[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How Bad a Boss is Linus Torvalds?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 17
File: badboss.png (416 KB, 695x684) Image search: [Google]
badboss.png
416 KB, 695x684
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3004387/it-management/how-bad-a-boss-is-linus-torvalds.html

>Looking ahead, I hope that companies and organizations, such as the Linux Foundation, can find a way to empower community managers or other managers to encourage and enforce civil behavior.

>We won’t, unfortunately, find that kind of managerial finesse in our pure technical or business leaders. It’s not in their DNA.
>>
>>51373673
I think he's the best boss ever. Gets shit done and takes shit from no one.
>>
>>51373756
No, no, didn't you read the article? He fosters a workpace that's misogynistic and homophobic. It's not a safe space.
>>
>>51373673
>>51373756
>>51373778

as an engineer I can't see why these companies don't just tell them to fuck off. Where is the problem here?
>>
>>51373805
they have no balls basically.
>>
Why are these complainers always people who have nothing to contribute either way?
>>
>>51373673
>SJW's mirrin over him not giving two shits about their anti equal opportunity "equality"
>Spend years trying to get him and the Linux kernel development community to fast track women and non-whites/asians on the accusation that the kernel development community is "toxic" etc.
>Blow the wind out of this in the eyes on non-SJW's by ending the "retroactive abortion" rants, i.e only real problem
>SJW's still continue to moan about how there aren't enough non-whites/asians and how swearing, making jokes and calling technical things "bullsh*t" is proof of a community that is "toxic" to women and non-whites/asians
I really do hope that Linus doesn't back down to these idiots and keeps up the culture with proper equal opportunity equality rather than the SJW's anti equal opportunity distortion of equaluity
>>
>>51373817
>>51373843

i suppose if the guy can't defend himself and his company then he deserves to lose it
>>
you know things are bad when not even /g/ will get behind one of their top open source shills
>>
>>51373673
Linus doesn't give a fuck and continues to work on his kernel. That is what I like about him, a beacon of manliness and traditional no-nonsense work ethic that has diminished in the PC bullshit workplace policies enforced everywhere.
>>
>muh Sarah Sharp
Every single goddamn article. Funny thing is, she's just as berating and mean as Linus, except she does it because feels before realz
>>
>>51373778
MUH SOGGY KNEE
>>
>>51373818
Because Linus not taking any shit means they can't hang around and collect money for doing nothing.
>>
>>51373843

I never really understood the criticism of race in software development. How is he even able to tell someones race/sex/etc. from a username? I can't tell what anyone is on Github bc no one uses their real names. Nor do I care desu senpai.
>>
>>51374426
That's because you're a nigger.
>>
I will just leave this here:
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6907
>>
>>51373673
Wow, guys/girls/fluidsexes, we are actually going to get xir fired. Awesome. :)
>>
>>51374426
SJWs can't function without identity politics. It's all they understand and it's all they have, so of course they're going to make everything about race, sex, gender, etc.
>>
>>51373673
He's a shitty boss, and he tried raping some girl. Fuck him.
>>
Wait, are they winning or something?
I guess I'll just switch to windows now, I'd rather support NSA than SJWs.
>>
>>51374481
The fuck you're talking about? Read >>51374452

BASED LINUS AND CARMACK DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THEIR SJW AGENDAS
WE ARE IN GOOD HANDS BOYS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmbW4ueGdg
>>
>>51374500
Carmack is a Facebook employee.
>>
>>51374452
Fuck as fuck. Several woman have come out and said Linus tried or did rape them. Plus, he's anti-gay.
>>
>>51374452
>“They have made multiple runs at him.” Just let the implications of that sink in for a bit. If my source is to be believed (and I have found him both well-informed and completely trustworthy in the past) this was not a series of misunderstandings, it was a deliberately planned and persistent campaign to frame Linus and feed him to an outrage mob.
Women can't code so they just try to appeal to "Muh feelings"
>>51374525
Fucking retard, they just did the same to snowden, are you this blind or something?
>>
They should put a tax on opinions.
>>
Well this confirms there's a SJW hit out on Linus.

I hope Linus knows how to defend himself. Don't give them a fucking inch.

I think what will happen is that the SJWs will take linux from Torvalds.
>>
>>51373778
>It's not a safe space
Why should it be a safe place? Who gives a shit? If you are a pussy who can't handle the banter then leave the Linux kernel alone, it doesn't need weak and insecure people, you perkeleen vittupää.
>>
>>51373673

The thing is, the best leaders don't cuddle or coddle employees.

