[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
language oblivious programming books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: international-programmer-day-1.jpg (37 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
international-programmer-day-1.jpg
37 KB, 600x400
I was always taught to learn how to program, not how to program using x language . Are any books or text which teach good, clean and efficient code writing which may or may not use a language as a demonstrative (so may use pseudo code )?
>>
sicp
>>
File: 1444905771856.jpg (93 KB, 620x826) Image search: [Google]
1444905771856.jpg
93 KB, 620x826
bump
>>
>>51313390
>nose ring
fucking disgusting
>>
>>51313361
>language oblivious
Well, it gets the meaning across, but it's really an abusive use of the word. I would have gone with something like "language-independent", or one that's currently gaining traction in its new usage: "language-agnostic".

I'm curious to see if this kind of use of "agnostic" will spread into mainstream usage.
>>
once you get into specifics is when you find languages abstracted I found

ie. book on OS or networking, or algorithms.

learning how to program is basically picking up a language, so find a lang u like and cover it, and branch out from there

personally, I suck at writing in c, havent used it since uni told me to, but books that are in c are easy to translate
>>
>>51313361
>I was always taught to learn how to program, not how to program using x language
You were taught wrong. Start learning by doing.
>>
I like http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/ in this regard. It's not perfect, but it's the closest to your intentions that I know of.
>>
>>51313455
This to be honest, I once read a book about programming, but never applied it, and within a week or two, everything I had learned was pushed out of my memory.

Years later, I had a process that I literally *HAD* to automate into a painless, easy, modular and customizatiable process. I opened le random internet minimalist IDE and googled "how to x" and began copy-pasting code from the internet, snippets from here, snippets from there, I began understanding what these snippets do, then i began changing them, then I began writing my own code, then my own programs, then writing other languages.

Most programming languages are really similar, desu.
>>
>>51313570
>Most programming languages are really similar, desu.

1) prolog
2) brainfuck
3) java
>>
File: PPP2frontNback.jpg (113 KB, 1170x677) Image search: [Google]
PPP2frontNback.jpg
113 KB, 1170x677
>>51313361
You can't program without a language anon, even it you have to invent one just to learn. EG, in TAOCP by the Shakespeare of programming Donald Knuth created MiX, to satisfy that pedagogical need. You're teachers were wrong.

Meanwhile, this book is probably the single best book for beginners to learn from. It actually focuses on teaching the craft of programming itself (and fairly rigorously) not the language.
>
>>
>>51313387
Beat me to it

No joke op it really does
>>
What language oblivious book can teach me to program video games?
>>
codeacademy
>>
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Teaches computer programming using a language created by the authors.
>>
>>51313438
>new
>>
Foundations of Computer Science - C Edition
>>
the practice of programming and sicp
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.