[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just starting out with C programming. Why are C compilers such
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 3546356f.jpg (30 KB, 446x613) Image search: [Google]
3546356f.jpg
30 KB, 446x613
Just starting out with C programming.

Why are C compilers such a huge fucking mess of shit?

I was expecting to find a simple stand-alone exe that's maybe a couple hundred KB max.

Instead I keep finding compilers like Cygwin with fucking bizarre installation processes that connect to a server and download & install hundreds of files.

When I stopped the Cygwin installer it was at 7% and had already installed nearly a fucking gigabyte of files.

What gives?
Does it really take that much shit just to translate C code into machine code?

>ib4 install linux & use gcc (I already have it installed. I'm talking about Windows compilers right now though.)
>>
anyone?
>>
>>51317683
libraries
>>
>cygwin
Because you're trying to do linux stuff on windows.

If you're going to do C programming on Windows your only well supported option is Visual Studio.
>>
>>51317683
http://bellard.org/tcc/
>>
File: snapshot2.png (23 KB, 967x182) Image search: [Google]
snapshot2.png
23 KB, 967x182
can you read?
>>
The last time I used a C compiler on Windows, I used this. Cygwin is not a compiler. You failed at reading somewhere.

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
>>
>>>51317683
>Cygwin
>Compiler
>>
>>51318797
Thanks. Never saw that anywhere when installing.
>>
>>51318867
>>51318926

When I asked around to find out what compiler to use for Windows, people kept telling me Cygwin. :/
>>
>>51318867
>http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
do note that this page literally says "Dev-C++ can also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based compiler.", suggesting that Cygwin is a compiler
>>
>>51318972
they meant to say Gentoo
>>
>>51318972
Cygwin is a means of running Linux based software on Windows machines.

It could potentially allow for a C compiler, but I would avoid Cygwin if possible as its hit & miss.

Just download virtualbox, download an Linux ISO and setup there.
>>
Try Dev++ I don't know a lot about C/C++, but when I gave a go at C++ I used Dev++ and loved it.
>>
>>51319056
Cygwin is package management for Linux tools on Windows. I don't think it compiles them from source, as that would take awhile. If it did, it's using GCC and not Cygwin as the compiler.
>>
Cygwin is an environment that allows you to build POSIX-compliant applications under Windows and run them. It includes POSIX standard libraries and emulation of things Windows has no support for (like fork()).

If you just want a compiler, you can use Microsoft's official C/C++ compiler called Visual C++ (it has very poor support for modern C standards though) or something like mingw (a lightweight collection of GNU tools for Windows including gcc).
>>
>>51318972

Fucking hell, I don't even tell people to get Cygwin. It's a giant unnecessary POSIX environment on Windows, and everything that links against its DLL must be GPL'd.

Here:
http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/

Yes, the compiler and its accompanying libraries take up more than a free hundred kilobytes. Yes, there is a package manager if you want to get other tools too, like a Fortran compiler. No, it's not a bloated pile of shit.
>>
Stop trying to be a hipster and use the superior option, MSVC.
>>
>>51318936

>Never saw that anywhere when installing.

Which is why you should have read the damn documentation before installing.

God... fucking plebdoze users.
>>
Compilers need lots of supporting stuff, like header files, libraries, utilities, etc. You're not going to find a simple 200kb .exe compiler, unless it's someone's toy project.

Also I don't think C compilers are really a thing anymore, everything compiles C++ as well as C, which bloats it out much more (due to the C++ standard library being bigger than the C standard library).
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.