[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1438276896732.webm (1 MB, 1042x578) Image search: [Google]
1438276896732.webm
1 MB, 1042x578
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
let's say my computer crashed

did a system restore

and then crashed during the system restore.

is the HDD salvageable?
>>
>>51311746
You should be fine because you properly backup your data,or have a duplicate of your media files.
get some version of a bootable linux distro and run ntfscheck
>>
Today I was booting my PC and it was doing some updates. When it was done and I got to the screen where I enter my user and password, it froze. Just a blue screen with windows logo below, not even a space to enter the password in. Then it started flashing black and back to the blue screen with about 1 second intervals. Forever. Nothing I can do except move the cursor. I'm a fucking artist, all my wip commissions are on my computer, if it turns up I can't retrieve that data I'm going to kill myself and/or a lot of other people.
>>
>>51311774
thanks
>>
File: co.gif (2 MB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
co.gif
2 MB, 384x384
How do I make Intellisense in Visual Studio 2015 parse .h files as C (as it does with .c files), and not C++?
>>
>>51311826
rename the .C files to .c
>>
>>51311775
Format C:\
>>
ELI5 how do i install linux (xubuntu), remove windows but keep my windows files?
fucking partitions, man. i don't get it
also, don't have an ssd or anything to back them up manually or whatever
>>
>>51311775
Then you better get to it.
>>
I have a 280x and I'm unable update the driver past Catalyst 14.4, I end up with a lot of screen flickering whenever I try to use any browser and most applications, until eventually I end up with a stripped screen or a blank screen.
It works perfectly fine on 14.4 though.
Is it possible that it's an issue with the card itself? Can a hardware issue even cause a problem like that? Actually upon close inspection, I'm hearing a clicking sound from my gpu every time the flickering happens. My card is fucked, isn't it?
>>
Why some anons have another router next to their ISP's router?
>>
>>51312024
I'm trying, chap. What would you suggest I do? F2, F7 and F10 basically just make it reboot with the same black flashes.
>>
What portable lte (sim) router should i buy? Dont want to spend 100$
Is there an option to diy it?
>>
>>51311885
Find out which partitions your data is on.
Open the diskmanager.
I have no clue how windows manages its setup since xp.
You have 2 cases.
C:\ is on its own partitions and there is a D:\ or etc that has your user files on it.Check which one is larger of your harddrive and it should be where your users files are at.
2nd case.You have everything on C:\ and you're going to need to do a manual backup of your user files and stuff you want to keep on to another medium.A 1tb external is not that expensive anymore should find one 40-60 bucks
If its the first case just dont delte that partition.
When you're using cfdisk,fdisk,parted,gparted on a boot able usb.Just dont remove that partition,you an even put a "data' Label on it so you know not to fuck it up.I would use gparted cause its a gui and its easier.
Youll have to delete the mbt.Assume using grub cause efi.Follow the arch wiki on how to partition but just dont delete your fucking user data.
Honestly i would get an exteral or a buddies and have a backup incase you fuck something up somewhere.
That way you can partition it without having a big chunk you cant allocate.
>>
>>51312053
Revert your drivers back a level and check for regressions.Your card might just be EOL
>>
>>51311846
No, the problem is that it parses files with the extension .h as it would parse .cpp files. And I want it to parse .h files as it would be .c files.
>>
>>51312190
Is there not a compilation setting to change the compiler?
You might have to just cross complie
>>
>>51312170
Is that possible? I've tried 14.12, 14.11, 14.9, and 14.7 and none worked.
>>
I'm a writer and want to buy a chromebook, but I need to know one thing before I make the purchase.

Is it usable without WiFi? For example, could I set Drive to keep offline versions of all my documents, which I can edit at all times? Then sync them whenever I have WiFi access?
>>
File: Chifufu.webm (323 KB, 740x554) Image search: [Google]
Chifufu.webm
323 KB, 740x554
>>51312244
Wait, I tried 15.11 Beta and got the same issue.
But after uninstalling it, I checked Control Center it shows that the current version is still 15.11 Beta, but now it's working perfectly fine. I don't know what's going on.
>>
>>51312152
ok so, does this way work?
i take a picture of my windows drives. pop in the usb, try it without installing and take a picture of the drives there.
then during the install i match the drives there to windows C drive according to size, remove that drive and recreate it.
btw how much size should i give it? do i make it only for the linux system files? my C drive is 196 GB. about 50-100gb?
and finally my D disk (where all my stuff is) will be unaffected, correct?
>>
Should I learn C before C++?
>>
>>51312244
This is just general knowledge.If you've tried older firemware,and its not working.It might be the card.I could be worth it to take it out clean it and reseat it and try again.
>>
>>51312284
You get either wifi or 3g.There is no other way to connect.
You should be able to make changes offline,and when you connect again(home to work example) they should sync up and youll have the latest revision on the cloud
>>
>>51312424
The latter is what I'd want. But I just want to be sure before I drop the money for one.
>>
>>51312311
They should be labeled in gparted.
MBT/EFI(boot record)
C:\
D:\(or w/e thy named it IF your user files are not all on c:\)
You dont need a picture just look at the sizes of the drive.If its a 1tb drive and you have a 900ish c:\ drive then its all on one drive.
If you have c:\ around 100gb and another partition named something else some other size,its most likely your user data drive.

