[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Protontherapy/Radiotherapy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: protontpypic.jpg (123 KB, 690x505) Image search: [Google]
protontpypic.jpg
123 KB, 690x505
What does /g/ know about protontherapy and radiotherapy?
>>
File: badday.gif (16 KB, 640x442) Image search: [Google]
badday.gif
16 KB, 640x442
>>51404233
That my mom was under radiotherapy but she died anyway
>>
>>51404528
oh man, I'm sorry :(
>>
>>51404528
jeez man, i'm so sorry to hear that. My mom's currently waiting on biopsy results for a suspicious growth in her stomach. not sure how to feel. :(
>>
>>51404528
I can pretend I am your mother anon :3
Want some breastfeed?
>>
>>51404233
What type of machinery is that?
>>
>>51404233
they shoot really high energy radio waves at you to get rid of cancer, bu tsometimes the threatment also causes cancer.

yes, you heard that right, cancer treatment causes cancer...
>>
>>51404528
rip anon :c
at least the NSA isn't spying on her now
>>
>>51405595
Actually they send beams from more directions so that they can "concentrate fire" in one single spot that they have mesured the shape of (cancer portion). So that it should not cause cancer since the overall radiation level is quite low but in one specific spot ( think of it as a magnifing glass, only the focal spot can burn ants.)
>>
>>51405595
>high energy radio waves
>radio waves
>radio
*Proton* therapy
>>
>>51406041
>>51406041
you can use high energy photon's to treat a patiƫnt, you can also use electrons.
proton therapy is relatively new and i dont now shit about it.
Radio diagnostic laborant here
>>
>>51406421
OP here, do you know of any robotic devices used for radiotherapy?
>>
>>51406421
Radio waves are never used, you would be correct if you'd said x-ray or gamma waves.
Just because you're qualified to operate a machine doesn't make you qualified to explain how it works
>>
File: o-BILL-OREILLY-facebook[1].jpg (107 KB, 1536x1264) Image search: [Google]
o-BILL-OREILLY-facebook[1].jpg
107 KB, 1536x1264
>>51404233

>science goes in
>health comes out
>never a miscommunication

[spoiler]can't explain that[/spoiler]
>>
>>51406842
lol
>>
>>51405269

Something with Ridley Scott as director
>>
>>51404233
This article about the biggest accidents in radiotherapy explains how the machines function, as well as why the machine made and used in the 1970s malfunctioned:
http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib/Therac_25/Therac_1.html
Proton therapy is similar to electron therapy in that it's used to burn cancerous tissue at the surface of the skin.
Other radiotherapy uses x-rays to burn cancerous tissue deeper inside the body without making an incision (i.e. cyberknife). In this case, the surface tissue is not affected.
It's all done with very high precision.
>>
File: 800px-PET-schema.png (306 KB, 800x586) Image search: [Google]
800px-PET-schema.png
306 KB, 800x586
>>51404233
Got myself blasted by x-rays to resorb a tumor caused by a non-hodgkinian lymphoma.
And an auto-greff to clean my blood.

That was 5 years ago, my blood is clear now.

Also F-18 "PET scan", pic related, the principle is quit magic:
desintigration of e- (electron, matter) /e+ (positron, antimatter) cause the emission of 2 photons in 2 exactly opposite directions.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.