You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette - this is true for both raising children and running a business. It is unfortunate millenials don't understand this, as they've been babied their whole lives - see SJWs and slew of autists on *chan/reddit/twitter/facebook.
>>
>>51374552
I guess we will have to move to theo's OS.

or.. HURD eughgh
>>
>>51374616
Linus will never, ever leave, goddamn this is just sjw attention whoring, that will be forgotten in a month or less, he already gave zero fucks about it.
>>
File: 1404947677826.gif (935 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
1404947677826.gif
935 KB, 500x250
>>51374512
Ever since facebook bought the Oculus I haven't heard a pep from Carmack.

I wonder if he really is doing what he was wanting to do since getting bought up.
>>
>>51374634
Has he told anyone to kill themselves lately
>>
>>51374647
Well, he is working with samsung or whatever company that is manufacturing the screen and with android developers to remove the latency issues that plagued the system and shit.
No update past that yet
>>
>>51374492
>SJW or NSA
So, how's BSD these days?
>>
>Waaah we want equity off the backs of others

I'm so tired of this stuff.
>>
>>51373778
nigger, I don't give a shit if you're a homo or a woman as long as you do a good job and neither does Linus.
>>
>>51374833
BSD is pretty good these days. FreeBSD is the only one you can use as a desktop OS. FreeBSD can even do everything OpenBSD can do.
>>
>>51373673
>Linus Torvalds
Literally who?
>>
>>51373673

Torvalds is one of the few men in tech with a spine.
>>
>>51374409
>Did you come up with a new proposal for improving the software like you were supposed to since last month?
>Yes! This code will animate a smiley face every time you open the software
>This is bullshit you basically wasted a month doing nothing
>Stop oppressing me because I'm a woman! I'm reporting you to HR and making a post on Twitter!
>>
>>51374960
Some guy on YouTube who makes tech videos and shills products.

Click my face to learn more.
>>
>>51374500
That is edited footage. In reality, Palmer gave a lenghty answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHv9T3M2FKs#t=42m31s (42 minutes 31 seconds)

Also, purposely or not, man do get picked over woman even if they are skilled equally.
>>
>>51375021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmpEn3lxpw
I think I found him. Seems to be some fat ugly marketing manager for Linux, lol.
>>
>>51375054
Maybe that's because people are tired of women trying to ruin their company from the inside with pushing of unnecessary social reforms, lawsuits, and victim complexes. They just fucked themselves over by making them the further convict of the modern day: the worker no one wants to risk hiring but are legally bound to not discriminate against, and most of the people that do willingly look for them are doing so for the benefits to their company (in this case weight with social justice retards)
>>
>>51375151
so remind me /g/ when all this bullshit began becoming a common thing?
>>
>All this fuss
Linus doesn't give a shit.
He's alpha as fuck
>>
>>51375175
2006. 7th generation video game consoles were the beginning of the end for everything. Retards, normals, hipsters, and everyone else got into video games. Apart from the fact that it began decimating the video game industry with companies seeing an influx of normals as a reason to change their approach to cater to stupid people, but it was also a gateway for all these people to get into related industries such as comp Sci and tech as a whole. Meanwhile girls started pretending to be gamers because it was in and they must use it to be desirable. The overwhelmingly positive reaction to 'gurl gamerz' let them get their foot in the door for other things. "If we can play video games just like boys and get massive attention we should do it elsewhere too. " Then their liberal arts feminist classes reinforced the idea that they should be allowed in this industry without the right qualifications.

In college they teach what we call Gender Feminism, whose philosophy is women need to seek out areas where they are victims and right the wrongs. Basically a big club of women dedicated to calling out any place that doesn't give women an advantage because they're victims. This is opposed to Equity Feminism which peaches equality rather than superiority or advantage in competition for being women. Media attention and the successful brainwashing of women into actually believing women are a superior race puts us close to where we are today. (An example of the extreme end of this is the woman who raised her son as a girl and mistreated him, then tried to castrate him in a McDonald's bathroom).

(continued)
>>
>>51375500
At this point they not only believe their nonsense but they are slowly gaining the favor of media, government, industry, the common man, and more.

It all started with normal people and women massively migrating to games and technology when the Xbox 360 came out, and more specifically, the releases of Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 which basically sold the consoles to normal people singlehandedly because of their massive popularity even among little kids.
>>
File: 200% disgusted.png (739 KB, 1251x713) Image search: [Google]
200% disgusted.png
739 KB, 1251x713
>>51373673
>Y-Yeah bu- but you're still totally misogynistic.