Do you have more then C:\ when you're in windows explorer? Post a screenshot
>>
>>51312099
use a linux livecd and an external hard drive to back up your files, then reinstall windows.
>>
>>51312093
Keeps your private network away from your ISP
>>
>>51312550
How's that? Through VLANs?
>>
File: Capture.png (67 KB, 688x615) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
67 KB, 688x615
>>51312448
do i delete c drive in linux install and recreate it from the free space? how much space do i give it? or do i make 2 separate drives, one for linux system files and the other for everything else.
meanwhile my D drive stays the same, right?
>>
Is anyone else having a problem with PCI-E power state management on a Dell laptop? I keep getting
_OSC failed (AE_ERROR); disabling ASPM
in dmesg, a few minutes of googling tells me my BIOS implementation of active state power management doesn't work, but I know it works on Windows (or at least, Windows says it does).
>>
If I have an encrypted partition/drive, would it loose the encryption if I format it?
>>
>>51312562
What files/folders are there when you open up your D:\ drive?
Don't delete anything yet but if its what i think it is you would keep the system restore(1st one) and delte the c:\ when you're in gparted and format it to ext4. and then install linux to that partition( /dev/sdX )
You will need to setup a bootloader.I'd follow the begginers guide on the archlinux wiki for exactly how to procced from here.If D:\ is your user folder
>>
>>51312558
Because only traffic destined for the internet leaves your router to the ISPs router.
>>
>>51312562
>>51312624
>how much space do i give it?
Didnt read that part.
It depends on what linux you put one.id say 80gb atleast.Then you partition the remander for a /home drive.
Looking at it,if c:\users has you date files, you should be able to move it to the d:\ drive anyway with that much space left
>>
>>51312593
Have you updated your mobo firmware?
>>
>>51312636
Can you tell me how a standard configuration will look like to do that? I'm kinda interested but I'm a little dense.
>>
>>51312624
just like general documents. some install files, homework, music, tv, etc.
thanks a lot for the help, anon
>>
>>51312688
I grabbed the latest BIOS a couple weeks ago. I probably should have mentioned I'm running Fedora.
>>
ayy lads, is the current deal on western digital black hard drives a decent deal? Was thinking about getting the 3TB for $150

I haven't looked at hard drives since the prices got jacked up in 2011. Are there any better places to get one, better deals later or anything?
>>
>>51312722
Do they have beta firmware?
No specific knowledge on this
>>
>>51312740
They might have when the laptop was new, but it's almost 4 years old at this point.
>>
>>51312709
So it looks like its your data drive.
Check on your c:\Users\Name ish
I dont use windows anymore i dont know how they do their paths.
Just want to make sure you get your my documents/my music/my picture etc folders if they exist on c:\

If you do have stuff on C:\ see it will fit on D:\

If it dosent check if you really need it lol

If it does.Move it over to D:\ then you'll be able to remove c:\ completly
Then you'd boot in to linux run gparted,remove c:\.Make a new partition of about 80gb.This will be your / parition where the system files belong.With the remainder make a new parition this will be your /home parition.
Format both of them with ext4.You can put an optional label in the gparted interface till you get the hang of it.
Label the first one(80gb) Root
Name the other one(remainder) Home

Then you boot up your installation and install to those partition

You D:\ will still be there.

It will be readable and writeable from linux.Your distro you're install will need to have ntfs-3g with write support(the kernel option) for you to make full use of it
>>
Where's the xombrero config file located? I can't find it.
>>
So my desktop refused to boot one day, but works fine after I re-set both RAM sticks... once.
Whenever I re-set the RAM, it boots fine *one* time, and the refuses to boot afterwards.

Anyone know what could be wrong?
Any hints would be appreciated.
>>
Is there any chance I could play Fallout 4 with shitty settings on 32-bit Windows with 4GB of RAM?
>>
>>51312808
Check ~/.config, dotfiles, in ~/, also check /etc, /usr/share, and /usr/share/config. Also, make sure you can see hidden files.
>>
>>51312834
no
>>
>>51312834
I could be wrong, but I don't think it will run on 32-bit.
>>
>>51312808
updatedb
locate xombrero
?
>>
>>51312617
Anyone?
>>
>>51312905
Yes,you're overwriting the headers
>>
File: futa.png (983 KB, 1212x642) Image search: [Google]
futa.png
983 KB, 1212x642
I need help senpai, real plebshit right here.
What's a codec ?
How do I get one without handing any info ?
>>
>>51311659
i can't fucking stop watching this webm

hahaha omg
>>
File: 2015-11-12_00001.jpg (339 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-12_00001.jpg
339 KB, 1920x1080
If the maximum value of an integer is 2,147,483,647 then how do I have all this dosh????
>>
>>51312918
Ok then, thanks.
>>
>>51313027
By changing the name of the number being displayed

>thousand
>million
>billion
>trillion
and so on
>>
>>51312693
All he's saying is that instead of having a network of devices hooked up to your ISP router you have a single link to your ISP router from your home network router. As far as the ISP knows the home router might be the only device on the network
>>
>>51313027
The maximum value of a signed 32-bit integer is 2,147,483,647. You can use more bits and store bigger numbers.

Or this: >>51313064
>>
>>51312918
One more question. If I reinstall the OS, would I be able to mount the partition? Or do I need to format the drive first and then encrypt it again under the new OS?
>>
File: 1431352542653.jpg (10 KB, 147x96) Image search: [Google]
1431352542653.jpg
10 KB, 147x96
Hello, here is my question.

I recently started using Mint 17.2 on my work laptop. It logs into my Wi-Fi at home just fine, but when I tried taking it to my college campus and using their WPA2-Enterprise protected network, I ran into issues.

I looked up the guide to input the correct settings in the "Connect to a Hidden Network" tab (since merely clicking on RIU, the SSID of the network, would not actually do anything), inputted my username and password, and tried connecting.

I got stuck in a loop of authentication windows. I'd input my password, it'd buffer for a few seconds, then it would ask me again for my password. I know for a fact my user info is correct since I checked it on a machine right next to me. So I googled this to see if I found anything, and I found people recommending others to delete the line

system-ca-cert=true

from the config file in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/, but it did not appear in my case to begin with.

Instead, here is my config file for the RIU network.

