the theory.
The issue is not the traffic latency, it's the traffic scheduling. And because everybody have to use the same frequency, everybody have to wait they turn to ask a bandwidth allocation witch quickly turn your 6ms into a 30ms (+ISP latency)
>>
9P
>>
>>51407960
Seems fine for most uses except muh gaymen
>>
So basically install massive privacy laws forbidding an agency like NSA from ever being created? How would law enforcement work then for Internet crimes if it's literally impossible to find the perpetrator?
>>
Would a world wide tor network work or it's too inefficient? Assuming everybody has a decent >100mbps connection.
>>
>>51405003
For local communication, yes. For global communication, no.
>>
>>51408633
Law enforcement/FBI/etc should use different methods to catch criminals that don't affect everyone as a whole. They should not have the privilege of invading whoever's privacy they wish.
>>
>>51407772
what
>>
>>51407772
but

who was phone
>>
>>51409634
>>51409926
The one question that kills libertians, who will build the fucking roads? If we have to build totally decentralised infrastructure, who will build it if it's in everybody's fucking interest to build multiple large backbones. Who will pay extra money to get a overall slight security improvement if it's a huge cost difference?
>>
>>51408753
>Law enforcement/FBI/etc should use different methods to catch criminals that don't affect everyone as a whole.
Like what, crystals balls?
>>
>>51404936
I don't think you understand what decentralized means. There is no central point. You might argue that backbones are a central point but that's only because companies haven't built more backbone nodes than what exist. Step up your infrastucture investment, where are your billions to lay down more infrastructre?
>>
>>51410875

I don't know, that's not an easy question, and it's not gonna be figured out without some extensive thought and research.

Honestly, it might even be better if law enforcement didn't stick their noses in people's online business.

Why should we be expected to put up with absurd invasions of privacy? It's not everyone's fault others decide to break the law and involve the internet in the process... that's their business... don't fucking spy on us just because criminals also use the internet.
>>
how about you get your head out of the clouds and work on a real project like Tor, I2P, GNUnet, or some other decentralized project. Your work will be much more likely to help actual people atleast.
>>
>>51407227
Why not set it up in such away that every node in the network serves like a proxy server, so when you ping google each computer along the way creates a new address to send the request on with and remembers to forward anything it gets back addressed to the new address to the original address. Wrap everything up in a layer of encryption at each node for good measure.

That way someone would have to own every node along the path of transmission in order to trace a request.

I've just realized I may have just accidentally reinvented onion routing.
>>
>>51404911
>unbreakable encryption
Kek
>>
>>51404911
aka how we encourage mass terrorism
>>
>>51404936
Who owns the backbones? Are they state owned?

The notion that these underwater cables are private property seems astonishing. In a good way.
>>
>>51410853
. .R
T O L L
. .A
. .D
. .S
>>
Honestly, the structure of the internet itself is fine (assuming we can get people of IPv4). The problem is the tools and expectations people use on it.
>>
>>51412634
I'd rather have terrorism then have no freedom or lack of freedom desu senpai
>>
>>51404969
No he means a system like I2P where each computer donates a bit of its bandwidth to service everyone else.

In this model, the ISPs don't control literally all the traffic in the world, so there's noone the feds can subpoena/bribe to enact dragnet surveillance
>>
Instead of putting cables under water, why not put water under cables?
>>
>>51413614
I2P is an overlay network, you still need someone to build all the big cables.
>>
>>51413614
>everyone donates a bit of bandwidth
That is like saying 'why have the government or other big entities build and own roads if everyone can just donate a some of their road to everyone else!'
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.