[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should I go about encrypting my hard drives? If some gov
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image001.jpg (24 KB, 289x264) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
24 KB, 289x264
How should I go about encrypting my hard drives?
If some gov agency would want to get to my files, they will anyway. I just want to keep my data secure in case of theft.
Is Bitlocker using XTS-AES 128bit encryption safe enough?
>>
Use hardware encryption
Most samsung ssd have this built-in or get a hardware TPM
>>
>>51392497
A nigger won't care about your data in case you steal it.

Just admit it, you have some very illegal files on your Hard Drive and you aren't willing to do the time even though you did the crime.
>>
>>51392526
as if the samsung h/w encryption isnt just as backdoor'd as bitlocker

if you are on windows and just want to protect your machine from some casual who steals your computer from a cafe then bitlocker is fine. desu most thiefs wont really give a shit about your data and will just wipe the drive but as there is no real performance hit for using bitlocker on modern machines i would just use it anyway just in case some nigga who steals it feels like maybe having a look at my files for whatever reason.
>>
>>51392582
Anon, bitlocker works with samsung tpm encryption, in fact, bitlockers warns you that the encryption is better with a proper TPM
>>
>>51392497
Still using True crypt here. OP, if you really have something you don't want found keep it on a microsd
>>
>>51392935
Keep your data on a microSD and stick it inside your dick
>>
>>51392935
I always figured that would be the way to do it. keep your unsavory shit on a microsd. when the man comes a knocking, swallow that motherfucker.
>>
>>51392994
this kek
>>
>>51392994
Instructions unclear, plugged printer into dick.
>>
>>51392796
afaik samsung hw encryption does aes256 when a bios password is set using the bios password to unluck the tpm which holds the hw encryption key. which yeah is basically the same as bitlocker. however the implementation is different.
>>
>>51392497
You can bump it up to 256bit in gpedit.msc if you want to
>>
>>51392497
What's the best full disk encryption with the lowest performance hit?
>>
>>51396901
If you have a sandy bridge cpu then anything aes based will be as fast as the device on the sata bus thanks to aes support in the chip. i still get 540MB/s (my drives max speed) with bitlocker enabled on a sandy bridge laptop i have.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.