As long as he sticks with it, they'll leave him alone, eventually.
>>
>>51373673
Just pick another target already.

This isn't even a fight. He's not even playing. Arms too short to box with god sjws.
>>
>>51374647
He posts on twitter occasionally about various things. It's always nice to see him talk about racket-lang or whatever else is on his mind
>>
>>51373673
Ridiculous.

Linus knows the (very obvious) fact is if the work environment is so sophomoric and hostile it will end up turning away people who could have contributed good code. So if all you care about is good code, you have to be able to create an environment for it to be generated. And that means reining in the dicks.
>>
This attitude is why the year of Linux on the desktop will never come.
>>
>>51375711
>waah muh hostile work environment
cry more faggot
>>
>>51375766
Thanks to you this thread will receive contributions of lesser quality.
>>
>>51375500
this guy remembers it .
Even I do , and i am 24 now , and at the time was only about gaming , and then suddenly a GIRL appeared on counter strike server , the rest is history...
>>
Yet another predictable hitpiece from a tech blog

Funny how these suddenly pops up after he took down that bitch who tried to tone police him
>>
>>51373805
because they are irrelevant retards?
>>
>>51375711
>sophomoric
woa, big words there mr college guy
>hostile
yea by all accounts (as in from people who actually contribute beyond playing victims and set up a patreon) it's a true meritocracy

of course this is exactly what bay area hipster faggots want because they're all incompetent and care more about gay rights than programming

Linux is GOAT
>>
File: frodo.jpg (22 KB, 395x300) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
22 KB, 395x300
why doesn't microsoft just kill linus and let the SJWs take over?
>>
>>51374614
Actually, the very best leaders know how to bring out the best in their employees by tailoring their approach. Some people respond well to the shit talk, some people respond well to gentler constructive criticism. Some people won't work unless you crack the whip, and some people won't work unless you give them continual praise - typically you don't want either of those types working for you in the first place.

Publically reward good behavior, and privately admonish bad behavior (unless it's egregious or malicious, and they deserve to have their shit called).
>>
>>51375920
*exactly the opposite

fuck me
>>
>>51373673
he should be replaced by non-english speaking sheboon because ooga booga ook ook muh dikk bich ass muhfugga ook ook

as a honkey who get's shit done, he's the number one enemy of the oppressed coons, dunecoons, gooks and their respective female counterparts
>>
File: this fucking guy.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
this fucking guy.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
>>51375077
>canned laughs
>>
>>51375054
>man do get picked over woman even if they are skilled equally
Yeah, it's called going to the interview and outperforming the woman, or having more extracurricular projects. Besides, you cannot even use this card since women literally have lower requirements when it comes to a LOT of things, and are a part of the affirmative action 'movement' nowadays.

MUH CONSPIRACIES.
Fuck off back to tumblr.
>>
Being rude is Finnish culture. Stop oppressing him.
>>
File: feministlol.jpg (162 KB, 796x1112) Image search: [Google]
feministlol.jpg
162 KB, 796x1112
linux is open source

open source means anyone can contribute

open source doesn't mean anyone can contribute garbage

open source also means ANYONE, even sand niggers can contribute as long as the code isn't garbage and / or fits into the project at hand.

look at Con Kolivas. white man, with a real white penis. his patchset, even though amazing, never made it, and most likely wont make it into mainline kernel even though it provides great performance for desktop usage.

his code got, and still is denied from entering the mainline kernel and he doesn't have tits. there is zero racism or sexism going on here. his work didn't get accepted simply because it doesn't fit with the direction the mainline kernel wants to go.

but since its open source, you, and distros can choice to manually apply and use the patches if you choose to.

its not linus fault that mostly men contribute and that linus doesn't want shit tier code in his project he created way back in the 90's. he has pride for what he, and thousands of people contribute to. he, and all the other main kernel developers don't want their baby turned to shit because of some idiots political agenda.

hes not going to deny someones code just to meat a gender quota. let alone deny someones AMAZING code because they are white and have a penis just because he has to meet a women to men ratio quota.

its beyond stupid that these people want to ruin a great project, one of the greatest accomplishments in computers, just because of identity politics.
>>
Don't most contributors not even interact with Linus except through several layers of abstraction?
>>
>>51375923
Actually a good plan from their perspective.
>>
>>51375920
How do you know it is a true meritocracy if you have people who could have made contributions turning away from the community because of the work environment?

