[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does mozilla continue to remove features such as browser.newtab.url,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: Mozilla_Firefox_Logo.png (361 KB, 1233x1176) Image search: [Google]
Mozilla_Firefox_Logo.png
361 KB, 1233x1176
Why does mozilla continue to remove features such as browser.newtab.url, theme support and a lot of the other things the community still want to keep? Why does it have to be a chrome clone?
>>
If you don't like it, just fork it.
>>
>>51400722
They think this will make chrome users switch, but all they are doing is alienating loyal power users. They are even removing support for XUL and powerful XPCOM addons in favor of chrome compatible extensions.
>>
>>51400722
use SeaMonkey.
>>
My Firefox is loading https pages really slowly recently, and I've never had this problem before. It will load some images but the page will become blank before fully loading.

Should I try a different browser or are other people getting this, so it'll be patched.
>>
They are turning themselves into an inferior version of Chrome in an attempt to make Chrome users switch, which of course will never happen because it's an inferior version, and in the process they are additionally alienating people who never wanted Chrome in the first place, but the original Firefox philosophy.
In the end, the only thing they achieve is loss.
>>
>>51400789
I forked your mother last night.
>>
>>51400796
The worst part is is Firefox wasn't losing users in the first place. Sure, they were losing market share, but in reality, their numbers stayed the same whole Chrome simply picked up the new comers.
>>
>>51400722
i'm still waiting for a logo for the official /g/ browser, the /g/rowser
>>
If you stick with 40.0.3 you'll always have browser.newtab.url
>>
>>51400722
They removed it because adware/malware was hijacking the value to set their own shit as new tab page. Now you need a (signed) extension to do it which is safer for plebs.
>>
>>51402677
This. It might not occur to you /g/entoomen but normalfags gets screwed by these quite often.
>>
>>51402677

> thankyou.gif

Also, they plan to remove Tab candy / Panorama but no doubt an extension will take over.
>>
either tabmixplus or classic theme restorer bring back the newtab option. not sure which one, but the removal of this feature is a non-issue thanks to that. i still use about:robots as my newtab page, no ads anywhre. stop being retarded
>>
>whining on 4chan instead of telling the devs directly what you want
yes, this will surely get mozillas attention

https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback/firefox?
>>
>>51401274
power users still have the option to install or write addons that bring back or enhance features of firefox. if you're a power user, why are you afraid of installing the odd addon?
>>
Because hardly any people use them, this allows third parties to offer the features through extensions.

If only the browser would actually speed up with the features they're taking out, for some reason it just gets slower.
>>
>the community

believe me 99.9% of the userbase of firefox has never heard of browser.newtab.url

get a grip man

if anyone cared enough there would be a fork. the thing is no one gives a fuck therefore you're stuck with firefox. deal wittit
>>
>>51400796
XUL is an absolute clusterfuck desu
>>
>>51402703
good, no1 need this unfinished shit
>>
>>51402722
Because that's a fuckton more work than it's worth, is an annoyance nobody wants, because addons need to be written and maintained forever by *someone*, etc

What you said is the equivalent of
>why doesn't everybody in the world just make their own linux distro that only has what they want

And everyone working at mozilla apparently has that mindset: remove whatever the hell we want, even core features, and tell them if they want it back they can "just write an addon for it senpai".
>>
>>51403382
Same shit with forks btw

People who always shill "write an addon"/"make a fork" again and again for every little thing forget the disadvantages that come with doing that. Fucking retards.
>>
>>51402716
>implying mozilla listens to powerusers, ever
>implying mozilla listens to reason
bitch the only thing mozilla listens to these days is chrome's opinion on things
>>
>>51402797
Because for every removed feature we have to install a shittily written, badly performing addon in its place, desu baka senpai
>>
>>51402703
>they plan to remove Tab candy / Panorama
I use this frequently and it's a shame it never matured, but if they can't/won't improve it then removing it is the right thing to do.
This will give extension developers incentive to create a superior option. Previously, I assume they were discouraged since the current implementation "werks".

I also heard they are moving Pocket to an extension which can more easily be disabled. This at least gives SOME hope that Firefox is not doomed just yet.
>>
soon they'll get rid of the url address bar, forward and back buttons and history management
>>
>>51403445
>This will give extension developers incentive to create a superior option
You are assuming someone will sacrifice his spare time to make it in the first place, and that his programming skills make the result worthwhile (ie good code that works and performs well), and that he will maintain it in a timely manner forever.

That's the whole fucking problem with relying on addons for core features and why it's idiotic of mozilla to keep telling us to get an addon for everything.
>>
>>51403402
>implying mozilla listens to powerusers, ever
They actually more or less promised stuff like Tree Style Tabs would be possible with the new extension system and all that. I think we should wait and see how things unfold before we decide if Firefox fucks power users over or not.

Taking advanced features out and allowing them to be added through extensions seems both newbie friendly and power user friendly to me.
>>
>>51403457
Fuck bookmarks and settings too. Users should just type the address they want to go to every time and use defaults for everything. Also fuck hyperlinks for the same reason.
>>
>>51400722
They actually went back on removing theme support. Crazy right?
>>
>>51403476
>I think we should wait and see how things unfold before we decide if Firefox fucks power users over or not
They've been fucking powerusers over for years now, anon. Have you been living under a rock?

