[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
According to reviews I've seen, the FX-6300 six-core is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 41xjeiOr-SL._SX450_.jpg (20 KB, 450x408) Image search: [Google]
41xjeiOr-SL._SX450_.jpg
20 KB, 450x408
According to reviews I've seen, the FX-6300 six-core is a three-core processor with two threads per core. Said reviews advised me to get a Phenom X6. /g/ posters told me later that AMD doesn't do hyperthreading or anything of the sort and that the FX-6300 is a legit six-core, albeit at a price that I think is too good to be true.

Which one should I get? Does AMD tell the truth about how capable the FX series is?
>>
File: 1437439286593.jpg (102 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1437439286593.jpg
102 KB, 499x499
>>51321571
>not going for intel
>>
The core design is very weird. 1 bulldozer module runs two threads however some parts of the CPU are shared between the module. It offers more performance than 3 cores with HT but less than 6 entire individual cores.

In performance 1 AMD module is worth about 1.8 cores.
>>
>>51321571
don't get it I have this cpu and it is ok but I dot like it
>>
It's totally fine anon. If you're a poorfag like me and want something that is viable for a longer period of time, don't think twice and just buy it. I would suggest you to get a better motherboard along with it though.
>>
>>51321571
>>51321866

>not understanding cpu design
it shares 128bit fpu which merges to a 256bit fpu
efficiency-wise its significantly less powerful than a cmt intel processor per watt, but theres many other factors such as inherently requiring branch prediction in the pipeline (20 cycle penalty per misprediction), and many, many other factors.
in the real world, i own a fx-8350 and it runs fine for my purposes and has a competitive price point (i purchased it for $140 at the time), and i am fairly satisfied with its performance, however, i still sold it because i now have to pay for electricity and i used to run it as a file server
>>
>>51322241
*smt my bad :(
>>
>>51321571
It's got 3 FPUs and 6 integer units, so it's pretty legit 6 cores.
Definitely faster then the i3 it's priced against, even haswell, and possibly skylake.

Unless a skylake i3 is faster than a sandy i5...
>>
>>51322294
Also, it's unlocked so you can easily overclock to 4.5ghz +, unless you got a bad chip.
It's still quite a competitive chip for price/performance.
>>
if the choice is a phenom 1090 compared to a 6300 the phenom wins out

you should just go intel though, an i3 will perform significantly better in gay men at the expense of multitasking capability. i have an 8320e clocked to 4.2ghz and don't feel satisfied with the perf at all.
>>
>>51321571
>Should I buy an AM3+ build
No. AM3+ is dead, there isn't anything new for it - so you're going to be building a whole new rig essentially when you want to upgrade.

>Should I buy an FM2+ build
Probably Not.

>Should I build an 1150 build?
No, see AM3+

>Should I build an 1151 build?
Yes.

>Should I build an 2011-3 build?
Yes.

>Should I build a 2011-1 build?
Probably Not, unless you want to buy Haswell EX for great expense and no OC.
>>
>>51322354
>tfw 1150 build
O-oh. Was my Z97A and 4790k not worth it? I got them long before Skylake was released, and way before I had heard of it.
>>
>>51322372
1151 is too expensive here. Haswell i7 is a good $80 cheaper.

Used market has great value though. I picked up an i7 860 + mobo for $100. Overclocked at 3.8ghz right now.
Got myself a used hd 7950 3 months ago for $150.

So that's pretty much cpu+mobo+gpu that can handle anything I throw at it with ease for the same price as an i3+mobo.

Pretty sure at 3.8ghz it might even trade blows with an i5 4460.
>>
>>51322241
Good lord, why did you get it knowing you'd be running a file server?
>>
i bought this cpu over a year ago and it has been chugging along fine and handling everything i've thrown at it
>>
>>51322372
This is about buying right now, not about what people had purchased in the past.

Haswell was great, but it's a dead platform now - if you'r buying all new, you might as well get Skylake since you'll have DDR4 ready for whatever next build you buy, instead of now EOL DDR3, you'll have a board ready for Skymont if you want to go that way.

>>51322464
See above, if you're upgrading an existing rig and you already have a bunch of DDR3 at the ready, buy the Haswell, you'll save some money now - but for an all new build, don't lock yourself into dead technology.
>>
>>51321571
>AMD
>>
>>51322595
I'd rather buy the haswell and overclock the ram.
Anything haswell(cpu mobo ram) is much cheaper than skylake. In aus those were imported when our dollar was good.
Skylake and ddr4 are after our dollar shat itself.
>>
>>51322636
It's not about the speed of the ram, it's about long term savings.

If you no DDR3 now and buy a DDR3 system, that's it - the ram you purchased can used on exactly one system, no future builds will be able to use it.

If you buy DDR4 now, you will be able to continue using that ram for the next 6-8 years.

Again, if you already have an amount of DDR3 and aren't intending on replacing it anyway, get Haswell as you'll save money now since you don't have to buy RAM.
If you DO need to buy RAM for whatever reason, DON'T buy DDR3 as it's no longer a good value purchase.
>>
>>51321571
The fx 6300 is a 3 core processor, with AMDs "version" of Hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is proprietary to intel, but that doesnt mean that that type of technology itself is proprietary. Intel implements it in a certain way, AMD has their own. I forgot what the actual technology is called but do a quick google search youll find all the answers in a wikipedia entry.

I won a FX 6300. It is definitely a capable processor. Honestly just go for the cheaper one.
>>
>>51322655
This.

Waiting for AM4.
>>
>>51323362
6 128-bit FPUs, 6 Integer cores. shared front-end and L2.
FPUs inside modules can be combined to do larger fused ops.
It's 6 cores, get over it.
>>
>>51322655
>If you buy DDR4 now, you will be able to continue using that ram for the next 6-8 years.
Because you'll want to use your 4/8GB sticks in 8 years when 32/64GB sticks are the norm? When your motherboard will only have 4 slots?
>>
>>51323362
>hyperthreading
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
Hyperthreading is SMT, AMD uses CMT. It's 6 real physical cores.
>>
>>51322655
God I knew there was some reason why I was holding back on DDR3, now it all makes sense
>>
>>51323447
no its not. there are three cores. any task manager/system monitor will tell you 6 threads and 3 physical cores.
>>
File: amd-piledriver-vishera-die.jpg (761 KB, 982x800) Image search: [Google]
amd-piledriver-vishera-die.jpg
761 KB, 982x800
>>51323500
Vishera. Notice the 4 packages with individual caches adding up to 8 in total. It is an 4/6/8 core processor with 2 cores per package.
>>
>>51323362
Oh boy, you're a dumbass.

Hyperthreading is just a marketing name for SMT or simultaneous multi threading. SMT is not proprietary to intel. It is a theory, and intel only has one practical implementation of this theory. IBM uses a separate one. Modern MIPS designs use another.

AMD's Bulldozer family uses CMT or clustered multithreading. Instead of using AGUs and registers to tag and sort instructions to produce a logical thread like SMT, CMT uses physical cores.
The module design is two small but distinct cores that are joint together to increase compute performance per mm2.
The FX 6300 does not have 3 cores. It has 6.

>>51323500
>I'm a tech illiterate retard

A task manager only shows what the programmers code it to show, it is not the authority on technical matters.
There are 2 separate X86-64 cores inside of every module. They fetch, decode, execute, and retire X86 instructions individually. There is no arguing this point. Each module is two separate cores with a FlexFPU.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.