[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
An abrupt End to Debian Live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 1425852347482.jpg (398 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1425852347482.jpg
398 KB, 1920x1080
Debian can be great.

But depending on who you are, where you come from, and who your friends are, Debian can also be hateful and full of deceit.

Before even more of [reality](https://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2006/08/) is spin-doctored into some [distorted view](https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2015/11/msg00008.html) of it, and before my past work is being discredited, I will take the high road and continue my work on Debian Live images on the outside.

If there is one thing I did learn over the past years of agressions towards me, then that it is this: I am forced to blindly and unchallenged accept everything others decide about me or my work, resistence to the cabal is futile, anything goes, [no](https://bugs.debian.org/497471) [matter](https://bugs.debian.org/759189) [what](https://bugs.debian.org/754910).

Therefore, after having founded Debian Live back in 2006 and having by now almost 10 years continuously worked on it, without further ado:

[Debian Live is dead, hijacked by the debian-cd and the debian-installer Teams](https://bugs.debian.org/804315)

The live.debian.net server will be shut down end of month, the Git repositories are read-only as of now and mirrored to [GitHub](https://github.com/debian-live) for archival.

So long, and thanks for [all the fish](http://live.debian.net/project/downstream/).

Daniel

---

With all the anti-systemd, anti-sjw, /pol/-rhetoric on this board 24/7 by you gamergating misogynist fuckwits and that one retard who thinks anyone cares about an eggplant emoji I am honestly SHOCKED that there is no mention of this DELICIOUS DRAMA which is indicative of the state of open source as a whole right now and almost certainly means that:

IT'S OVER. DEBIAN IS FINISHED, BANKRUPT, AND ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
I always install debian from a net-install cd.
Who the fuck uses debian live?
>>
>>51401200
This, I've only used net-install and NAND images
>>
dat dere free software
>>
File: 1447140488242.jpg (63 KB, 486x459) Image search: [Google]
1447140488242.jpg
63 KB, 486x459
>pretending to host an official debian project
>claiming exclusivity rights on an entire namespace despite having no say in the matter
>official debian project manages to replace it with superior live cd system
>YOU KNOW WHAT FUCK YOU GUYS I AM TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME
wow what a fucking autist
>>
File: 1442551464732.jpg (64 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
1442551464732.jpg
64 KB, 599x449
>>51401271
>>YOU KNOW WHAT FUCK YOU GUYS I AM TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME
lost it
>>
It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that the confluence of industry and open source is having disastrous effects just as Stallman predicted.
>>
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754910#102

this kid has been getting bullied for some time now all in the name of ein volk ein reich ein systemd and you're all too tl;dr to give a shit about anything that matters

you tinfoil fucks have barely scratched the surface of what you're actually right about for once

forget about this incident, look at the bigger picture: open source has been co-opted by corporate interests trying to turn gnu/linux into an osx clone and your sjw/feminist boogeyman is actually just a symptom of following the money

Wake up, people. Holy shit.
>>
>>51401738
we've known this since day one though
the coining of the term `open source' was the corporate interests rejecting the morality inherent in the use of any too (in this case software), morality the free software people were trying to illuminate and uphold
>>
>>51401185
Having a bad day at work, Daniel?
Maybe You should contact the debian anti harassment team

I'm still reading thru this, clearly no drama material but I guess it's worth some sensible chuckles.

>>>51401738
>the coining of the term `open source' was the corporate interests rejecting the morality inherent in the use of any tool

This
>>
>>51401185
This is why I stopped at Debian 7. It is clear that the leadership is being hijacked and is starting to walk away from their Social Contract. It is only a matter of time before they violate that contract.

Debian's choice to bow to pressure - specifically, to vote "we allow other init systems but in no way support them - pretty much sealed the deal. Prior to that, there were alternative inits.

Debian is already dead, just not in the way most of the idiots on /g/ can understand. They are too caught up in their "fast boots" and cliques to bother to understand the bigger picture.

>>51401501
For all of Stallman's faults - and they are numerous as there are stars in the sky - he has proven himself right. The Right to Read is unfolding in my lifetime and I am watching everyone lap it up like the lapdogs they are. Anyone that points out the bullshit happening is "too old" or dismissed otherwise. No-one has the courage to ask questions, let alone intellectual integrity to pursue the questions.

>>51401790
Like any belief system, people have bought into the Open Source concept and it has successfully played out as the corporate branding that it was meant to be. Keep in mind, when you think of a brand, you think of symbols; the reality is that a brand is the connection of the symbol with the business; it is the swoosh you think of when you look at expensive sneakers, not the fact that it is built on the backs of a shit corporation.
>>
>>51402040
tl;dr

go to bed daniel
>>
>>51402072
Not Daniel, but certainly someone that only had 3 hours sleep.

