[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Value for money E-Ink Ebook Reader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: kindle_paperwhite_1_original.png (134 KB, 368x548) Image search: [Google]
kindle_paperwhite_1_original.png
134 KB, 368x548
Best value for money E-Ink Ebook Reader?
>>
ipad pro
>>
>>51387638
Fun man
>>
>>51387633

The cheapest you can find with .epub support.
>>
>>51387633
A Kindle
>>
should i buy a certified refurbished? are they usually good?
>>
>>51387633
Nook Simple Touch was $20 at RadioShack last year. Good luck beating this ;)
>>
>>51387917
Depends if it really is certified. Refurbished items are usually good, however the term "refurbished" is often abused on eBay...
>>
>>51388009
It is certified from Amazon. Does that make it better?
>>
probably the nook without glow, or the old version of the glowlight
>>
kindle with ads.

then put it in airplane mode and proceed to load pirated ebooks converted to mobi with calibre.
>>
>>51388226
Does Amazon delete pirated ebooks if you're not in airplane mode, or does that just stop the ads?
>>
>>51388605
It doesn't delete anything. You only get ads on certain countries and if you keep the thing airplane mode long enough you stop getting ads.
>>
>>51388959
What happens when your Kindle goes to sleep mode? Does it display the cover of the book you're reading? On my E-reader it shows the first picture of my manga when I press the sleep button. I'm not going to reveal what brand mine is. It's not a Nook or Kindle. I'm not a shill I just want to know what happens on your Kindle.
>>
>>51389631
I got one of the kindle paperwhites. It doesn't have sleep button, it goes to sleep when I don't turn page or do whatever for some time. When it's sleeping it shows some random wallpaper type image, something related to writing or books. Maybe a picture of ink bottle and pen or a pencil lying on a desk.
>>
>>51387633
Depends. I have a Nook Simple Touch, got it on the cheap and love it for pirated books. I'm Canadian and Barnes & Noble doesn't want to sell me ebooks, so I just used pirated epubs and Calibre.

However, if you actually want to buy shit like textbooks use a Kindle. Amazon blows every other ebook store the fuck out without competition.

I ended up doing getting a Kindle Paperwhite for textbooks.
>>
>>51387633
Kobo Glo HD

It's the best value for money since you can get one for less than 100€ (it's the latest and a «flagship» Kobo ereader, do not forget).
>>
>>51389767
>>51389767
Did you ever look at the bottom of your kindle? There sure is a sleep button next to the connector.
>>
>>51389631

Sony right?

Mine displays covers too.

Kindle displays random ugly shit.

Nook also displays covers or your own custom image.
>>
>>51390009

Anything you buy on the kindle bookstore can beloaded onto any e-reader.
>>
>>51390082
I'm >>51389631
I have a Kobo Auro H2O waterproof E-reader.

All Kobos can be opened up and change its internal SD card. I'm not really sure if you can. I think on youtube comments say how to do that, I'm not so sure. My Kobo H2O has a external micro sd slot so I mainly put a small bunch of mangas on it. I hate navigating through the library or my books or whatever it's called as it feels too laggy and slow. Is there any other way around navigating your library or my books on your Kobo faster? I have no idea how to navigate faster. I hate swiping to the last manga page and then it lags and goes back to the home menu and then I have to go back into my library yet again...

>>51390157
Kobo H2O. It has the same resolution as the Glo HD I think. It has a bigger screen, I was recommended by an anon in /g/ to buy it. I didn't want anyone to know because I'll be branded a shill.
>>
>>51390182

H2O is one of the better readers out there. Not really shilling.
>>
>>51390209
It is nice. Mine came with a problem as I unboxed it.

My backlit screen bled at the very edge of the screen. Like a small hair sized thickness about 2 cm at the bottom of my screen. I was going to RMA it but all I had to do was grab some acrylic black paint and some tape to fix it myself as the light bleed through. I fixed my Kobo H2O now and it is not noticeable at all. It looks 100% perfect. But just saying most people "will" think about RMA'ing it or complaining.
>>
>>51390242

I have had to warranty 3 kindles.

The last time they upgraded me for free.
>>
>>51390182
I own a old Kobo Aura.

And nop, not all, the Kobo Aura is the only exception since it's soldered the the mother board.

As for your problem, it's just because ereader are weak things. It's perfectly fine with random ebook but you may try an alternate library (or call it whatever you want) and an alternate reader (like Koreader and Kobo Start Menu).
>>
If you have the money, go with a Kindle.

Then you can find an online store which gives you DRM-free eBooks (I think Kobo does), and convert them to Kindle books with Calibre. Make you sure you put it in Airplane mode if you get the version with ads, as others have said.

If you don't have the money, or don't want a Kindle for whatever reason, I would buy the Nook Simple Touch. It even runs Android, so you can get full Android apps on it, albeit very slow, but it comes in useful once in a while.
>>
>>51387633

I got a unopened nook simple touch for $20, at a pawn shop.

It was one of many e-readers there too. I'm guessing they're unpopular gifts.
>>
>>51390082
> less than 100€
Source?
>>
>>51392298
https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-glo-hd
>>
Kobo
>>
Just get a tablet.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.