[ipv6]
method=auto

[connection]
id=RIU
uuid=(REMOVED)
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-eap
auth-alg=open

[802-11-wireless]
ssid=RIU
mode=infrastructure
mac-address=(REMOVED)
security=802-11-wireless-security

[802-1x]
eap=peap;
identity=(MyUsername)
ca-cert=/etc/ssl/certs/Thawte_Premium_Server_CA.pem
phase1-peapver=0
phase2-auth=mschapv2
password=(MyPassword)

[ipv4]
method=auto

TL;DR: How do you get Linux to accept my username and password succesfully for a WiFi network and not have it loop authentications forever? I also tried inputting wrong usernames and passwords and it didn't even say anything to me, just more hellish loops.
>>
what's the best site for 3d printable files? the sorting system on thingiverse is garbage
>>
So, I have a JS project that is organized following MVC, using RequireJS to do so. RequireJS loads a main controller that loads everything else from there.

Everything's working fine, but now I need to add an AngularJS module to it. I have barely worked with Angular yet, and only in small stuff from scratch, never used it in a project. How do I go about loading it with RequireJS? I've no fucking idea how to do that, google isn't helping. Anyone?
>>
I'm building my first computer. Which of these motherboards should I get? I don't understand the differences between some of the specs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=-1%7C13-130-776%5E13-130-776%2C13-130-770%5E13-130-770
>>
>>51312649
i can't imagine what one would need to do to get / without /home to get that big

my 3 year old desktop install with several large games, plus a large emby metadata store is 'only' 36G, this is a massive root
% sudo du -shx /
36G /

emby metadata takes up 5.1G of that, 6G in cached packages, 11.4G for borderlands: the pre-sequel...

most sensible roots shouldn't need more than a 16G partition
>>
>>51313275
>inb4 webshit
I fucking hate it too, but have to do it for a project. I wouldn't do this shit if I absolutely didn't have to.
>>
Is there any difference between using 2x2GB RAM and using 1x4GB? The single 4GB seems more future proof (easier to expand into 8GB total), but anything else I should keep in mind?
>>
What exactly are structures in C++? As far as I can tell they're just less versatile classes.
>>
>>51313283
First of all. The cheaper one is out of stock.

>>51313342
What is dual channel?
>>
>>51313342
Using 2x2 would allow you to utilize dual channel, but the real world difference you'd notice is minimal
>>
>>51313376
I know, I could always actually buy it elsewhere, I'm just wondering about the specs.
>>
>>51313342
the ease of upgrading usually outweighs any benefits of dual channel
>>
>>51313395
Practically, they are the same, one is branded as "gaymen" so that's why is more expensive.

What cpu are you going to buy?
>>
>>51313410
>>51313388
>>51313376
Thanks!
Would it be possible to use 2 x 2GB and 1 x 4GB for a total of 8GB? My mobo supports it (has 4 RAM slots), if I'm reading this correctly:
> Supports a maximum memory size up to 8GB.
> 4 DDRII DIMMs (240pin / 1.8V)
> Supports Dual DDR II 533/667/800/1066
>>
I plan to install linux mint on my PC, will i be able to read stuff from my windows partition?
>>
>>51313452
>Would it be possible to use 2 x 2GB and 1 x 4GB for a total of 8GB?
yes
>>
>>51313464
Neat! Just plug 'em in and use them like that? Nothing special to keep in mind, like their order or whatever?
>>
Are there any alternatives to xcode for programming iOS apps? I'm on windows and running OS X in virtualbox is pretty slow
>>
>>51313479
No, any combination of RAM that your motherboard supports should work, but keep in mind they will all run at the lowest common speed.
>>
>>51313479
yea, plug and play

you used to have to pair things up, a long time ago, but for the last ~15 years or so you can just put whatever is compatible in any slot and it'll just werk
>>
>>51313501
>>51313513
Cool, good to know. Thanks a bunch!
>>
How good is the i5-4460 IGPU? I went over my budget and cant get a GPU now.

Does it support VGA?
>>
>>51313459
>Dual booting
Please don't fall for this meme.

If you just want to test out Linux Mint, set up a virtual machine. Dual booting is incredibly clunky and time wasteful if you really just want to give Linux a go.

Try it on a VM and if you love it, then switch completely. If you just use a few things from Linux, then have it as a VM-only thing.
>>
File: asdasdasd.png (160 KB, 1102x518) Image search: [Google]
asdasdasd.png
160 KB, 1102x518
>>51311659
I'm looking to buy a 144hz monitor for fps and general gaming. I have 3 options right now

>Asus VG248QE

>BenqXL2411Z

>Asus VX238H

The first 2 seem both pretty good, the asus one costs 80€ more so I'm gonna guess it has some more features or is better quality. The last one is instead almost half their price, but didnt find much info on it online.
Also, which is the preferable choice: d-link dvi or display port?
>>
>>51313551
I only want it for temporal security.
(Buying stuff trough internet because im paranoid to use cracked windows for it).

And since i plan to buy a lot trough internet from now on i will keep it.
>>
>>51313444
A number of people here insist I should get an i7 of some sort, but comparing reviews and performance benchmarks shows the i5 4690K isn't that much worse, and for significantly less dosh, along with more consistently good reviews, with fewer of them due to overheating.
>>
>>51313566
I have the vg248qe. Really like it. The Benq has the same panel in it, pay the extra 8 bucks if it has features you want. I dunno bout that cheap one.
>>
>>51313566
The first and second both have a horrible screen

The last one is too small for any practical use

These are really horrible options. Any of them will leave you disappointed
>>
>>51313606
If you're doing work that involves a lot of rendering or video encoding the i7 might be worth it, but for most stuff you won't see much of a difference.
>>
>>51313654
how about you give some suggestions mr cranzypants?

>>51313642
it's actually 80, but if it keeps this discount, I'll get this. Maybe in the holidays it will go down a bit more.
>>
>>51311659

I am not looking to start some GPU argument or necessarily get the absolute best.

