[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I may be having problems with a PSU. I believe there was some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: cx750.jpg (7 KB, 275x179) Image search: [Google]
cx750.jpg
7 KB, 275x179
I may be having problems with a PSU. I believe there was some kind of power outage while I was away because other appliances had reset. However, I found the PC had shut off again later, and it would not boot until I flipped the switch on the power supply to off and then back on again. What kind of problem am I looking at here? Should I be ordering a replacement PSU?
>>
Sounds like you just had to reset the breaker mate.
>>
Well, it didn't trip the circuit breaker if that's what you mean. When I moved the rocker switch on the PSU to off and then back on, the computer was finally able to start. I've never had to do that before. It probably did have something to do with the earlier power outage, but is there any way I can test the PSU to be sure?
>>
>>51399384
to test your psu you gotta unlplug it, short the startup pins and run a voltmeter across all the connections, checking each one to see if its within the voltage tolerances.

dude when your psu starts shutting itself off or you start losing video is when you gotta be worried.

I was running my 144hz monitor using a 760 with one of the PEG connectors run by molex.

I didn't have enough amps on the 12volt rail, so shit was sputtering like crazy.
>>
>>51399430
in other words unplug it from your mobo and use a paperclip across two pins to start it up, then check some of the pins to see if the voltages are within bounds.

older your psu gets, the more out of whack the voltages get.
>>
>>51399430
I have lost video a few times recently. The display would go crazy and sometimes I'd get a BSOD, but it only occured when I'd try to play flash videos and stopped happening after I disabled hardware acceleration. It seemed to be related to a particular display driver file, so I didn't assume hardware but now I'm wondering.
>>
I should add that this is a fairly new power supply. It's maybe six months old, and it is the model in the picture. Wouldn't expect to have problems with one this new, but I've heard some criticism of recent Corsair models. If there is a problem with the PSU, can you guys recommend one that might be more stable?
>>
>>51399586
check tomshardware PSU tier list
>>
>>51398719
Black Friday's coming up. Might as well
>>
>>51398719
Sounds like the PSU is dying time for another one anon.
>>
>>51398719

>not having a UPS

>buying a PSU cause of the colored sticker
>wonder why its shit

next time buy a fucking seasonic S12II
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.