[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Tor actually keep you anonymous or is it really botnet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-Tor-logo-2011-flat.svg-2.png (131 KB, 2000x1209) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tor-logo-2011-flat.svg-2.png
131 KB, 2000x1209
Will Tor actually keep you anonymous or is it really botnet?
>>
>>51390412
hello NSA
>>
>>51390425
>implying
>>
>>51390412
It's really coming into its own.
>>
Not long ago I would have jumped in here and told you it works. No one has ever been tracked down through Tor ect ect.

But apparently the NSA really did crack it. Or rather, payed some people who did for their research.

So now I'd keep away.
>>
>>51390455
You see i saw an article saying they paid some people to do it but idk what to believe, they deny the allegations
>>
Would it let me get away with trolling on twitter?
>>
>>51390455

[citation needed]
>>
>>51390412
I guess it just depends on what your doing. There has only been 315 arrests from the markets since SilkRoad 1. Which is really good since some these vendors have thousands of deals.
>>
>>51390696
But obviously when buying something you have to give out some personal information in order to receive the product, were those arrests from fake sales made by FBI in order to catch people or were they tracked?
>>
To describe Tor as best I can. It's basically internet on top of the internet.

Tor mimics protocols for actual servers and actual websites and implements them in such a way that a computer acts as a relay station.

So what happens (well at least from my understanding) is that you send a piece of encrypted information to a node (which could be on the other side of the world for all you know), that node sends encrypted information on top of the original encryption to another node. And it does that multiple times until you reach the website you want.

In theory, it's the definition of security. In practice, there's a lot of ways you can mess up. Which is why it's recommended that you don't use it if you don't understand it. But in theory, the only piece of information that you can derive is how much information is being passed through a node. You don't know where it's going, or where it's from.
>>
>>51390455
>crack it

There is nothing to crack retard, it's open source software. Learn how it works or stop taling out your ass. K
>>
>>51390841
Then why was CMU claiming to have cracked it?
>>
>>51390412
probably not good enough to stop you from getting NSA'd (if you have an adversary that can look at the various endpoints of a connection and just get an idea of when signals come in/out, they can identify who's sending what where, and the NSA is big enough for that)

otherwise, go ahead
kind of useless for browsing the open web, since anonymity kind of dies if you need scripts turned on for anything
>>
>>51390412
i haven't seen any practical attacks that don't rely on 'side-channels', in most cases people will fuck up enough that defeating tor itself is often not required

for example, if you visit a cp board and post hints about who you are/where you live yourself, others can use this as evidence you were there, without even knowing what your ip was

or they could try to exploit flaws in the software you're using to access tor, such as firefox esr (used in the tor browser bundle), which is why careful use of the browser (not enabling things like javascript, running it in a vm/sandbox, etc) is also important

never trust the server you're connecting to, if a server being a honeypot puts you off visiting it, then you were doing it wrong from the get-go, as this implies you trusted the server otherwise
>>
>>51390841
God you're a fucking idiot thinking your a genius huh?

CMU figured out a viable way to trace people through tor. They where going to talk about at I believe DefCon, then just didn't show up. Rumor spread they sold the research to the FBI/NSA and arrests HAVE been made since then.

And no, >>51390482 , they actually haven't denied it. They have simply demanded to see the evidence. When straight up asked 'did you do it?' they have yet to say 'No.' They have said 'Prove it.' Which is confirmation enough to me.
>>
I use https everywhere, noscript and icecat. But I don't use tor. Maybe I should, but I don't do anything illegal or of questionable legality other than copying my dvds at home.
>>
>>51390412
I would say it's not safe anymore.
Basically every single person that has ran an illegal .onion site has been busted.

>dats cuz they're dumb
And you'd have to be fucking stupid to think you won't ever make a single mistake while running them. It only takes one.

As for using tor to lurk shit, it's probably still fine assuming you aren't a target.
>>
It's free software, why don't you go check?
>>
>>51390412
as long as you keep your mouth shut while freedom fighting, tor should provide a decent enough guard unless the three letter agencies really want you bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XaYdCdwiWU
>>
>>51390412
>Tor actually keep you anonymous
I just cant believe that the US government would pay for something if it provided any real anonymity from them. It just goes against everything they stand for. Tor probably provides anonymity from hackers , corporate spy's and lesser states like Iran and North Korea - but not from the big boys. If it did it would receive no funding from the USA and be made illegal.
>>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/17/milliondollar_hole_in_fbi_tor_story/

It's been broken
>>
>>51393195
Tl;dr but i hope tor has some sort of reply to that
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.