I currently have a Radeon 6850 in my PC. It works fine for everything I need it for.

Would it be worthwhile to get a second and run it in crossfire mode?

They seem to be $50 or less on the secondary market.

Also semi related second question, do the cards have to be the same card to run in crossfire mode or could I get a different better card to crossfire with my current card.
>>
>>51313656
That's what my non-4chan people have said, it's basically going to be a gaming, porn and pirating machine, maybe some streaming ala Hulu.
>>
How do I set up a vpn on my phone (android)
>>
>>51313692
I believe different cards will work.
>>
>>51313606
>I should get an i7
Do you really need the power of the i7? If you're going to use it just for gaymen stuff just get the 4430
>>
>>51313682
>how about you give some suggestions mr cranzypants?
Anything I suggest is outside of your budget. TN panels with matted screens have god awful colors. Take it from somebody who went from IPS to TN just to experience 4k

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009742

If I can give you any advice it would be to rethink what you need before what you want. After 30 minutes of gaming/watching videos 144Hz is unoticable because you're too focused on the content on your screen.
>>
>>51313096

Not that anon, but if you do this, would the IP subnet inside the home router be different than the one between your ISP router and the home router? Would you put the hone router in the DMZ on the ISP router or just forward ports as needed off the ISP router and open them on the Home router.
>>
>>51313566
You'll notice 1440p more than 144hz. Don't get any of those.
>>
>>51311659
where the fuck is dwight
>>
>>51313735
That's what I'm saying, I don't think I do. Additionally, which of these two mobos are better: http://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProductcompare.aspx%3FCompareItemList%3D-1%257C13-130-776%255E13-130-776%252C13-130-770%255E13-130-770
>>
>>51313735
Depending on the games you're running you can still see a nice boost in performance using the 4690k, and the price difference is much less than the one between the 4690k and the 4790k.
>>
>>51313693
then stay on the i5, the people that told you to get the i7 were either trolling you or stupid. the 4690k is all you need
>>51313741
I would use it for competitive gaming and normal gaming, IPS do have much better color reproduction but I dont need it, and they cost a fuckton more and they are slower unless you spend even more.
Considering I'm sporting a shitty 60hz tv at the moment any one of those would be an upgrade picture-quality wise. Also I saw some reviews and they said the colors in the first 2 werent bad as usual TNs
You sound like you have more of a focused interest on color and picture quality, I dont have that eye.
>>51313775
I thought about that, but
-1440p@120 costs almost twice as much as 1080@144
-I dont know if my 270 would be able to push 60fps on demanding games at 1440p
-If I'm gonna upgrade I'd prefer to upgrade to 4K in 3-4 years. I know that there is a difference, but it's not so big to warrant an intermediate step before 4k
>>
>>51313762
You can use most home routers as an l2 switch and just use the subnet of the ISP router, but then you wouldn't be doing anything, because all the devices on the network would just be using the ISP router as gateway per usual
>>
Can someone tell me what programs I'll need to open the .sql files I downloaded from the archive.moe dump? I want to find some pictures that were posted on /co/ before June.
>>
>>51313844
Again, they are the same, the expensive one is more expensive because is branded as gaming. Although if you can afford that one, then get, if you want to save some money, get the cheaper one, you would not see any difference aside from aesthetics.
>>
What's the best virtual optical drive maker for Windows?
>>
>>51314073
>Microsoft
>iodd (mostly rebranded as Zalman)
>>
>>51314047

I don't know if its the most efficient way but if you set up a LAMP or WAMP stack web server with phpmyadmin, you could import the SQL into mySQL then browse around it using phpmyadmin.
>>
So the internet I have is so shitty that my phone is literally better for downloading games but I have unlimited data on my phone but I used all the tethering how do i bypass this VPN did not work
>>
>>51313366
>less versatile
What do you mean? Structures can generally do all the same things.
>>
I have 5y old prebuilt, I'm looking for a cheap GPU upgrade to the 5770 in it. I don't wanna spend real money because obviously this is not a real rig and I mostly play indie shit. Is it worth it to buy something in the <$100 price range and if so, what?
>>
>>51313110
I know its late but lol.
If you dont change anything with the encrypted partition yes.It makes no difference where it was encrypted,as long as you dont touch the partition youll be able to open it up on any distro
(assumings its luks?)
>>
>>51313285
thats a conservative number.He dosent seem to know much about partitioning and extending etc would be complicating more so.
Dont know which distro hes using.Ubuntu is what like 40gb base install?
>>
File: example.png (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
example.png
16 KB, 500x500
Can someone explain how or what router I should get to set my home network up like this?
>>
Does it make a difference what router you have if you're just using Ethernet?
>>
File: 1435335087021.jpg (33 KB, 493x386) Image search: [Google]
1435335087021.jpg
33 KB, 493x386
>>51311659
Don't judge me, but I lost my shit to this webm.
>>
Is it an incredibly bad idea to set my home server's ssh port to 80? My workplace blocks most ports, but apparently they don't inspect traffic, so I was able to ssh through 80. A while ago, when I had an http server running, my logs sometimes showed a lot of requests from random IP's I didn't recognize, so that would be my worry with using that port for ssh.
>>
File: 20151112_190814.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151112_190814.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
A quadcopter I bought doesn't come with a power adapter for the charger (thunder dual power ac680). The batteries are 3s 2200mah LiPo batteries. It requires 10-18v in. My laptop charger serves 19v (pic related). Will it catch fire? What about the ampere? I also have a different power adapter that's 11v, but only 1 ampere. Would it be enough?
>>
is it just me, or has firefox been slow for a while? If I try to open two or more tabs at once, it slows down loading the page. I have to have only one tab load at a time if I want it to load fast.
>>
>>51314772
Not if you set up fail2ban
>>
>>51314985
Anon, im sure you don't need someone to tell you that is a bad idea.
>>
How can I get my cat to stop going behind my computer and unplugging my headphones?
>>
>>51315256
Surround it with decoy boxes
>>
>>51315256
Spray it with lemon juice.

