[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Desktop / WM Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: mate.png (1 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
mate.png
1 MB, 1280x800
Hello all,

Windows has pissed me the fuck off by crashing to beat all hell for no fucking reason for the second time in a row. Windows 10's start menu is complete piece of shit and I don't want to go back to seven so fuck Microsoft, I am going to Linux. I am not a huge gamer and the games that work native on Linux in today and age will work fine for me. Wine will work fine for the few older classic I play so fuck Microsoft, problem is, I don't know what Desktop I want. So I figured is time for another pointless thread in which a bunch of Linux users prove their cock is larger based on what Desktop or WM they like. I like Mate a lot as I am a huge Gnome 2 fan but it seems dated, can someone recommend me a setup that doesn't suck ass. KDE and Gnome just seem like they try to hard.
>>
XFCE

Its flat, its easy to use, and doesnt look shiny like gnome
>>
dwm e-boner reporting in
>>
>>51321272

You can run games in a Windows VM with 90% of original performance using qemu/kvm+GPU passthrough.
>>
>>51321667
Indeed but this computer doesn't support AMD-Vi, my newest one does but its at a friends house right now so I am going just use native games + wine for now. I am thinking about a tiling window manager but every time I use those, fullscreen apps are a bitch to get working. Any recommends or good tiling window managers that handle this well?
>>
>>51321751
you also need iommu, and that's more of a mobo thing. something that AMD is better at supporting anyway
>>
>>51321793
My motherboard supports it but again that PC won't be accessible for a few weeks. I just need Internet+Borderlands+few other games right now.
>>
>>51321667
Is this possible on OS X? Specifically a hackintosh.
>>
>>51321833
I guess it could but I am skeptical that it'll work. You need both the motherboard and the CPU to support it.
>>
>>51321293
this, I'm currently using gnome on my x220t for the touch friendly aspects, but the xfce on my t400 is much snappier and easier to use and customize
>>
>>51321870
2600k and a gigabyte 67 series?
>>
>>51323384
Check if it has vt-d support. I believe most k series cpus don't have it.
>>
Openbox generally "just werks", since it puts as much effort into being 100% netwm/iccm/mwm/etc compliant as possible. Most window management scripts like pytyle are tested with it, so expect them to work. You don't really need a true tiling WM except for saving miniscule amounts of RAM and being hardcore enough to use software that forbids what insane ricers call "being a pleb".
>>
File: 1409707829035.jpg (197 KB, 1062x954) Image search: [Google]
1409707829035.jpg
197 KB, 1062x954
>>51321272
Fuck you and your shitty blog.
>>
Awesome WM reporting in
>>
>>51322214
what theme and all? post screenfetch
>>
i3 here
>very easy to configure and customise
>helps you make the most of your space if you have a small screen
>well behaved if you connect an external monitor
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.