[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Repair Kits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: 91aYzpTbfBL._SL1500_.jpg (320 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91aYzpTbfBL._SL1500_.jpg
320 KB, 1500x1500
What does /g/ use for a repair kit?

I've been looking at pic related for something I can keep in my messenger bag at all times, but I'd prefer something that had a basic little soldering iron as well. Any recommendations?
>>
A Philips screwdriver is all you need 99.9% unless you're doing something unusual or working on small devices.
Most of that shit would never get used.
>>
>>51401198
I would agree that most of the screwdriver bits would never get used, but I think I would end up using a lot of this frequently. I mean it's pry tools, tweezers, razor blade, ruler, and the screwdriver set.

The only things other than specific driver bits that I don't think I would ever need are the suction cup and wrist strap. Suction cup is useful if you're in phone repair to pull off screens, but I don't really do that, and I've never used a wrist strap on something I own, so...
>>
I have a Belkin PC repair kit that I found on sale on Amazon one day. It has a soldering iron like you want, but it doesn't have all of those screwdriver heads.
>>
I've got the iFixit kit and it's fairly decent quality for the price. you can get a decent amount of torque into the drivers for any tough screws, all the little tools come in hand if your repairing phones and stuff. If you get a soldering iron, make sure you pay extra for a high quality butane one
>>
File: 1393796383102.jpg (12 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
1393796383102.jpg
12 KB, 203x200
>>51401177
>in my messenger bag
>>
>>51401737
actually i think backpacks are on at the moment now. Though i'm not sure if on trend stuff now is hipster or out of trend stuff is hipster. Confusing stuff. Messenger bags look more professional though
>>
Build one yourself with non-shit tier tools and only what you'll actually use.

Protasol if you want a good gas iron.
>>
>>51401704
Hmm. I was actually looking at battery operated, preferably like an 18650 battery. Any brands that make good portable ones you'd recommend?
>>
>>51401752
Yeah. I carry my laptop with me at all times and I feel like it would be particularly weird to see a grown ass man walk into a bar with a backpack on.
>>
Swiss Army Knife
>>
1. pocket phillips screwdriver on multitool
2. Cannot be fixed by #1, throw it out while screaming back into the street so they don't call anymore. this includes flathead screws
>>
>>51401878
my bag fits my laptop like a glove and it looks classy and has almost no branding on it as well. I just randomly found it at a bag store and got it. Turns out the brand makes heaps of awesome stuff and it's all great prices too

http://www.ausluggage.com.au/Louies_Berry_Viper.html
>>
File: 174-4-6023_front.jpg (139 KB, 1500x1249) Image search: [Google]
174-4-6023_front.jpg
139 KB, 1500x1249
>>51401945
Yeah, looks nice. Right now I use an M51 Engineer's bag, but I think I'm going to be picking up a Timbuk2 Command. Probably one size up from pic related.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027MSC2M
>>
>>51402049
not really my style but looks better than most. Is that hi vis stuff on it?
>>
>>51401867
If you're an aussie the Wurths one is nice.

http://www.discounttrader.com.au/wurth-butaine-gas-soldering-torch-0984990300/
>>
File: 08pogue-blog-articleInline.jpg (27 KB, 190x288) Image search: [Google]
08pogue-blog-articleInline.jpg
27 KB, 190x288
>>51402079
Yeah, the two grey strips are. To be honest it's not really my style either, but it fits all of my needs and like you said, it looks better than most. Specifically I want to get something TSA compliant. With that bag there's a zipper that lets you fold the laptop section off on it's own so you don't have to take it out of your bag.

This is sadly the best picture I could find.
>>
>>51402121
Nope, US, and I would certainly not be spending that much on it, haha. The only time I'd use the thing would be like super quick and dirty fixes in the field.
>>
>>51401177
You can tell retards by the presence of wrist-straps
>>
>>51402263
Depends on what you're working on. If I'm building an average desktop, yeah, fuck it. If I'm working on a mission critical server that costs more than my car, I'm not risking it with the macho "meh, I just touched the case, I probably don't have any charge".
>>
>>51401177
I have the ifixit kit and it is amazing
my only problem is that the tab on "driver kit" broke, so I have to press in on plastic behind where the tab was to open it.
I can get it replaced, but ive been too lazy and I don't want to go a week or two without it
>>
>>51401177
make you own. kits dont come with extra long screw drivers
>>
>>51401289
>not properly grounded and end up frying your flagship phones pcb cause why the fuck would static electricity ever fuck with me right
Ishygddt
>>
>>51402397
see:
>>51402309
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (42 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
42 KB, 479x720
>he uses an anti static wristband
>>
File: 61vnEKL14gL._SL1000_.jpg (105 KB, 430x1000) Image search: [Google]
61vnEKL14gL._SL1000_.jpg
105 KB, 430x1000
Best $12 I ever spent

Sometimes there's need for other things like a long screwdriver or pliers or whatever but this covers at least 90% of anything I'd need to do
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.