I could hire 25 crack heads to work for my company and 1 normal person. The normal person would definitely quit first thing. Would I be right to say "well, they probably would have contributed shit anyway", and then proceed to praise the crackhead with the best (shit) performance?

You've got to keep in mind this push for a better environment is in very broad strokes. Things like "Don't call people cunts" and "Don't randomly say 'Hitler was right'".
>>
File: 300px-Linus_Torvalds_flipped4.jpg (31 KB, 300x460) Image search: [Google]
300px-Linus_Torvalds_flipped4.jpg
31 KB, 300x460
How can a man be so based?
>>
>What I read here says that Linus supports a culture which is misogynist and homophobic, not that he is those things himself.
So being blunt and honest is misogynistic and homophobic, got it.
>>
Linus is a fucking hero. If someone like him ran Mozilla then Firefox would suck a whole lot less right now. Why can't we just clone Linus and put his clones in charge of everything?
>>
>>51374685
>with android developers to remove the latency issues
What a waste of talent
>>
>>51373778
Yea, exactly, and I seriously don't get it. Why is it that these fucks expect me to not be sexist, orhomophobic, when their entire industry which is basically entirely made up of women, faggots, and Europeans, cant manage to not discriminate against themselves. Lol oh well. Glad I have a man's profession, where I don't have to worry about being PC. Those of you in these girly professions though...I dunno, stop worrying about preserving your soft, pedicured hands, and get a real fucking job. I'm sure your bitches (for the few of you this is applicable) will still peg you every night.
>>
>>51375867
>and then suddenly a GIRL appeared on counter strike server
I have never ever seen anything come good of a girl entering a guild/server/community in games. I don't mean the kind that keeps quiet and barely talks. I mean the kind that actively engages a lot socially. Always fucking drama and white knighting
>>
>>51373673

Who else initially interpreted 'How bad of a boss' as 'How much of a badass?'
>>
Why Linux? Why do they want to take away this man's baby? If a majority of people are really so fed up with the environment like they would have us believe, why don't they create their own kernel, or join team GNU Hurd? These people are impotent saber rattlers and nothing productive will come from this.
>>
>>51377220
this
>>
>>51373673
I hear he pays his employees literally nothing.
We NEED an international tribunal to address the slavery, hurt feelings, and other crimes against humanity.
>>
>>51375500
This makes me sad because it is true
>>
>>51377628
I did
>>
>>51373673
>empower
stopped reading there
>>
>>51373818
because they want to contribute :^)
>>
>>51373673
>empower
desu SJW are one of the worst things that have ever spawned up. I don't care if you're a nigger, a spic, a designated shitter, or a biocunt, all I care about is the quality of your work. This is true equality, forced equality doesn't even make sense.
>>
Linus isn't even the boss of most kernel contributors. He just oversees it.
>>
>>51375151
it's because women get pregnant and leave their work while still being paid.

you guys don't seem to know much about reality...
>>
File: 1298101133913.jpg (156 KB, 720x832) Image search: [Google]
1298101133913.jpg
156 KB, 720x832
>>51378295
>forced equality doesn't even make sense.

It makes sense for SJWs. They have come to believe that all humans are entirely equal in every way. Since everyone is equally qualified for everything it's only logical that you'd see a proper % of representation in everything. So 50% men, 50% women, 10% of them black, 5% of those with a disability etc. Whether it's programmers or the military.
Yet this is not reality. Why? The evil patriarchy of white cis men is keeping everyone down obviously.
>>
>>51378518
>The evil patriarchy of white cis men
C U C K
U
C
K
>>
>>51373778
>It's not a safe space.
I can confirm that. I posted on the mailing list yesterday and now I'm in hospital with a stab wound.
>>
>>51376762
That's an extremely flawed analogy

Disregarding that, i know it's a meritocracy because it's fucking open source and because the people who actually contribute says Linux will shit on you IF you fuck up. Do your job and he wont

There is no room for special snowflakes at the top and if someone gets turned away from the community because they can't handle being told they suck then clearly they aren't cut out for this and thus are not the best people for the job

They are free to dye their hair blue, move to the bay area and try to get by on patreon bux
>>
>>51373778
Some needs to shut up and go make me sandwhich right now. because it's obvious you're a bleeding vagina or a socially castrated nanci boy.
>>
>>51374473

This is the consequence of our generation being raised on the meme that everyone had to go to college or they'd end up as fry cooks at McDonald's. Well now we have millions of idiots who were never smart enough to be anything more than fry cooks or Target cashiers taking kiddy courses at college that do nothing but teach this horseshit because anything tougher would wash them out after the first semester.