Oh, and since when is it right that Debian should co-opt someone else's work? Let's review:

1. Debian allows a side project to go on for YEARS without enforcing a trademark, brand, copyright, or other claim.
2. Part of the Debian project decides to unilaterally create installation issues downstream for this long-running project by causing a namespace collision.
3. The side project approaches Debian with a tl;dr version of "WTF dude, why are you doing this?"
4. Debian representative's response: all your base are belong to us.
5. Side Project: we've slaved over this labor of love for years and now you're going to ass-rape us?
6. Debian: yup, pretty much like that.
7. Debian: oh, and don't bother saying that you had a say in your own work.

Does the hypocrisy completely whoosh over your head?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=804315

Debian is now tainted.
>>
>>51402146
Oh, same poster chain-posting here, one more thing.

Watch this thread slide.
>>
>>51402146
>man maintains a side project independently of the debian project without actually being affiliated with the debian project and yet pretends it's an official debian project
This is entitlement at it's finest.
Fuck off.
>>
>>51402157
I don't care about "official". I care about the fact that the man's work was effectively stolen.

As I said, Debian FAILED to press for trademark, brand, copyright, or other claim. The project has been long established and there are now downstreams that are dependent on it. In essence, Debian decided to get off of its lard ass and finally get around to pressing claim - but only after the work has been done.

Who is the bigger thief here?
>>
>>51402157
What is the entitlement? Are you trying to say that Debian should claim the person's work because it has the word "Debian" in it? Should we also say that Ubuntu should be claimed by Debian because there are still packages in the Ubuntu repo that have "Debian" in it?
>>
>>51402195

>I don't care about "official". I care about the fact that the man's work was effectively stolen.

Maybe he shouldn't have wasted his time working for a project he wasn't affiliated with like some sort of unpaid intern kek.

>>51402210
Don't name your project debian if you don't want people to think it's a debian project.
Even deb-multimedia avoids this simple mistake.
>>
File: 1367905015817.gif (3 MB, 380x250) Image search: [Google]
1367905015817.gif
3 MB, 380x250
If Debian is dead, the fuck can I go ;_;
I'm already having problems with subtitle playback because of old asslib or whatever in Stable, only going to get worse from here I presume.
>>
>>51402281
deb-multimedia
>>
>>51402195
>I care about the fact that the man's work was effectively stolen.
It's OSS. Everyone can take the sources and do whatever the license allows them to. If his ego was shattered because someone else made something similar to his work then it's his own problem.
Or are you saying that he should have the monopoly on live CD images?
>>
>>51401738
The feminists are just bullies they don't care about corporate interests if they couldn't shit up linux they'd shit up something else to make themselves feel good.

People in power might leverage off them to bully their more competent opponents but they themselves are just schoolground bullies for the internet age.
>>
File: banana sticker.gif (11 KB, 439x374) Image search: [Google]
banana sticker.gif
11 KB, 439x374
>>51402146
the funny thing is I do step 1 to 7 even on my own projects where other people do stuff around it.
Kek I believe that this is my right because in the end it is my project.
>>
>>51402299
>>51402461
just because you legally have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's very bro of you to
stuff like this happens all the time, I think part of why this is a deal though is because it's not at all characteristic of what we've come to expect from debian

>>51402320
please do not call these people feminists
tumbler third wave ``feminists'' are not at all and instead should just be called what they are, attention whores
>>
>>51402568
>just because you legally have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's very bro of you to
You know what's also not very bro to do?
Taking part of voting on the next init system, then disregarding the result (because you didn't like it), ignore the people complaining how you disregard the distro's direction and then complain that others make their own project to replace yours.
>>
>>51401185
Who gives a shit tbqh?
>>
>>51402619
Apparently you give enough of a shit to actually reply and bump this thread.
>>
>>51402641
how do you know he didn't sage?
>>
>>51403237
Because the thread got bumped when he posted.
>>
The debian community is full of people who are sperglords. Go on the debian irc server and chat with a bird named abrotman, he is a peice of work.

These people make 4channers seem reasonable. So, yeah, lots of drama and strife in the debian world.
>>
Tldr someone tell me what the fuck is up in a short sentence please.
>>
>>51404872
Jews
>>
>>51402040
>Prior to that, there were alternative inits.
Like what? In squeeze we had sysvinit and ...?
Now we have systemd, sysvinit and upstart, you can install any of them.
>>
>>51402210
What about checking out Debian's trademark policy before you start using their name? Apparently nobody cares about Firefox's trademark policy which is similarly strict (and that's why Iceweasel exists btw).
>>
>>51401200
>Who the fuck uses debian live?

zero footprint homie
>>
Someone infringed on someone's trademark and is facing consequences? What a shocker!
>>
you should check your rss feed, this is old news
>>
File: 1445776599766.jpg (121 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1445776599766.jpg
121 KB, 560x560
>>51401271
>>U KNOW WHAT FUCK YOU GUYS I AM TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.