[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ I have an idea for a device that acts like a computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: FNNRTKAIADRM01V.RECT2100.jpg (430 KB, 2100x1750) Image search: [Google]
FNNRTKAIADRM01V.RECT2100.jpg
430 KB, 2100x1750
Hey /g/

I have an idea for a device that acts like a computer but is not a computer in theory.

let me first start off by telling you a dream I had. In this dream me and a group of people are giving a task to make a new design for computers. A bunch of weird shit happens and then we made a "computer" called the Morpheus Cube. it was about the size of a GameCube. But with minimalistic look to it.

Now here's how it works (in my dream). You could put a cube on top of another cube to make it more powerful. So one cube has the power of a standard computer. If you put two cubes on top of each other then it could run more intense software and programs. Stack three of those cubes and you'll get a monster of a device.

Now that you know the idea of the Morpheus Cube. Here comes the hard part.

To make it work like I wanted to work in my dream. I'll have to remake the computer from the bottom up. So that means:
>no video cards
>no ram
>no processor
>no motherboard

But a new way for the users to make a command and the cube does it and for the cube to hold information.

Do you guys have any ideas for it to work or was this just a weird ass dream

>pic related
>is how the cube looked in my dream
>>
>>51317058
>>>/biz/
>>
>>51317058
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconventional_computing
>>
>>51317058
well how would it work?
parallel computing works up to a certain extent but requires software to take advantage of it.
we used to have massively parallel machines in the 70s and 80s but they were shit because its very difficult to coordinate.

>But a new way for the users to make a command and the cube does it and for the cube to hold information.
you need to learn to speak english first.

>Do you guys have any ideas for it to work or was this just a weird ass dream
i had a dream about driving my car into space but it doesn't mean its going to happen or makes sense
>>
>>51317141

I don't know how it will work to be honest. But fuck it was a cool idea.
>>
>>51317058
>I have an idea for a device that acts like a computer
Then its a computer

>but is not a computer in theory.
Yes it is.
>>
File: 456px-Advanced_Test_Reactor.jpg (30 KB, 456x599) Image search: [Google]
456px-Advanced_Test_Reactor.jpg
30 KB, 456x599
>>51317058
>no video cards
>no ram
>no processor
>no motherboard
So that means a non Von Neumann machine.

>a new way for the users to make a command and the cube does it
Start by coming up with a way to carry out the 7 logic operations (AND, OR, etc) THEN worry about commands.

>for the cube to hold information
You need a new medium obviously. I know only of one thing that glows like the cube in your picture that's not a LED, Cherenkov radiation. Curiously enough, I don't think there's ever been any kind of alternative computing based on radiation.

So I guess you could start by learning nuclear physics and quantum computing.

This is way out of your league but even if you get a prototype working you'll earn a pretty good grant for sure.
>>
>>51317325
Not necessarily, when people talk about computers they are talking about Von Neumann architecture. You're technically right but you're taking it too literally. He means a computer without a CPU/memory.
>>
File: NUMAand4VMs[1].png (89 KB, 609x410) Image search: [Google]
NUMAand4VMs[1].png
89 KB, 609x410
>>51317058
Your idea is basically impossible, because it only speeds up parallel operations. Not serial ones.
Your computer will only work in the context of distributed computing, because that is literally what you have. Nothing more than an overcomplicated network configuration between multiple entirely separate computers.
>>
File: 14845767294_5e661ec1c0_k[1].jpg (506 KB, 596x2048) Image search: [Google]
14845767294_5e661ec1c0_k[1].jpg
506 KB, 596x2048
>>51317451
Well, it doesn't matter if he's talking about Von Neumann or Harvard or IBM's neural thing.
Algorithms aren't suddenly going to work in parallel.
>>
File: 1444338443630.gif (411 KB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1444338443630.gif
411 KB, 499x281
>>51317263
>I don't know how it works
>but, dude, it was, like, totally awesome
fucking stoners and their pseudo-epiphanies
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.