[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I obtained an iPhone for free. It had a very strong adhesive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: Iphone-Water-Damage.jpg (46 KB, 640x434) Image search: [Google]
Iphone-Water-Damage.jpg
46 KB, 640x434
I obtained an iPhone for free. It had a very strong adhesive "case" attached to it. I removed all the gunk using ethanol, but apparently a bit of it somehow ended up under the screen.

I'm not worried about damage, as it's 96% alcohol, but how do I get it out? Will rice remove the remains of the liquid? I put it under a warming bulb in a container with rice, close enough so it doesn't surpass 45 degrees, although the boiling temp for ethanol is about 78 degrees.

So any suggestions on how to get it fixed? Should I just wait? There have been some changes in the past 24 hours, apparently the liquid is going upwards albeit slowly.
>>
Jamal give it back
>>
throw it away.
or sell it for a few bucks
>>
>>51397232
I'm not a nigger, it's from a relative who upgraded to a 6s plus. I don't even use iphones, though of giving it to someone else.
>>
>>51397253
Why would I throw it away? It's fully functional. At worst I might disassemble it, just wondering if anyone else has a suggestions on how to dry it out.
>>
File: IMG_20151113_052014.jpg (352 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151113_052014.jpg
352 KB, 720x1280
>>
>>51397224
>>51397255
>obtained

You're spelling stole incorrectly Tyrell
>>
>>51397224
Just give the phone back Tyrone, you won't be able to pass the icloud blocking.
>>
>>51397289
>>51397302
Why would I steal an iphone if I use a nexus 6?

>>51397315
The phone is already factory reset under my name, I'm just asking about the way to dry it.
>>
Give it back Tyrone.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>51397351
Nice meme, friend.
>>
File: 15132145489756.jpg (2 MB, 4082x3039) Image search: [Google]
15132145489756.jpg
2 MB, 4082x3039
So any ideas other than le meme replies?

It's under the eye of sauron at the moment
>>
>>51397404
>MAXRESDEFAULT
>>
Come on /g/ help me become a normie ;)
>>
Rice trick may work, but once you open your apple phone you void the warantee. If you are willing to do this, simply remove the s panel and back panel then place in rice. I would honestly use a blow dryer, but you will risk damage to the cpu if you directly apply prolonged heat.
>>
>>51397732
Wouldn't he have already voided the warranty with liquid inside it?

I thought they had detections for that shit.

Seeing it's just alcohol you should put be able to put it in the hot water cupboard over night and it will evaporate out.
>>
>>51397758
No. The blow dryer will work better at raising the temp on the alcohol just enough. The warantee isn't voided by liquids, its voided by internal tampering according to my "apple care." pamphlet.
>>
>>51397732
I'm more afraid I'll melt the digitalizer glue way before reaching the CPU. I don't mind disassembling it, warranty isn't effective here anyway and the repair shops are scams, will probably cost me more than another iphone anyway.

>>51397758
They have a detection for water, not ethanol. I checked, it's not triggered.

What do you mean by a hot water cupboard?
>>
>>51397809
That glue is cheap to replace, and any alternative works fine. But as I said, blowdryer. It won't over heat shit. Although, I've dropped my iPwn into water many times and the rice trick worked, but with alcohol the safe bet is heatgun on low or blow dryer, then rice.
>>
File: spitzer-comptroller.jpg (67 KB, 635x609) Image search: [Google]
spitzer-comptroller.jpg
67 KB, 635x609
>>51397224
wait, it should go away if it was high purity alcohol.

I was trying to dab some rubbing alcohol onto a cloth to remove thermal paste or something once and fucked up, dumped like 1/3 of the bottle onto my phone.

I let it dry and it evaporated real quick but it left a pretty nice "stain" under the screen. I thought the phone was fucked but it actually evaporated after a few hours and was fine.

It was 91% isopropyl though.
>>
>>51397960
I'm sure it must be because the climate is very humid then (It's 85% humidity atm and it's been only less than 24 hours since the incident).
>>
File: IMG_20151117_232353.jpg (3 MB, 3040x4096) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151117_232353.jpg
3 MB, 3040x4096
Exposure is fucked, this is a brightly lit room. However, the blob seems to be moving upwards as I've mentioned. Before, it was a huge stain from the bottom to the middle of the screen.

Here's to hoping in 3 days it'll go away.
>>
>>51398491
Just leave it in rice for a week m8, should be good as new. Also Iphones are shit, chuck it in the bin afterwards bro...
>>
>>51397802
warranty is voided by liquid damage, it's considered "accidental damage"

if they can't tell liquid was spilled on it, it's fine. Liquid contact indicators will not be tripped red by rubbing alcohol
>>
What is your reasoning for the rice? I don't see how it would make the ethanol evaporate from under your screen...I don't even think rice works for water damage

www gazelle com/ thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/
>>
>>51398797
It absorbs mosture/liquids, that's why it's used as far as I know.
>>
I'm sure this thread will reach page 15 in a few hours but I'll post an update tomorrow or the following day.

Thanks for the tips fellas.
>>
>>51397809
>They have a detection for water, not ethanol. I checked, it's not triggered.
Ethanol is strongly hygroscopic. The second it's exposed to air, it sucks water out of the air like crazy. It becomes a 70% alcohol 30% water azeotrope pretty quickly.
The liquid currently stuck inside is probably water the alcohol condensed, then the alcohol itself evaporated and left the water behind.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.