In Chrome, I get all the same features I have currently (built-in and from add-ons) with only half the addons and twice the performance. Seriously fuck mozilla man
>>
>>51403465
>superior option
>You are assuming someone will sacrifice his spare time to make it
And you're assuming they won't?
Firefox extensions are not dead. There are perfect examples of brand new extensions like uMatrix and uBlock Origin for Firefox that are excellent. And perhaps the new WebExtensions will attract a new group of devs.
>>
File: 2015-11-16_091243_scrot.jpg (21 KB, 324x480) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-16_091243_scrot.jpg
21 KB, 324x480
>Why does it have to be a chrome clone?

call me when i can make chrome look like this.
>>
Makes me wonder how many of their employees (who use Firefox) customize their browser.

WebExtensions seems like e10s all over again.
>>
>>51401386
haha told
>>
>>51403492
>In Chrome, I get all the same features I have currently (built-in and from add-ons) with only half the addons and twice the performance. Seriously fuck mozilla man
Tell me more about your Tree Style Tabs or even tabs on bottom for that matter in Chrome. :^)
>>
>>51400796
I had to look those up. Either get with the times and be relevant or stay living in the past.
>>
>>51401386

I got a ring in there last night...
>>
>>51402722
power users still have the option to install or write addons that bring back or enhance features of firefox.

>mozilla kills xul xbl xpcom
Now power users still have the option to write their own web browser.
>>
File: computer dot jiff.gif (41 KB, 660x906) Image search: [Google]
computer dot jiff.gif
41 KB, 660x906
Can someone explain the change around unsigned addons in version 43? Are they actually stopping them from installing entirely (even if I want them), or just ramping up the warning?
>>
>>51406484
they'll stop you from installing them unless you run nightly or beta
>>
File: :^).jpg (4 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
:^).jpg
4 KB, 250x250
>>51406545
That's bullshit.

Why wasn't just warning the user enough?

Why can't there at least be a setting to turn that 'feature' off?
>>
>>51400722
They are preparing for the shift to servo.
>>
They said they'll remove all that because people have been downloading shit that change their homepage and fucks up with their new tab feature as well. The team also mentioned that it might come back if they fix the issue, so there's no ETA.
>>
>>51400722
because a literal cocksucking cum guzzling SJW replaced the creator of mozzila, and now wants to fuck his creation in its filthy shitfilled asshole.

because that's what fags do, they get shit on their dick. and ruin peoples creations.
it's sickening how it could be allowed.

but mozzila went to shit after 4.0 was released anyway so who gives a fuck..
>>
because chrome, and its developers, have been 3 years ahead of mozilla since 2009. stop living in the past / being a tinfoil.

/thread
>>
>>51407737

Chrome is developed by google employees, Mozilla is developed by open source contributors all around the world which means it has 100x as many developers
>>
Mozilla needs to release a HARDCORE HACKER edition of the browser with every feature under the sun, son
>>
>Chrome is Chrome
>Firefox and Opera are wannabe Chrome
>Vivaldi literally uses node.js to draw windows
>Safari doesn't support WebM
>Edge is useless

Why do browsers suck, /g/?
>>
>>51404939
>not a firefox addon dev
>had to look up what firefox-specific internal jargon is
>thinks this matters at all and creates grounds for removal
>>
>>51400722
SJWs have hijacked Mozilla and they want you to use Google Botnet
>>
>>51403382
All features in Firefox need to be written and maintained forever by "someone". Wether it exists as an addon or as a built-in feature this does not change.
>>
>>51408695
>[current year]
>still waiting for a logo for the official /g/ browser
>>
Throwing out cruft is a good thing. Most of this stuff should be an addon anyways.

>>51400796
But this is not okay and I don't get Mozilla anymore.
>>
File: 1407040382527.gif (52 KB, 1148x2324) Image search: [Google]
1407040382527.gif
52 KB, 1148x2324
What the hell does Firefox even do that warrants a large company? I can't imagine this shit being profitable.

Tbh Firefox has been hiot shit lately. I have severe trouble with HTML 5. I was trying to watch the 4CC on hit box and it just freezes every 10 seconds or so. I open it in water fox same thing. Works fine with chrome.

Why does FF have such shitty HTML 5 support it has been like this for ages?
>>
Fuck you firefags. Opera turned into chropera and all you fuckers did was laugh. Now your browser is turning to shit an I see the same crying. How does it feel, faggots? Fuck you.
>>
>>51410289
I'm not crying about Firefox. I see it as a free gift given the fact that I haven't hired Mozilla to write free software. I don't feel entitled to controlling Mozilla's direction.
>>
>>51410204
You don't understand how complex modern web standards are. These standards are so feature filled that they're good enough to be in the foundations of an OS.
>>
The only proposed change I disagree with is removing ftp support. If it weren't for Australis and that thing with Brendan Eich I would bet a lot of /g/ would be supporting Mozilla.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.