[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen some people do this before. I want to do it as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: master_race.jpg (46 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
master_race.jpg
46 KB, 800x450
I've seen some people do this before. I want to do it as well. Well I have an old Toshiba Satellite series laptop, 1.7ghz something like a Celeron M, and 1gb of ram, it's slow. It was running Vista switched that out for Lubuntu and its actually usable now. I wanna remove the HDD, since all that does is add heat and consume more power, same with the screen. How can I do this? Without breaking the machine. Also, what can I do with it? Teamspeak Server... Idk desu senpai... What would be a good OS, to do such thing.
>>
>>51311370
>desu senpai
???????????!?!!!!!?!?!??????????
>>
>>51312589
hello newfag

also bump, I'm also interested in this
>>
me too
>>
>>51311370
Gnetoo would be a great OS.
>>
maybe im missing something...
but if you remove HD how would it work?
>>
>>51311370
>I want to do this as well.
All you need to do is take apart the laptop, remove the metal hinge system from the bottom of the laptop and disconnect the ribbon cable that the monitor is connected to from the motherboard on the laptop.
>I wannna remove the HDD
Just disconnect it while you have the laptop open. You will need to connect some sort of storage device that has an operating system so you can boot into it, but you can do that via USB if you really want to.
>>
>>51312884
will it freak out and refuse to boot if the screen is not connected?
>>
>>51312910
No
>>
>>51312910
Nope
>>
>>51312629
Yep its a great way to re-use shitty or old laptop.
>>
>>51312884
Isn't the antenna on the screen though?
>>
>>51312815
Honestly I'm not gonna call you out on that. It could be
>>
>>51312858
It could run off of a USB, which is better because they are cheap, easy to replace, cool, and don't consume much battery. Hard Drives are like the opposite, of that.
Im thinking of getting a hub, and doing a USB raid.
>>
>>51311370
1. google [make] [model] disassembly
2. follow instructions until you remove display. Yes there are wifi antenae in the lid but why care if its going to become stationary right? Cable is less volatile anyway.
3. Put SSD in it. 70% of that old PC slowness comes from HDD skipping dead sectors, being slow 5400rpm and all around shit.
4. Install some distro with Xfce or MATE maybe or w/e
5. Enjoy.
>>
>>51314627
Lel usb 2.0 hub, kekd so much. An hdd would be faster at that point.
>>
>>51314737
Also put something under the back side so the laptop slopes a little like a keyboard would. I hotglued some rubber feet meant for PC case there and its godly.
>>
>>51314737
Thanks m8. Thing is an ssd is like 50 bucks, you might as well buy a linux desktop on Ebay for like 60 bucks.
>>
>>51314797
Damn nice idea dude, ill make sure do that on mines. What did you use?
>>
>>51314776
It would be faster....... Even though USB 2.0 isnt fast, but in raid with 4 USB drives it should be faster, plus my laptop might have USB 3.0 im not sure.
>>
>>51315299
>old
>usb 3.0
at least you try. You can always just disable the screen and use a keyboard while the laptop is closed.
>>
>>51315299
A good 7200rpm hdd will be able to achieve speeds of up to 80mb/s, usb 2.0 is limited to 60mb/s. Putting them in Raid won't do shit, if they are connected to the same hub and the whole hub uses one usb 2.0 port on the laptop, it will suck ass. Putting 4 usbs in 4 ports and raiding them might be faster, but I'm not really sure how that'd work. Usb 2.0 hubs are literally fucking shit.
>>
>>51315747
Ok, but this laptop has a shitty 5400rpm
>>
>>51316531
Ok, but a 500gb 7200rpm 2,5" hdd is possibly cheaper than 4 usb sticks with less storage combined.
>>
>>51316891
At this point im looking for the most efficient thing, Ima load my OS off of the RAM
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.