[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who GNU GUIX here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: guix.png (8 KB, 266x200) Image search: [Google]
guix.png
8 KB, 266x200
Who GNU GUIX here?
>>
File: 1.png (2 KB, 266x200) Image search: [Google]
1.png
2 KB, 266x200
>>51397467
your png is now optimized
>>
>>51397484
>being this autistic
>>
Why not just use NixOS?
>>
Why not just kill yourself? The greatest freedom is death.
>>
>>51397667
It's good if you want free software distribution and package manager with lisp.
>>
>>51397694
Who would want that though?
>>
>>51397467
Not yet, but I really want to try it out.
>>
Still in alpha stage, but looks promising. Not too sure how the package manager stacks up to others like APT, YUM, pacman or openrc though
>>
what is it? a kernel? a distro?
>>
>>51397768
Package manager and/or distro. It's a GNU version of Nix/NixOS.
>>
>>51397768
The Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) and the GNU Guix package manager are free software projects developed by volunteers around the world under the umbrella of the GNU Project. This is the official web site for both projects.

GuixSD is a GNU/Linux distribution committed to respecting and enhancing the freedom of its users. As such, it adheres to the GNU Free System Distribution Guidelines.

GNU Guix provides state-of-the-art package management features such as transactional upgrades and roll-backs, reproducible build environments, unprivileged package management, and per-user profiles. It uses low-level mechanisms from the Nix package manager, but packages are defined as native Guile modules, using extensions to the Scheme language—which makes it nicely hackable.

GuixSD takes that a step further by supporting stateless, reproducible operating system configurations. This time the whole system is hackable in Scheme, from the initial RAM disk to the initialization system, and to the system services.
>>
>>51397768
It's a GNU Distro made to showcase a new package manager.
>>
Me. I am using it ontop of my current distro to download some newer version of GNU packages. There is some neat features that I need to try though like creating virtual machines and containers.
>>
Linux doesn't need a new package manager, linux needs a replacement for systemd that doesn't get coupled with kitchen sink.
>>
>>51398207
>Linux doesn't need a new package manager
Yes it does.
>>
>>51397690
thistbhsmhfam
>>
>>51397467
Maybe in a decade, right now it's buggy and primitive as compared to Portage.

Hell, I'd prefer to use sbt (actually Java / Scala specific build & deployment tool - flexible but clearly not made for sysadmin) to manage my OS at this point.
>>
>>51397467
It just doesn't have enough packages for me as of yet.
>>
>>51398277
writing your own packages are pretty simple.
>>
>>51398357
Having to package everything on my own defeats the purpose.
>>
>>51397741
>openrc
Gentoo's package manager is Portage. OpenRC is the init system.
>>
>>51398396
yeah, my bad there.
>>
>>51398207
>linux needs a replacement for systemd that doesn't get coupled with kitchen sink.
OpenRC.
>>
>>51398207
> linux needs a replacement for systemd that doesn't get coupled with kitchen sink.
Compile systemd without the extras you don't need, or package it without the extras you don't need.

Problem solved.
>>
>>51397667
Nix has systemd, GuixSD has dmd (written in guile scheme).
Nix has the nix package/service language, GuixSD just uses guile.
Nix has unfree packages and binary blobs, GuixSD doesn't.
GuixSD shares a lot of code with Nix in the guix-daemon that manages the package store.

>>51397791
And a package manager made to showcase a programming language, which was created to showcase GNU's extensibility and we're full circle.

>>51397768
>what is it? a kernel? a distro?
Guix is the package manager.
GuixSD is a distro (SD = System Distribution).

see https://gnu.org/software/guix/
>>
File: gnu.png (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gnu.png
50 KB, 300x300
>>51398207
Linux doesn't need a replacement for systemd, Linux needs a brand image that isn't furfags and neckbeards.
>>
I refuse to use it so long as the authors insist it be pronounced geeks instead of gooix.
>>
>>51398468
>Compile systemd without the extras you don't need, or package it without the extras you don't need.
>what is a dependency
>>
File: brisby_beauty.jpg (17 KB, 333x480) Image search: [Google]
brisby_beauty.jpg
17 KB, 333x480
>>51398730
>>51398730
Why not a cute mouse mom?
>>
>>51398734
I pronounce it like "quick" but with a g and s at the end.
>>
>>51398742
>what is ./configure
>>
>>51398781
>what is systemd
>>
File: mechapuffy.png (32 KB, 300x255) Image search: [Google]
mechapuffy.png
32 KB, 300x255
>GNU
Dropped

Too busy being on superior OpenBSD.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.