Spray your cat with it meanwhile you are on it, he will hate you.
>>
how well would a 680 fare at 2560*1080p in games like Battlefront and Fallout?
>>
Any decent tutorials on making watch faces for Android wear with Android studio?

The docs on the dev website are shit.
>>
>>51315122
But what about the 11v 1A? Surely that cant start burning? Wont it just take longer time to charge?
>>
I want to get a laptop in the $500 range. I need it for school and light games. I've had bad experiences with cheap laptops breaking quickly. What's some that will be last long?
>>
Can aerodynamics interfere wifi signals to a degree?
>>
>>51314181
Thank you fellow anon.
>>
How shitty is Java? The uni I want to go to teaches it for their cs course but I've heard its a currynigger code monkey shit language from /g/
>>
Why is PowerColor cheaper than its competitors when it comes to graphics cards? Im deciding between them and Gigabyte, I know Gigabyte is reputable but I don't know much about PowerColor.
>>
>>51316187
Good to learn, useful but other languages are better because fuck JVM.
>>
Hey /g/entoomen. You guys are pretty consumerist. My brother is into computers. What do you guys think is a good Christmas gift for him?
>>
>>51316314
Something computery
But really you know him better than we do, how the fuck are we supposed to guess what he'd want.
>>
Do I need to reactivate windows if I change CPU+mobo?
>>
>>51316314
vibrating buttplug
>>
>>51316314
Bumble Hooves the Unicorn
>>
>>51312368
Does not matter choose one and just practice it. I prefer C++.
>>
>>51311659
sqt time

One plus ships their devices with cyanogen os, a different version of cyanogenmod.

Do they provide the OS without gapps? Say if you want to use android but you want to avoid gapps, flashing a rom without gapps is the only choice.
>>
>>51316444
if you have OEM copy you do
>>
>>51314772
Should be fine, your slightly more prone to attempts in breaking in but probably just as much as using the standard port. Setup a filter, use ssh keys if you are that worried about intrusion.
>>
>>51315606
1 Amp

Might take a while but should be fine.

If you want to be risky plug in the laptop one :^) the quadcopter will smoke for a bit and then die.
>>
>>51316444
that's actually possible since the licence code for OEMs is stored in BIOS

you can just use some activator thingy tho if you lose your licence
>>
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 973x122) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 973x122
I'm new to torrenting and networking in general, and from what I understand, the # of seeds/peers not in parenthesis are the ones directly connected to me, while the ones IN parenthesis are not but still apart of the total torrent. Now since I am seeding some of these files, why is the "swarm" of peers not connected to me? Do they not want my goodies?
>>
What do you lads think of newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236716&cm_re=elements_desktop_external-_-22-236-716-_-Product

Does it even really matter what kind of an external hdd I buy?
>>
>>51316923
Please respond.
>>
>>51316580
You can but most apps are dependent on play store services
>>
File: LQxwUr3[1].png (488 KB, 1338x777) Image search: [Google]
LQxwUr3[1].png
488 KB, 1338x777
What exactly is systemd and why do people hate it so much?
>>
I got a VGA to RCA converter to put my TV on an old CRT screen.
It shows up as a black and white scrambled image.
Am I doing something wrong?
>>
Have there ever been instances where a compiler translates code to be read by another compiler? Most,if not all, compilers go from source to machine code. are there any instances of one language, to another and possible repeated until it finally reaches a compiler which translates to machine code?

Fuck I'm really high.
>>
>>51311775

daily reminder to backup all your important data

:^)

if you don't have any full disk encryption you could just remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer and retreive the files i guess
>>
Does anyone has a way to get deeper into cyber security?

Everything from book to irc rooms
>>
>>51317648
To stop using the word "cyber" would be a good start
>>
Is there a best buy, target or what have you that sells RAM? I really don't want to order online, would rather just go in and pick it up
>>
>>51317885
I'll report you to the cyber police for that.
>>
My windows phone has been saving all the pictures I've already deleted. I found this out by using a third party software to transfer the files to my computer and all the deleted ones are there. This is highly concerning for me. I HAVE PICTURES OF MY BUTT ON THERE!!! pls help
>>
Can someone give me a practical example of a scenario where I would not want to use
apt dist-upgrade
and use
apt upgrade
instead?
>>
>>51318026
My mother's tablet does this too somehow, I haven't inspected it, but it's pretty weird.
>>
>>51318071
You've gotta find a way to fix it or the whole world might see my and your mothers butt pictures!
>>
Any good security oriented web browsers? Been using Firefox, but having some issues loading the catalog and large threads so I'm up for trying something new.
>>
>>51318106
What the hell is it with the whole sharing thing these days anyway? I recently noticed that I could change the TV's screen to that of my phone's screen with only one touch. Fucking unnerving, what if I have a picture of my butt on my phone screen and I accidentally tap the share button while my family is watching TV?
>>
>>51318026
>I HAVE PICTURES OF MY BUTT ON THERE!!! pls help
Can you send them to me? I might be able to look into the problem if I know what it looks like.
>>
>>51318166
Hope you don't mind harry man but anon.

post email address.
>>
>>51317354
systemd is a suite of programs to start up and maintain services and programs on Linux machines, aka an init daemon.
It gets a lot of hate for a few reasons. Some of the bad reasons are:
1) It's change
2) It's not what I like
3) It doesn't follow a nebulous philosophy that some people are diehard subscribers for.
4) I don't like the people behind it.

