[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monitoring and backing up OSX servers? (software, tips)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: server_room.jpg (3 MB, 2299x1532) Image search: [Google]
server_room.jpg
3 MB, 2299x1532
I'm going to be doing some work for a customer in monitoring his OSX server and backing it up.

What tool is recommended for monitoring his servers? How should I manage those backups?

Thanks!
>>
>do my job for me

good thing you were hired
>>
>>51394276
holy shit. just quit and advice your ex-employer to hire someone that can actually do your work
>>
>>51394276
Bacula
Nagios
Splunk

Give me a few minutes. And I might think of some more things.

Look these up.
>>
>>51394276
>OSX
>server
Just keep posting memes
>>
>>51394276
I don't think they bother to use OS X servers even at Apple HQ

>>51394296
Also this
>>
Try /r/sysadmin and search for OS X.
>>
>>51394276
>What tool is recommended for monitoring his servers?
OS X is essentially UNIX with a few Apple libraries here and there, so anything that would work under Linux should also work here. The only thing missing, in this sense, is a package manager which can be installed (Macports or Homebrew).

>How should I manage those backups?
Again, since it's UNIX, you should be able to script it. That being said, since OS X is more mainstream, there are several professional apps out there that can streamline the process a lot more.
>>
>>51396671
>leddit
>>
File: stats.png (21 KB, 831x502) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
21 KB, 831x502
stats LOL
>>
>>51394276
>OSX
>SERVERS
>HURR
Bwahahahahahahhahahah
>>
Everyone, thank you very much for your responses. To the people who are saying negative things, I totally understand why you're saying that. I do feel a bit over my head, but I would like to grow in my experience as a tech.
>>
>>51398717
Fuck you. You're a fraud. It's "techs" like you that give the people who actually know what they're doing a bad name.

A customer is paying you to look after their systems. You took the job, but you have no idea what you're doing. Your ONLY ethical option is to cancel the contract.

Let me ask you something: what happens when you fuck up? Not if.
>>
>>51394276
Quit. If you want to get job experience get an internship rather than blagging work that an actual skilled and deserving professional would have won instead of someone that feels its acceptable to 'grow' on someone else's dime. You fucking faggot.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.