[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the advantages of the Kobo e-reader series over the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
What are the advantages of the Kobo e-reader series over the Kindle ones?

If you do not sign into Amazon they are virtually the same. The base Kobo model without a light, like the Kindle 4 is $89, but you can get a used Kindle 4 for $30 on Amazon. The only other advantage I see is that Kobo uses epub and Amazon uses shitty KOBI but it's easy to convert.
>>
Do people seriously read extensively on these things? I can understand for manga or something but if in reading a lengthy book there is just a different feeling in reading a physical copy. It's a different experience psychologically
>>
>>51318930
They are great for books that you read sequentially. Printed books are great for random access.
>>
>>51318930
If it works for you. I like having a single device for reading all of my books. It's also very easy to put books on quickly.
>>
>>51318930
E-readers are great for linear, sequential reads. I used my Kindle mostly for SF novels before it broke. You don't waste space on a printed library, you can take more books on a trip, and the light weight and single panel mean you can read comfortably from more positions.

For random-access reading, like any kind of textbook or manual, they are annoying as hell.
>>
>>51318930
I got one about a month ago and according to its stats I've spent about 50 hours reading on it so far. All books.
>>
>>51318832
There are no ads in the Kobo
>>
>>51319087
Good point. But you save $20 when you buy a Kindle with ads. I don't find them that intrusive, if you keep it without an Internet connection for a while it will stop displaying them.
>>
>>51318832
Some of the Kobo models have SD slots.
>>
Are kobos the best ereaders on the market right now?
>>
>>51318832
>If you do not sign into Amazon they are virtually the same.
Do they both support epub? My entire library is in epub.
>>
Kindle paper white is super ideal for reading I was skeptical before buying it but would never go back to paper now. Screen is really good on eyes not like a normal tablet or computer screen at all. And makes big books so much easier to hold and store
>>
>>51321484
Probably not because "hurrdurr piracy"
>>
They can read fucking epubs
I mean Jesus christ Kindle allow your readers to read the most common and open book format and I'll use
It's like an ipod blocking mp3. It's fucking retarded
>>
>>51318930
>Do people seriously read extensively on these things?
Yes. I haven't touched a real book in years. I read ~1 Book/month in my reader.
>>
>>51321484
kindle don't support epub.
You can convert them via calibre.
You can Mail files to amazon to upload to a kindle. With this they convert stuff, but I don't know if they convert from epub, too.

It always makes me hard, when amazon copies a pirated copy on my kindle, that would've cost +20€ in their store.
>>
>>51322531
>They can read fucking epubs
>can
source?
>>
>>51322609
I meant that Kobos can, Kindles cannot. It was in response to the OP
>what's the advantage of Kobo over Kindle?
>they can read epubs
>>
>>51322609

>What are the advantages of the Kobo e-reader series over the Kindle ones?
>They can read fucking epubs
He's saying the Kobo can. This is common knowlege
>>
>>51322695
>>51322701
Wow dude. Logic-mind here. Feels good to know people have reading comprehension as well as the skills to easily write exactly the same way I do
>>
>>51322701
>>51322695
>>51322716
ok, carry on then.
>>
The interface tends to be buggy as shit on Kobo devices but past that they're pretty good. Perfect for reading books (epubs and kepubs) and comics/mangos.
>>
>>51318832
If you're into gliders, you can hack a kobo mini to run xcsoar.
>>
>>51318832
Does anyone know of a good large screen altrnative for textbooks, general reading and manga? I'm looking at the boox m96 and the jtbook color 2? Or should I just get a tablet for my pdf textbooks?
>>
>>51322531
Yeah, but converting over Calibre is the easiest thing in the world, even my mom is able to do it.
I agree it's shitty on Amazon's side, but it causes so little extra work that I wouldn't base my decision on it. As in, assuming Kobo and Kindle are absolutely identical, except Kindle can't read epubs and Kobo costs 5 bucks more, I'd still buy the Kindle.
>>
>>51318930
>It's a different experience psychologically
Found the luddite.
>>
>>51322592
That's seriously what the email is for? Will be using that anon thanks
>>
>>51324038

I find that readers really struggle with more complex or unoptimised PDFs. A larger tablet would be better for more graphics-heavy content, but also means you can use it for RPG books too if that's your thing.
>>
Is the Kobo tied to any online shop like the Kindle obviously is to amazon?

I'm looking for a purist device that supports all the common file types and a OS that is essentially nothing more than a file browser.

How are Sony's readers?
>>
I'm tempting to buy a Kobo now that my Kindle 3 kb is broken, can you sync reading status with the mobile/pc app for epubs and pdfs? On Kindle is fucking easy to just drop a mobi to your document storage and have it synchronised with all devices.
>>
>>51318832
as someone who uses a Kobo every day (and it ain't easy importing Kobo to where I live):
> SD cards on some models
> way easier to installing Night Mode or KOReader (the only way to have a halfway decent experiece while reading PDFs)
> slightly cheaper when compared to Kindle
>>
>>51318832
>What are the advantages of the Kobo e-reader series over the Kindle ones?
At the time I wanted a model with a light.

With the amazon model, the light can only be turned off in-menu, that means fiddling around with a touchscreen that's not exactly the most responsive, all e-ink screens were/are like that though, so whatever.

The kobo model had a handy dandy button on the top that turned the light on and off easily and without hassle.

Having the light on all time wastes battery that I didn't need to waste.

Also, at the time, for me to transfer my extensive ebook collection to a kindle would've involved some convoluted process or some shit.

Kobo was just plug and play.

Perhaps things have changed?

Regardless, fuck amazon because they can at any time delete the books you've bought and paid for from them.
Kobo doesn't have such control over your shit.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.