Some of the good reasons:
1) It has a habit of swallowing up more that just init-related tasks, such as NTP and DHCP
2) It's introduced a *lot* of change that needs to be tracked and learned
3) Lot's of 3rd party programs are increasingly dependent on it, removing choice of init daemons for users of those applications

Ultimately, I personally like it - it has simplified how I maintain and manage my services, and I don't need to write screeds and screeds of bash script to do so like I did before with SysV init. I could talk more about the upsides you get in this tradeoff, but you asked specifically why people *don't* like it.
Everyone however is entitled to their own opinion, and for the moment at least it's not too hard to not-use-it and add your preferred init.

However, looking to the future, systemd has dominated the init arena and people would be wise to learn it, whether they like it or not, for when they have to work on someone else's devices (say, at work, rather than your own personal machine).

Ultimately, it's important for you to do your own research and understand all the pros and cons of each system before you pick sides, and remember that while learning your fave is fine, learning them all is the best, much like emacs vs. vi etc.
>>
>>51311659
So I'm an idiot and put a 6600K in an Gigabyte H170 chipset.
For those of you unfamiliar, H170 is not overclock capable- hence why I'm an massive fucking idiot.
However, upon rooting about in the BIOS, I discovered I could modify the CPU multiplier. I'm able to turn the core multiplier upto 39 (from 35) in my BIOS which is giving me a displayed speed of 3900Mhz with a multiplier of 39 across all cores in CPU-Z as to be expected and I've turned the voltage up just a smidge to 1.220v. (which is actually probably unnecessary and I might revert). Now the base clock is listed at 3.5Ghz and turbo at 3.9Ghz. All temps are fine and through the limited benchmarking I've done and a few 'real world' (video game) tests everything seems stable.

So basically the stupid question is this: How am I able to do this? Why can I only do it so far? Am I just telling the board to 'turbo' all the cores or something? What am I actually doing here? [spoiler]Am I fucking everything up?[/spoiler]

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>51317992
Actually follow up question on this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-4gb-ddr3-sdram-memory-module/3779273.p?id=1218431615147&skuId=3779273

So if I buy this and put it on my laptop that only has 2 gb of ram it will be a direct upgrade to 4gb of ram right? All I need is a screwdriver, this and proper installation right?
>>
I was looking to invest in a new laptop, but now I'm leaning towards either an ipad '128gb + pencil' pro OR surface book 4 '256gb + i5 8gbRAM'
and then just upgrade my desktop, removing the need for a laptop

which do I go for, apple or microsoft?
what factors are important to consider?
which do I get?
>>
i want to restore my lumshit device because the store isn't working,i've got over 300 contacts that can't fit into the sim card,is there something that i can do to make this whole ordeal easier?
>>
>>51318370
>Now the base clock is listed at 3.5Ghz and turbo at 3.9Ghz
Sorry, to be clear the clock is displaying 3.9Ghz in CPU-Z. I wrote that horribly. pretend I wrote:
>The stock speed is listed at 3.5 Ghz and the turbo is listed at 3.9 on the 6600k
>>
File: 1446856572351.png (1 MB, 1200x678) Image search: [Google]
1446856572351.png
1 MB, 1200x678
What's the fastest way to transfer about 1TB directly from a QNAP to a Synology? Connecting to both devices and doing a copy paste is far too slow to be worth it.
>>
Can someone be too slow to be a programmer? Are there some companies that accept slow programmers? Otherwise I was thinking of going into QA...
>>
>>51318557
What do you mean slow?
>>
>>51318557
How slow exactly? And slow in what way? Do you type slow? Do you consider your problems for too long before a solution comes about?
>>
>>51318557
Here's my other post on the topic:
>>51318625
>>
>>51318370
Instead of using turbo (running at 3.5v and u[pping to 3.9 when necessary) you're always running at 3.9Ghz. It's not overclocking it's just fixed at max speed.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-13+at+01.51.52).png (4 KB, 129x66) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-13+at+01.51.52).png
4 KB, 129x66
What's wrong here ?
>>
I just got my own chinkpad after constantly borrowing a friend's macbook for a few weeks.

What's so bad about a non-mac's touchpad? I think it's alright.
>>
I have downloaded a book PDF for my class, but I only need certain pages, how can I delete the rest and only export the ones I need
>>
>>51318611
Slow as in not lightning fast, takes a few hours to fix a problem instead of doing it in an hour like my fucking boss expects

>>51318618
I am slow to fix things on a daily basis. I zone out most of the time because the work is so dull.

>>51318704
Hm
>>
>>51318801
Non-mac touchpads are available in many levels of quality. Chinkpads like yours are good quality machines with good quality touch pads. Lower-end Acer laptops have unbearable touch pads. All Apple touchpads are meant to be very high quality. I don't like macs myself, but I have to admit their touch pads are consistently good.
>>
>>51318844
>I am slow to fix things on a daily basis. I zone out most of the time because the work is so dull.

If this is honestly your issue, it will be a problem in most white collar jobs. Most jobs that pay are boring. I am slow to fix things on a daily basis too. Software problems are hard to solve. How do you know you're slow as opposed to dealing with problems that would natively take a long time to solve? Has your employer told you that you're slow? Non-technical people can easily underestimate how hard it is to solve software problems.
>>
>>51318742
Ok thanks, I seem to be getting slightly better performance.
Now I'm off to research swapping motherboards.
>>
/g/ posted some machine learning image resizer a while back that did a better job than just stretching an existing image. I can't remember its name. Help?
>>
what _could_ go wrong?
>>
>>51318912
The work generally involves fixing bugs or adding some pithy new features like allowing the user to edit some data. Not really that complicated but I do take a lot longer than other employees. This is web development btw. The senior developer says I'm slow, as does the boss and the analysts, they're probably going to fire me over it too. Bah.
>>
>>51319003
I guess the first things I would examine is your health. Are you well rested before work or do you sleep late and show up feeling like a zombie?
>>
You guys argue about nvidia and AMD but I don't see Intel vs Amd discussed much. Is there a unanimous opinion on this?
>>
my case has the headphone jack in an awkward spot, and it got bumped while something was plugged in. now, it only recognizes headphones (say) when the plug is pushed to the side. is there any way to fix the jack?
>>
>>51319034
Um... yes actually I don't sleep enough. I do feel like that pretty much every day.
>>
File: 1445777606289.jpg (649 KB, 1695x2400) Image search: [Google]
1445777606289.jpg
649 KB, 1695x2400
So is there actually any problem going with an AMD cpu and nvidia gpu?

