[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My boss wants a server for the office, to handle emails, etc.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151112_141848378.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_141848378.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
My boss wants a server for the office, to handle emails, etc.

I've installed MS SBS 2003 per his request but it's just so bad... Can't even get it connected to network because drivers missing, even after using smartstart CD w/ drivers.

Best linux distro to use instead?
I hear fedora is good for servers.
Would like to have all capabilities of shitty MS SBS 2003.

pic related, the server(s)
>>
>>51314511
For server go Debian, CentOS, or Ubuntu Server, I'd recommend ESXi, if the HW is supported, then you can use Windows easier since VMTools take care of the Win drivers and the Linux stuff too.
>>
>>51314511
Get Redhat. It's not expensive and offers actual support and warranties.
>>
Gentoo is the only real choice
>>
>>51314511
>SBS 2003
I'm literally crying
>>
>>51314762
yeah, me too man, after that install...

>>51314677
may try debain, I hear good things.
>>
>>51314809
>>51314677 here, did your boss specifically ask for 2003? I mean, I'm a sysadmin too, but I'd never use a no longer supported OS for any other reason than legacy requirements for some systems - let alone if there is a newer, more stable, and more feature-rich successor available (2008R2).

Why didn't you object? Or you never seen a WS2k3 before and didn't know what you were getting into?
>>
Two people need to be drug tested immediately:

-Your boss for suggesting that

-You for actually doing it
>>
>>51314511
Couple pieces of advice OP.

- Talk to your boss before doing anything. I've read stories of people being fired for going against their demands even if you mean the best. Convince him/her of a better alternative.

- Don't ask 4chan for advice on anything. Just don't.
>>
>>51314977
I did object, but he's hellajew. We have a key for 2003, so that's what I installed. Not pirating anything for corporate server. That's why I want a linux server-friendly distro (drivers, capabilities)

>>51315015
Job security v high, not at risk.
I've seen intelligent posts here, you just have to sift through the stupid.
>>
>>51315013
Eh, I think his boss is just a cheapskate for not buying a 2008R2 licence (hell, I'd be surprised if that 2003'd be legit)...
>>
>>51314511
Which country are you hailing from? How big is the company?
>>
Not Fedora.

CentOS (is like RHEL but free and you get no warranty) and Debian are good choices.
>>
MANAGING YOUR OWN EMAIL SERVER
AYY LMAO
HAVE FUN
>>
>Fedora good on servers
Maybe 15 years ago, the entire purpose of the OS has changed since they dropped the name Core.

Now it's a testbed for new features, very much NOT great for servers
>>
>>51315185
>>51315201

CentOS seems to be an accepted distro for bidness people, will try that as well.

>>51315209
ikr
>>
Univention Corporte Server.
Linux with samba4 packages for active directory support.
Have it running on the free ms server 2012 hyper-v
>>
>tfw you're asked to do something stupid
>>
Debian is the classic sever distro

>>51315209
Also this. Just use gmail.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.