And now they want to vote for a crazy socialist with no political clout that wants to ramp this process up to 11 by making all the actual retards go to college as well. On taxpayer dime, no less.
>>
>>51373778
>>51377045
this is something I don't get... how does being rude directly translates to being homophobic and misogynistic? the author could at least have given an attempt to explain this logically...

>>51378731
IMO, what's really happening is that companies have no way to hire and profit from those who study humanities, so the people that do study humanities aren't seeing a bright future...
>>
>>51378731
keep preaching gov because i'm gonna copy paste everything to gut SJWs at every recourse!
>>
File: tumblr_ltalohGjbP1r25y9yo1_500.jpg (66 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ltalohGjbP1r25y9yo1_500.jpg
66 KB, 500x375
>>51378731
>>
>>51378873
That doesn't even look like a women.
>>
>>51373778

When is the last time a Linux developer ever murdered another Linux developer in cold blood, or at least physically assaulted one. If you can't answer that question, it's a safe place. Having your feelings hurt on a regular basis does not make a place unsafe.
>>
>>51378783

>IMO, what's really happening is that companies have no way to hire and profit from those who study humanities, so the people that do study humanities aren't seeing a bright future...

How is that any different from what I've said? Humanities are a useless degree born of supply and demand economics. Millions of retards pushed into college get to go and waste tons of money loaned from banks to take the only classes they could hope to pass. Companies have no way to hire and profit from humanities because the humanities are a study with no use aside from making snake oil salesmen in colleges and universities rich.
>>
File: 1442092963936.jpg (63 KB, 507x525) Image search: [Google]
1442092963936.jpg
63 KB, 507x525
>>51373673
>muh sob story of some shitty dyke that couldn't take the banter
This article is fucking eye-poison.
>>
File: 1363113104574.png (9 KB, 309x249) Image search: [Google]
1363113104574.png
9 KB, 309x249
>>51378672
>>
how bout a fucking pastebin, you shill?
>>
>>51378873
Poor fella, can only afford a black-and-white camera.
>>
>>51378951
pastebin is considered harmful

https://a.uguu.se/ayxoae_badboss.txt
>>
>>51378627
Nobody is really complaining about Linus himself, they're complaining about him letting other people act like jackasses.
>>
>>51378900
well, if you think having a humanities degree means you aren't more useful than a cashier... you should understand that those who push for a political ideology, and even those who push for some random brand are people who studied humanities and are being paid by the same companies that supposedly consider them useless.
problem being, some people have ethics and don't want to treat other like sheep so they'd prefer to do research or something else instead of having to deceive people into buying useless shit, but in this neoliberal world, being useful means sucking the dicks of those who have the money. ironically enough, your politicians, who are supposed to represent you, are also being paid to do whatever the fuck rich people wants, and here we are, doing whatever politicians tell us is good for us.

but yeah, I agree, I just mostly repeated what you said, I just gave it a different sense

>>51378888
heh... not really an internal conflict, but, do you remember reiser?
>>
>>51379236

A Masters of Art in Women's Studies is worthless in the real world, Anon.

Also; I have no idea what the fuck you're rambling on about. Stop treating written English like spoken English, and typing like you just climbed off your sister, Cleetus.
>>
>>51379233
Actually, what's really happening is that the gender studies millenials who are posing as tech bloggers are butt flustered because Linus completely rekted some PC cunt

