[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get slack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: photo.png (76 KB, 356x356) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
76 KB, 356x356
I tried several distros and I just keep moving from one another. This time I'd actually like to install Slackware. Is it a waste of time?
>>
>>51315442
If you line it
>>
File: Telenor-Genex-Third-visual-1.jpg (172 KB, 1132x800) Image search: [Google]
Telenor-Genex-Third-visual-1.jpg
172 KB, 1132x800
If you're a total stupid newbie with no prior experience I wouldn't recommend it. But otherwise go for it. It's the most UNIX-y distro in the Linux family and one of the most fun to set up and configure. Good installer too.
>>
>>51315612
I'm neither, I guess. I installed Arch a couple of times but I really didn't have fun with it. At the moment I'm looking for a distro to tinker with as a hobby, not installing a durable system.
>>
I like Slackware, but I'll need to go to a binary based system for college work for now.
>>
>>51315682
Tinkering?
Use Gentoo.
>>
>>51315755
I'm not really sure I'm ready for that kind of distro, but I'll give it a try for sure once I get more experienced with GNU.
>>
>>51315742
Slackware is a binary distribution.
>>
>>51315682
Well Slackware is one of the most stable Linux Distros i've tried. I really like the KISS design of it. But i stopped using it, because I had to setup many things by myself, and some things didn't work like my Wacom USB Tablet.
>>
Yes: you should try slackware. I am using it since 10 years (always coming back to it from debian, gentoo, arch).
Its rock stable and 100% systemd free.

Also give voidlinux a try: not as stable as slack (rolling release) but pretty neat
>>
yes it's a waste of time unless you want to be a neckbeard. Nice installer and documentation but it lacks a package manager..
>>
http://sms.it-ccs.com/

Fun to tinker with and slackware based. Server oriented distribution.
>>
>>51315909
It's primary focus is on source or slackbuilds.

I tried to install Blender and just gave up because it was taking so long.
>>
>>51315804
Requires some package building, dependencies can be a bitch sometimes, sometimes slackbuilds are not available in a version you want but you can quite easily get away with changing the script here and there. It's pretty fun but can take a while to get the hang of it.
>>
>>51316167
no, slackbuilds are unofficial

the entire Slackware distro is everything that comes on the DVD and that's meant to be a complete system. You're free to install/compile third-party software, but it's not officially supported
>>
>>51316326
Sounds like fun. The only thing that's stopping me right now from installing it on my drive is the boot loader. I need GRUB to dual boot it and I'm not really sure if i can accomplish to replace LILO. Also I'm on a UEFI system and that's a pain in the ass. Hence I'm installing it on a VM for now.
>>
>>51316403
read this:
http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware64-current/README_UEFI.TXT

ELILO should work, if not then GRUB shouldn't be too much of a pain; it's a complex mess, but it works automagically

and if ELILO works, you get to see how much better it is
>>
>>51315442

>2015
>using slackware

top kek
>>
>>51315442
It's the best distro, more or less.
>>
>>51316618
Thank you I'll definitely try it
>>
>>51316641
because muh cutting edge, right?
>>
>>51315442
It's really good, as long as you don't need obscure packages. There's a decent amount of stuff on Slackbuilds, but some don't compile. It's not as bad as the AUR though.
>>
>>51315442
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/tdose2009/t-dose-slackware.pdf
>>
>>51316684
More like muh package manager with dependency resolution. Not a 2015 invention.
>>
>>51317222
>needing to install dependencies
>not having everything you need installed from the beginning
>>
>>51315442
Definitely not, if you've tried Arch, you've tried a time-sink. With Slackware its the exact opposite. Spend the first coupe of hours of use figuring out how to use slackpkg, maybe install a slackbuild program like sbopkg/sbotools, and set up everything the way you like it. And you will never, ever, ever need to fix or maintain anything, other than the occasional package update, but with Slackware those are few and far between.

In short, if you don't need too many packages and can live just fine with most packages being some minor version behind. You'll be set for life.
>>
>>51317367
Well this is encouraging. Thanks for the info bro.
>>
>>51317466
To be quite honest, I tried this for fun on my old laptop just to see what it was, didn't expect to use it too much and I thought I'd go back to Mint. But as soon as I got things set up I couldn't go back. It's way too comfy for me now. Can't think I'd ever replace it, expect not permanently.
>>
>>51317497
>expect not permanently

Brain fart there:

>at least not permanently*
>>
you must install slackware from floppy disks
>>
>>51317599
I don't even have a floppy disk reader :(
Perhaps I still have a couple of floppy disks, somewhere in some drawer, tho.
>>
>>51317720
He's lying.
>>
>>51317797
I was joking, too m8 :)
>>
OpenSUSE is also slack based
>>
>>51317858
I figured, but this is 4chan, you can never be too sure.
>>
File: slack1[1].png (31 KB, 163x192) Image search: [Google]
slack1[1].png
31 KB, 163x192
>>51317367
>>51317497
this guy knows what's up
>>
You can also use deb2tgz and rpm2tgz to convert debian and rpm's. Everything I've personally tried has worked. (provided you have the dependencies too).

On that note, you can write a script to keep track of third party dependencies.
>>
>>51317896
ish... it was once based on it, but as far as i am aware it's no longer the upstream.
>>
>>51315442
nah it's good, I'd go with one of the derivatives instead of straight slack, I"d suggest salix, if I remember right they have a package manager that has slackbuilds functionality built in
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.