[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Feels bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 6ee.png (20 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
6ee.png
20 KB, 400x462
I'm an engineering student with a somewhat above average resume and experience, I'll be graduating in less than a year.
The problem is, I don't know if I'm going to be able to.

I used to go to hackathons, hold events and meet with people to talk about all aspects of technology. I used to enjoy engineering school and I used to enjoy a a geeky conversation around some cool beers.

For a year or-so, I have lost all interest in almost everything. I used to enjoy staying long nights working on projects that would solve real-world problems, then toss it around and argue over-it and start again.

Now I can barely find the motivation to work on school projects. Getting up everyday has become a battle against myself, and I'm afraid of the day that I'll start losing that battle.

I tried forcing myself into social situations where I had to mingle or talk to people. I tried looking on Github for projects that, a few years ago would have got me jumping at the edge of my seat, now the only reaction is "meh".

I don't want to say that I'm depressed, because I know people that went through that (clinically) and they had it a lot worse.

Am I a privileged bored middle class kid ranting out of boredom, or did 5 years of engineering just wear me off?

Anyway:
>tl;dr: How do you keep motivated?
>Have you been in this place? And if so, how did you get out of it?

Thank you for reading my self-pity text.
>>
>>51312398
kill yourself
>>
>>51312398
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>51312402
I don't think that I have the courage to do that
>>
>Can you fix my computer for me?
This is the path you are walking down. Become a Blackham vandal or somethings, I don't know.
>>
File: 1437685973237.jpg (52 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1437685973237.jpg
52 KB, 479x720
>>51312425
you don't need "courage"
>>
Congratulations on your clinical depression. What you're experiencing is called anhedonia. Go see psychiatry and get some SSRIs.
>>
I know the feeling. I'm almost done with my electrical engineering degee. Academics just really sucks. The real world isn't so bad. Just discover what you enjoy to do and persue that path. It gets better so just hang in there
>>
>>51312466
Do I have to answer truthfully about seeing a psychiatrist or taking meds if I get asked by HR or something ?
>>51312504
I'm not really sure about that. Finding a graduation project with a company hasn't been really successful so far.. so not really starting on a good foot
>>
>>51312398
finish your degree. spend a week in bed, and when you get bored of it, take some time to travel and read. do something different for a bit. try camping.

you might have a serious case of anhedonia, but try stepping back first and see what happens before you go to get medication.
>>
>>51312398
I'm in the same boat man. I'm currently in my final semester, but can barely find the drive to complete my capstone project. All ready have a job and everything.

Feels fucking bad man
>>
>>51312585
by that time i'll be more worried about student loans..
>>
>>51312504
It doesn't get better you just get used to it.
>>
>>51312398
Take a year off
>>
Academics get boring after a while and you just want to get out. the REAL WORLD is great if you have even a bit of cash, which you will have more than enough of. I've seen many of my peers feel the same way. It's just abnormal. You're just bored and tired of academia. Trust me, the real world is much more interesting.
>>
>>51312744
>student loans
you know that you'll be making like 65K+ starting? you're an engineer, caring about loans is stupid.
>>
I'm a lot like you. I get the same way often too;

it's not a permanent fix, but marijuana restores that wide-eyed interest in things for me. It's like when you were young, and everything was interesting.

perhaps pot isn't the substance for you, but in my experience anything that releases dopamine in large amounts gets me motivated.
>>
>>51312780
>It's NOT abnormal
fixed
>>
>>51312398
Are you me? I have been feeling very similar. What helps a lot is varying what I do by working out and hanging out with friend outdoors. The variety helps you appreciate different activities.
>>
File: 1446175242602.jpg (38 KB, 435x604) Image search: [Google]
1446175242602.jpg
38 KB, 435x604
>>51312798
Can confirm this. Smoke some weed, or, as i have taken to call it, THC/Marijuana can really open up your mind, exposing subconscious problems that you werent aware of. Tried engaging in new interests? You should try and play MTG somewhere in your city where tournaments are held (i'm sure they are), it will make you friends with people you wouldn't even imagine.
Or go see a doctor, i'm just telling what i did to shake off boredom.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.