Of course telling a stronk independent womyn to shut the fuck up when she is being a cunt isn't acceptable to these faggots so now they're doing hitpieces on him
>>
What if the only reason Linux has succeeded (and it has succeeded) is because of Linus's leadership? He has a spine to standup to bad practices and seems to prop up his subordinates when necessary.
>>
He's a great boss. It's just a poor fit if you're a pussy.
>>
>>51373673
What people dont realize is that Linus is not the Boss/CEO of Linux. He is just another contributor to a all-volunteer project. He no authority to hire/fire anyone. He has no authority to reprimanded anyone for disruptive or stupid behavior. The Linux mailing lists are open to anyone, he has no authority to control peoples behavior. Pretty much all mailing lists and usenet groups have always been a haven for flamewars and trolling. He is just doing what everyone else does on mailing list chat. If he backs down and is forced to adopt a code of behavior, the spirit of openness and free speech will be gone, nothing will get done because the primadona blowhards will just spam their stupidity unimpeded
>>
I bet this fuck boy enjoyed this article
https://youtu.be/JZ017D_JOPY
>>
>>51374500
>>51375054
I would plow that dumb bitch
>>
>>51373673
What's stopping the SJWs from forking the kernel?
>>
I've pushed through a few changes to Linux. Nothing major, just expanding capabilities... it was a really pleasant experience really. I even fucked up something a bit obvious and Linus was very polite and just asked specific questions about the code I wrote such that when I answered them I realized "oh right yeah I'm a dummy". That's how he is 90% of the time from what I've seen on the lists.
>>
>>51381718
Probably the fact that they'd have to actually do important and useful stuff instead of just crying bitch like bitches.
>>
Why did Open Source become such a trendy thing?
>>
>>51373778
>misogynistic and homophobic
What's bad about this anyway?
>>
>>51381718
You must be deluded to think that those fucking chucklefucks can touch the kernel without breaking something.
>>
>>51373673
>a bastion of male dominance where women are subjected to scorn and disrespect is a problem.

In the trash it goes
>>
>>51373673

Why would they use a picture of 1999? Has Linus been a hermit hiding from cameras for the last 16 years?
>>
>>51376762
>Things like "Don't call people cunts" and "Don't randomly say 'Hitler was right'".

Hitler did nothing wrong, cunt.
>>
>>51373778
No one fucking cares.
>>
>>51373778

Any job in sales is exactly the same, no one gives a fuck about your feelings if you're not selling shit.
>>
>>51373673
I don't give a fuck how "civil" the environment that produces the kernel is. What I care about is technical ability and quality of the kernel itself. This isn't a Chinese electronics factory, it's a FOSS project; you work on it voluntarily. If you don't like the environment, and others don't feel the same, don't keep subjecting yourself to it. It's that easy, just walk away.

>"Uggh you should really use fair trade coffee"
>"Why do you keep coming here and complaining about it? Just go somewhere else".
>>
File: hans-reiser.jpg (126 KB, 346x350) Image search: [Google]
hans-reiser.jpg
126 KB, 346x350
>>51378888
>>
>>51382318
i had to look that up :(
>>
>>51373673

>how bad a boss is Linus torvalds?

That fucking middle school tier grammar.
>>
>>51373673
I'm already cringing and I only read the subtitle
>>
>>51373778
here's your reply
>>
>>51382318
Was his wife a Linux developer?
>>
>>51375054
I think you'll find it's the exact opposite.
If you apply for a cushy job at Google and there's a woman applying too, you're going to lose out to the woman.
>>
>>51373778
And the problem being? Homos and chicks dont linux, bro.. They are yoo busy with their periods.. But seriously.. He does pwn shit.. Love the little faggot
>>
>>51373673
Linus probably slips his tech tip into his interns
>>
>>51381793
From what I hear he's only a dick about it if he knows you can do better. If you're an experienced contributor whose work he's seen and approved of frequently, then you go and make a rookie error, he'll chew you out for it. That seems pretty reasonable to me.
>>
>>51382506
His wife was a horrible woman who abused his children and planned to leave him and take them to get monetary support from the government.
>>
>>51381718
Its much easier to complain
>>
>>51373673
>How Boss is Linus Torvalds?
FTFY
>>
>>51374960
The guy who made 4chan
>>
>>51373673
If he was just an asshole I'd like Linus.

Unfortunately, he's also an egotist and his interactions with the free software movement (which has it's own set of issues, i'm not some crazed stallmanite.) leave much to be desired.

I don't like that people in tech communities are so quick to defend him in general - but in the case of his management style he's broadly got it right.
>>
File: the_pain.jpg (36 KB, 462x579) Image search: [Google]
the_pain.jpg
36 KB, 462x579
>2000
>Don't post your personal fucking information on the internet
>2004
>Don't post your personal fucking information on the internet
>2005
>Post your shitty fucking personal information on Myspace
>2010
>Post your personal information on the internet or you're a kid diddler
>2015
>Post your information on the internet and be a crazy liberal or else you're a racist and a misogynist

Is it only going to get fucking worse or have we reached peak shit yet?
>>
>>51378887
Looks like a girls chin I guess.
>>
>>51378518
source pls
>>
>>51382711
>>51382318
>kill
>Mail-order bride from russia
>>
>>51374960
Oh, nobody important. Just the guy who created and is the main developer of Linux.
>>
>>51382318
Can non-white people be murdered?
>>
>>51373673
Bosses and teachers don't have to be nice, good or such.
They need to be respected.