I want to upgrade my 270x to a 980.
>>
>>51319062
Probably have permanent brain damage too by now haha
>>
>>51319003
You mentioned qa, you UK based? Whoever hired you would probably hire me
>>
>>51319045
Yes, the easiest of which is to simply replace it with one from radioshack. A stereo headphone jack is only 3 wires, so this is actually easier than it sounds to do, assuming you have a desktop.
Essentially, open the case, unmount the jack, unsolder the wires with a $15 RS soldering iron, then solder the new one back on and remount.
>>
>>51319062
Fix your sleep habits. Seriously, sleep problems will cripple you to the point of unemployability. Your job in software requires actual wakefulness.
>>
File: 1446930471975.png (162 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
1446930471975.png
162 KB, 400x302
>>51318779
nvm fixed it
its because of gdipp that i installed afew weeks ago because /g/ told me it makes text look better on windows
last time i take a suggestion from here.
>>
>>51319100
fuuuck alright. how hard is it to fuck up the soldering? not sure I trust myself with that.
can I generally expect that I will be able to unmount the jack? I can't remember exactly but my case seems pretty crowded in that area
>>
what's a good virtual drive program. I'm currently using daemon tools lite but im assuming there is something better out there
>>
>>51319072
Yeah
You're better off with a i3 4130 and a 950 than anything AMD has to offer because of AMD drivers overhead.
>>
File: 1429268026176.jpg (127 KB, 441x600) Image search: [Google]
1429268026176.jpg
127 KB, 441x600
>>51319003
Drink coffee. Done.
I'm a sluggish my-pace kinda guy too, but I can get my shit done with enough caffeine in me. Don't lose your job man.
>>
>>51317610
Yes. Though I do not think the word compiler applies to it. The biggest example I can think of is haxe.
>>
Im getting a new desktop soon. Is busting 600€ for a 980ti worth? I heard there were upcoming tech developments about to make some stuff obsolete but i sensed the stuff of memes so I didn't buy the story.
>>
>>51319136
It's not that bad, I promise. If you want, buy a few jacks, they cost only a few cents a pop. If you screw up, no problem.
You're almost certainly right that it's going to be crowded, but even still, all it means is some creative hand word to move other shit out the way, or worst case, unplugging those other bits from the mobo and move them out of the way, possibly unmounting them.
For someone with experience this is probably a 10 min job, but don't worry if it takes 90 mins for you to do right - it's not a race and as long as you take your time and are diligent in your work, you'll be fine.
Also, welcome to the /diy/ masterrace. If you can't service it, you don't own it.
>>
>>51318371
Make sure its the same speed and ddr type and you be good to go. Some laptops have easy to reach memory modules like one screwed panel on the underside. Sometimes you will have to open the laptop itself to find the ram wedged under the keyboard faceplate. Try not to open your laptop hastily if its under the keyboard faceplate as you can rip the ribbon cable. Look up a youtube video on how to open your laptop.
>>
>>51318835
thanks for nothing /g/, used a program called pdfsam
>>
Best budget laptop for xubuntu (school/webdesigner)? I was going to buy a chromebook but after reading the chromebook thread and seeing it only has like 12 gbs I changed my mind.
>>
>>51319181
everything is always on the verge of becoming obsolete, before you buy it a better option is perpetually a few months away, after you buy it, something better comes out the next day, that's just how it is
>>
How many worthwhile vidyas are published each week? If I have org-mode tell me to finish one a week, will that be enough? Or too much? I have a large backlog but I mostly like to play sandbox games.
>>
Full retard question here, is there any external CD drives that have any extras like an sd card reader? I feel like I know what they are called but I'm drawing a blank
>>
>>51319275
T420, you can get it around $180
>>
>>51319306
I've never heard of any such thing and Google and duckduckgo are giving me no meaningful results. If they do exist, they probably are poorly supported and are made by unreliable small brands.
>>
File: done and done.jpg (482 KB, 1720x1236) Image search: [Google]
done and done.jpg
482 KB, 1720x1236
>>51319379
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks for humoring me, though.
>>
>>51319306
not that Iknow of, there are however external docing stations for hdds that also have card readers
>>
Mostly only gays appreciate ThinkPad aesthetics?
>>
>>51311659
Why is this funny?
>>
>>51319308
>51319308
Holy fuck, they are cheaper than chromebooks and better.
>>
File: grey_level.jpg (27 KB, 464x296) Image search: [Google]
grey_level.jpg
27 KB, 464x296
Please Please Please enlighten me.

