[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ignoring tinfoil hats, does /g/ like ChromeOS? I tried a chromebook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: chrome-os-logo.jpg (15 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
chrome-os-logo.jpg
15 KB, 640x400
Ignoring tinfoil hats, does /g/ like ChromeOS? I tried a chromebook today and there were no flaws.
>>
It's a chrome browser running on gentoo.
It's hardly an OS.
>>
>>51313573
ChromeOS fans my friends do you eat shit out of your own hands you piss-showering advocates?
>>
>>51313585
>hardly an OS
that doesn't discount it
>>
It's a pretty boring OS, the Android application compatibility is shaky and marginal at best (requires to load the applications into the browser as developer-mode unsigned extensions, what the christ?) and it lacks ports of common things I need, like Mumble. It can't run Qt or GTK based applications, so I can't use it.

>>51313594
epic
>>
>>51313573
No good music player for it.
>>
Imo its too locked down. No decent RDP implementation, also you cant connect to samba fileshares. Those two things made me install arch on my acer C720 (works perfect, all drivers present). Though if you dont need power user features you will be just fine with chrome os.
P.S.
If you want to install chrome os on not a chromebook- why?
>>
>>51313573
There's nothing TO say about it. It's the bare minimum of what can do anything. Basically for tech illiterate Chromebook users and whoever centers their world around Google's services
>>
>>51313573
B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
>>
File: x220.jpg (83 KB, 643x660) Image search: [Google]
x220.jpg
83 KB, 643x660
using my Acer CB3 as my ChromeOS experience

>extremely convenient
>5 second cold boot to browser
>very lightweight
>inexpensive
>everything just werks

if you need something to only check your email, browse the web, use google docs, a chromebook with chromeOS is what you SHOULD use. I bring it everywhere just because it's so light and inexpensive yet very fast for what it does.

if you need to use any professional software, build a desktop and put windows on it or buy a new thinkpad.

this really should go for all of /g/ and not just this thread. you should never buy a laptop for any serious work unless you're a professional that needs to do their work while they're traveling to other work related things and time is money.
>AKA <1% of /g/

this is why chromebooks are nice. they're a poormans macbook. the trackpad on them is also fucking amazing. easily the best i've ever used on any laptop.
>including old thinkpads sorry
always does what you want it it do with no hitches

this is also just babbling now, but I think the trackpoint on thinkpads is absolutely useless unless it's a 12.5" or smaller.
>>
>>51313573
if you can get over the fact that google pretty much own you then it's not even that bad. crosh is fairly reasonable and it all looks quite pretty.
it's so fucking easy to unlock your bootloader and run the john lewis patch though that you have literally no excuse to not be running arch or your non-botnet distro of choice.
>>
>>51313573

ignoring the fact that it's botnet, by far the best browser, mozilla has got more bugs in comparison and ofc I don't wanna talk about other browsers like opera or midori, cancer
>>
>>51315039
ignore me, I'm retarded
>>
The only thing about ChromeOS I like is that the laptops are cheap, like the Toshiba Chromebook 2.
>>
>>51313573
It's literally just a Google cloud thin client laptop. It only good if you like CLOUD services. If your internet is shit, and if you want to do work offline...the OS is useless outside of native Linux installation. The best part about the laptop is the hardware, linux user friendly, and price.
>>
>>51313841
100% this
>>
>>51315056
>good news everyone, kekzilla has now released a reskinned safari for all you Apple fans
>nevermind fixing bugs or that pesky e10s, now you can pretend to use a shitty browser on your iPad
>>
>>51316127
>reskinned safari
I don't think shitposts about declining software are supposed to put them in a positive light. Stealing Safari's "Webkit" browser source code would probably benefit Firefox, by this point.
>>
I have never tried it and I don't know anyone who have a netbook.
I think the idea is good though.
A cheap, lightweight linux laptop where you basically just press clone and all your configs are restored.
But the complementation is sketchy and I know I can make it better myself.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.