No matter how nice a "leader" is, if he/she/*he has 0 respect.
>>
>>51384323
Total and completely centralized control of populations is the end game here.
If you know everything, or just enough, about a specific person, you can put them in a social chokehold.
And despite what normies say, you ALWAYS have something to hide.
>>
>>51373673
>Linux Community
>Boss

You don't have to work on it, this isn't a career it is a hobby. You don't bring HR bullshit to a hobby.
>>
>>51378873
>studying "Women Studies"
>hard work towards the American Dream
Hold on a minute...
>>
>>51373756
/thread
>>
>>51387142
you're thinking of steve jobs
>>
The article is not completely off the mark though. The business culture described is exactly what people can hate about job in programming. Most of my friends don't have the confidence/experience to do that, but they always think it when they review code, that some people should just be secretaries rather than developers. And they don't say it, because they don't want to get hated by the people they review the code of, since they need to work together in the company. I'd definitely hate a place where an older guy can just come and bitch around because things aren't done his way.

That said, I think the article forgets something really important which it states in the beginning. Linus Torvalds is not a boss. He set the tone at a time where business culture was still pretty aggressive, and the tone stuck around. More than blaming him, you should blame the cultural environment of twenty years ago. And honestly, I don't think the development practices should change as long as they're effective.
>>
>>51388681
>thinking of steve jobs
All the time...
>>
>Boss hurts your feelings?
>Fork kernel, get new boss
>Problem solved
I don't see the issue here.
>>
>>51381858
Because some people became successful doing it.
>>
>>51375054
>Also, purposely or not, man do get picked over woman even if they are skilled equally.
It's the exact other way round now since employers do not want to be accused of sexism. You have to be a minority now to get a good job easily.

If you think about it it would be a lot more logical to pick men over women, since women will most likely leave your company for months when pregnant.
>>
>>51373778
> It's not a safe space.
It isn't. It's a workspace. Not a safespace.
Please go to the nearest mental hospital to find a safe place.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (106 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
106 KB, 1920x1080
>>51377013
He's just average in an insane world.
>>
>>51373778
>all these baited replies
Come on, guys, look at the carefully thought out choice of words.
>>
>>51373843
>I really do hope that Linus doesn't back down to these idiots
Linus would fuck those womyn silly with his middle finger
>>
>>51389015
>I'd definitely hate a place where an older guy can just come and bitch around because things aren't done his way
Well, when you've contributed as much as Linus we'll consider doing it your way
>>
>>51389854
I'm not saying things should change. I'm just saying it's shitty.
>>
>>51389870
To some people, sure, but that doesn't mean some gender studies, fresh out of college, cunt should dictate how a guy like that does his business

He has earned the right call shit out. The problem with these special snowflake millenials is they've been told they are special when they are not. So now they think the world should bend to their will
>>
>>51375923
open source. Any other rational group can continue.
>>
>>51374316

I support Linus. He may be a jerk but the world is wild and humans have been domesticated by no animal; we are all wild.

Same reason Theo from OpenBSD gets love, he's a total prick.

Both these guys have created islands of success in an ocean of bullshit. It takes some cajones.
>>
>>51377220
Fucking this shit.
>>
>>51378873
>Master of Arts degree
>in Women's studies
I worked so hard
>>
>>51373805

Because for them its minimal effort to turn it around into good press. Look at fucking apple with the gay support. They ruin lives with their manufacturing chain then spend minimal on some pro gay shit and everyone thinks they are a saint great press.
>>
Friendly reminder that goverment proxies and puppets are pushing for the removal of Linus Torvalds from the Kernel Development. The main reason is that they want to install someone willing to bend their way. All this BS about him being problematic is fud designed to remove him from power.
>>
>>51390310
In the end of time
There was a man who knew the road
And the writing, was written on the stone

In the ancient time
An artist led the way
But no one, seemed to understand

In his heart he knew
The artist must be true
But the legend, of the rent was way past due

Well you think you'll be just fine...without me, but your mine!
You think you can, kick me out of the band

Well there's just one problem there
The band is mine
How can you kick me out...of what is mine
>>
>>51373673
Without reading a line from that shit I can deduce that it's some SJW BS. If you can't compete then of course you will be fucked in the ass. If you go there they expect you to do shit. If you can't then there is no reason for you to be there, so they will tell you to fuck off. That's exactly how it should be and it's the correct way to do it.
>>
>>51373673
>Skipping this whole thread.