When I look at the speaker volume levels display on my Windows computer while music is playing it shows the actually volume level in green, and then in the background is the "output" greyed out level, which is usually a lot hotter than the actual volume. WTF is that shit and how can I adjust it?!?! I'm trying to record some radio shows from one laptop to another and they sound like shit because apparently this greyed out "output" level is all fucked. I've searched hi and low for information about this and haven't found much of anything. Maybe this is just because I don't know the proper name, but fuck Windows. Please share some knowledge with me on this subject anon.
>>
If i right click on a .webm and save it like a picture , it change it to a .jpg and even if i rename it to a .mp4 or .webm , nothing works , the file size seems wrong , vlc wont play it.
Im under cm12 using chrom browser

Tl:dr : how to save .webm on /b/
>>
>>51319512
>I'm trying to record some radio shows from one laptop to another
You're not trying to use the microphone from one laptop to record the sound from the other are you
>>
>>51319512
you are going audio out to audio in right? also check your notification area, I suspect you've got some other audio control program running
>>
when people say that a software is open source and therefore safe/not malicious, who the fuck actually looks through all that code to determine that?
>>
>>51311659
I have been having issues with windows installs since I built my machine, and now it won't boot into windows, just a BSOD. Sometimes the bsod will even have letters missing from the error message. I have run tests on my hard drive and ram in the past without detecting issues, but I remember I did get an error through windows once. Any ideas as to what could be the bad part?
>>
>>51319619
in theory, anyone who wants to
in actuality, no one, mainly because most devs can't comment to save their life
>>
>>51319512
The greyed output is merely what the volume *would* be if the slider was set to 100%. The only way it really matters is if it's striking the top of the bar, or the green is striking the top of the slider, in which case, it's clipping.

The green and gray bars show the same info, just essentially on different scales, and the grey one just comes into it's own if you want to compare the pre-mixed sound streams.
>>
>>51319641
did you pirate windows? could be you just got a bum copy, try running a live linux, if it does that shit in linux it'll tell you what's wrong. alternately if you can get into windows at all, look at the log viewer and see if it says what went wrong
>>
>>51319664
No, I bought windows 10 directly from Microshaft. I cant even format my drive though, i can only get into BIOS sometimes.
>>
Welp, I planned on updating my display driver, so I used the Display Driver Uninstaller so I could do a clean install. It asked me to boot in safe mode and after doing so I ended up with a black screen, when moving the mouse the cursor would pop up along with the words 'safe mode' in the four corners of the screen and would disappear after the mouse stopped moving. No keys worked and the only way to exist is to restart my PC. Apparently the DDU set it so that my PC would always start in safe mode so I can't do anything, even when using integrated graphics and a vga cable it happens. There's also no previous point from which I can restore my system.
How fucked am I?
>>
>>51319684
Try resetting BIOS or unplugging and replugging
>>
in python while doint import random and using the randint module it gives me an error. why?

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'randint'
>>
>>51319680
>can only get into bios sometimes
sounds like a mobo issue to me, try resetting bios and see if that helps
>>
>>51319713
Can you post your actual code? use the [ code ] and [ /code ] tags, without spaces.
>>
>>51319716
Well the other times, it just gives me a black screen with no output on screen. Does the same with integrated graphics. I have gotten errors for RAM, SSD or HDD, and video card/ network card drivers in the past, could it actually just be the motherboard?
>>
>>51319551
no line out to line in
>>
>>51319716
resetting BIOS hasnt worked either, unless you meant by removing battery.
>>
>>51319737
intentos = 10
import random
while intentos:
n = random.randint(2, 12)
if n == 7:
print("you won (quedaban {} intentos)".format(intentos))
break
intentos -= 1
else:
print("you lost")
>>
>>51319642
so open source doesnt really mean shit unless someone takes the time to go digging for malicious code
>>
>>51319642
Not the guy that was asking, but is it difficult to hide malicious code?
>>
>>51319755
Works fine here. Double check your python distribution isn't totally fucked.
>>
>>51319776
ty
>>
>>51319578
I think you are right. Thanks.
>>
what a good, affordable portable charger?
Im not gonna use it for a mount everest trip or whatever, just to charge during my bus rides and at home away from my desk

are the xiaomi ones reliable?
>>
>>51319738
yeah my bet would be the mobo, do you have another box you can test parts on and see if they throw errors during use?
>>
>>51318948
Id like to update this.

What could go wrong? well everything went wrong

basically i had to powerwash chromeOS and now i cant do any fun linux stuff on either crouton or chromeOS anymore

cant even fucking install screenfetch because all the directories were removed and sudo no longer has any privileges

>:l
>>
How is Asus with monitors on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? No price change? Small discount? Cahrazyee prices? i have a choice of 3-4 monitors and what I get really depends on how the prices change. Right now I'm really hopping for a at least a 15% discount on the PB278Q 27". Am I too optimistic?
>>
>>51319886
nah b. Going to have to hope a friend has one or just wing it with a quick refund and hope for the best
>>
>>51319860
I own a xiaomi 10400mah and i love it.
Charge my cell 2-3 times.
As fast as a home power outlet
Smallest 10400mah on the market.
Make sure to buy the 5.1v for an ipad.
Good looking and good quality build.
Bough mine on banggood.
>>
>>51319912
You did have a disk backup before you did this, right?
If not, you've no-one to blame but yourself.
>>
>>51319663
So if the grey is reaching the top that means that the audio is clipping, even though the green level isn't?
>>
File: 1445807475906.gif (2 MB, 400x326) Image search: [Google]
1445807475906.gif
2 MB, 400x326
I'm doing an rsync with ssh from a QNAP to a Synology, running rsync from the receiver end. It's only going at 18MBps. Is this normal? Both NASs are connected to a gigabit switch.
>>
>>51319938
its chromeOS, i didnt expect shit to hit the fan so hard i'd need to wipe it, and even in the scenario that i did have to wipe it, i did not think that crouton was responsible for the extensions to my ability to use chromeOS
>>
>>51319912
intel cpu? never fear, just install straight linux
>>
>>51319709
Tried unplugging and replugging, to no avail.
It's pretty fuuny how win8.1 has a start in safe mode feature but no troubleshoot option that lets you start in normal mode. I should've stuck with ein7
>>
>>51319951
If the grey reaches the top of the bar, the green will also reach the slider, and they both mean the same thing: You're clipping and will get distorted output.
>>51319965
Well, now you know.
>>
>>51319968
i might do that, but all i really want to do is have screenfetch work on chromeOS

and to do that i need crouton, which i dont want to do anything with ever again
>>
>>51319935
how long did it take to ship?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.