[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>close button doesn't close just makes the program disappear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
>close button doesn't close just makes the program disappear
>still running in the background
wtf /g/
Did literal retards design this?
>>
>>51392079
Yes.
>>
>close window button closes the window
I don't see a problem baka desu senpai.
>>
>>51392079
it's a legacy thing from forever ago
pre-System 6, MacOS was single tasking, so it was obvious that closing the window didn't close the whole program, you'd be left with the menu and just a gray desktop
and this is part of the reason MacOS programs have the top-of-screen menubar, there was only one program running at a time
other OSes (read: windows) used MDI windows to simulate that, where if you closed your document window, you'd be left with the program still visible, gray desktop in a window and all

MacOS never really changed it because it was part of the Mac "look".
Some Mac programs DO close when the last window is closed, but that's a recent thing, and is slightly jarring to those who got used to the old way.

tl;dr: literally legacy cruft from when MacOS was single tasking
>>
>>51392079
This is clearly the superior method of operation, you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you want to quit the program just CMD+Q, or are you too retarded for hotkeys?

I bet that next you're going to complain about the green button making the program go fullscreen, well here's a pro tip - hold the option key.
>>
>ITT: OP doesn't know how to use even the most basic OS X system functions.
>>
What's the issue? No different to prefetch and the way modern mobile OSes run really.

>hurt it's not exactly the same as windows derp
>>
>>51392332

fuck off shitposter
>>
>>51392387
my post was infinitely more constructive than yours
>>
It was designed FOR retards. That's why it's easy for anyone to use it, even if they're not retarded. The Q command always quits, the W command always closes windows, and the Dock or menu bar can always be clicked to kill an application, even forcefully if you hold alt. However, I feel that the OS X implementation of tiling, and the cursor shake are both lower than retarded, probably downright brain dead features. Luckily, one can be replaced with FOSS and the other can be turned off altogether. I don't know how much longer the OS X team can keep this up without Jobs yelling at them constantly.
>>
>>51392079
>thinks that just because you close the UI you are done with the application
>doesn't use computers other than posting on chinese cartoon boards, leddit and muh cheetos

lol basement dwelling wintards
>>
>>51392464
cursor shake is useless as it's takes significant shaking and delay for it to become larger. i have it turned of. I love window management now though with mission control and a trackpad
>>
>>51392464
I really hope you don't use Windows and say OS X was designed for retards.

Windows was designed for retards, OS X is a Unix system where you can open up an actually usable terminal emulator with a bash shell.
>>
>he actually presses a button instead of using the shortcut
CMD+W yourself.
>>
>>51392464
Jobs was holding them back really. They are making much better devices now and they know what their strengths are. OSX is approaching obsolescence though, but when apple switch over to iOS, customers will actually desire it as a superior solution for advanced content creation and production..
>>
>>51392605
>ableton or premiere pro on iOS
>>
>>51392532
Did you read the entire post?! I said it was GOOD because it was designed for retards. It's foolproof and it's one of my main OSes.
>>
>>51392622
The transition may be a little like the Logic Pro X update. Initially there were reduced features, but for the most part all the important stuff is there now and it's now in a modern package with many advantages over the old version.

The switch won't be like "Fuck you, your using iOS now". It will be like "Ok we have developed iOS into being a modern representation of how an Operating System should function, and we promoted desktop class software development as much as we can before actually starting to ship it on desktop class hardware"
>>
>>51392487
You shouldn't need to open a terminal and use kill just to close a fucking application on a mac, c'mon man.
>>
>>51392079
OSX has more options for everything. Close window OR close the whole program. Why do they have to be the same? Or cmd+tab OR cmd+~ to switch programs or to switch windows in a program. It's more versatile.
>>
>>51392821
You shouldn't need to close & reopen a program everytime you're done with it for say 10-30 minutes.
>>
>>51392079
This fucking shitass pleb normie shithead meme again. Get the fuck out of /g/ and learn to how programs work before making stupid comments and embarassing yourself
>>
File: jobslaughing-680x365.jpg (23 KB, 680x365) Image search: [Google]
jobslaughing-680x365.jpg
23 KB, 680x365
>>51392079
>Uses Apple
>Doesn't know close means minimize to bg
>>
>>51392079
>need a magnifying glass to find the close button
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.