This is why people split off and make their own shit, no?

Because, when someone disagrees, they are free to use their own abilities to make their own mark.

Every creative environment is "toxic" with egos, this is how they encourage variation and growth, as well as endless streams of drama.

Fuck "leaders" and "DNA", fuck the attempts at blackmail and policing, this is the same low-level shit from any forum or game, make your own mark or fuck off.
>>
>>51374552

Wont that just be a fork? Its open source software anyone can take it you just have to be able to produce a better version.
>>
>>51373778
people are actually replying seriously

shit thread everyone kill yourselves
>>
>>51387854
>chokehold
Everyone has something hide and that's healthy and the way it should be. I would be more afraid of someone who really doesn't have anything to hide. I'm not even sure someone like that is a person anymore.
>>
File: 1438107598347.png (101 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1438107598347.png
101 KB, 327x316
>>51373778
1. Treat women devs with same directness and irreverence as male devs = Misogyny

2. Violence against women = Misogyny

3. Thus, treating women devs the same as male devs = Violence against women

4. Violence against women = physically unsafe

5. Thus, treating women devs the same as male devs = Violent and physically unsafe act

QED
>>
>>51390865
logic isn't their strong suit, that's why they make shit programmers
>>
>>51373673
>OPINION
>proprietaries on suicide watch
saged
>>
>>51390896
/ t h r e a d
t
h
r
e
a
d
>>
>reading the article
>first half
>hmmm, seems like a pretty smart guy
>muh Sarah Sharp
Are you kidding me?
>>
File: 1446031638737.jpg (11 KB, 240x196) Image search: [Google]
1446031638737.jpg
11 KB, 240x196
>>51373673
Linus "Bootyblastin Feminists/White Knights" Torvalds
>>
>>51373673
There's a middle ground between being too nice and being unnecessarily hostile. It's called growing up. Mr Torvalds has the luxury of behaving exactly how he wants; I highly doubt he'd act that way if he were one of the people on one of the lower rungs of the ladder.

Yes, you can tell someone their results are bad. And yes, you can say it without throwing a tantrum. It has nothing to do with technical expertise and all to do with emotional maturity. YOU YUCKY STUPID POOPY-HEAD is not a mature utterance, regardless of the intelligence of the person uttering it.
>>
>>51391436
Except these fuckwads aren't anywhere near Linus' level of intellect.
>>
>>51391436
Yes. And Torvalds is walking it with perfect indifference.
>>
What I'd like to know is how they could even stop him? It's open and free code, not some faceless company
>>
Who man pages here when SJWs/feminists start talking shit bout my boy Linus?
>>
>>51375530
I know /v/ blames these two games and the 360's existence but I'm just not sure you can blame that ecosystem for causing a decline, those games were fun and had depth to them. Ultimately it's social media and the internet's refinement that led to such accessibility which resulted in uninspired products being made for the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>51373778
so don't code linux kernel in your free time for no money
>>
>>51391436
>YOU YUCKY STUPID POOPY-HEAD is not a mature utterance, regardless of the intelligence of the person uttering it.
uttered by someone who has never been on IRC and has never expereinced what its like trying to explain things to clueless total strangers
>>
>>51374960
Gtfo
>>
“I’m not a nice person, and I don’t care about you. I care about the technology and the kernel — that’s what’s important to me.”

"you should avoid the Linux kernel community, where you’ll find a lot of this kind of meritocratic thinking

"some people see this diatribe as evidence that Torvalds is a bad-tempered bully"

fuck yeah, like a boss
>>
Oh look, another hit piece on Linus.

>feminists and socialjustice retards trying to get rid of him because they can't stand a technology patriarch that only cares about technology and doesn't bend his knee to political correctness and the other pillars of neo-progressivism.
>>
>>51391436
>YOU YUCKY STUPID POOPY-HEAD is not a mature utterance, regardless of the intelligence of the person uttering it.
That's a gross simplification of what Linus says, and you should be feel bad.
>"People with brains would know that some of what I say is a joke." --Linus Torvalds DebConf 2014
>>
>>51373778
Of course it's not a safe space, linux is asynchronous and multithreaded, baby.
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.