[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here the owner of this monstrosity? Did you regret your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13
File: blackberry-passport1.jpg (169 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
blackberry-passport1.jpg
169 KB, 970x546
Anyone here the owner of this monstrosity? Did you regret your purchase?
>>
>>51308965
Nobody in their right mind bought it on /g/.
This thing was shilled like most of the suff here.
I hope you didn't contribute to those threads, or else you are a little newfag, m8.
>>
>>51309093
i'm a die hard blackberry user/fan and am thinking about picking one up because the price has just dropped.
but im trying to weigh up whether having all that screen is worth the impracticality of it
>>
>>51308965
can't even get youtube app on there
>>
File: Untitled_0.png (63 KB, 233x163) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_0.png
63 KB, 233x163
>>51308965
Why would anyone use such brick?
I mean in2000 it would be great competitor against Nokia but now?
>>
>>51309178
yes you can
>>
>>51309165
Ok, seems like you really like it. Well, just think about what you use it for and how mobile you are. If you like having you phone in the pocket, then i doubt that it will fit. Get the q10. You don't need that much screen for im and emails on the fly.
>>
>>51308965
I'd buy it had they released a rootable Android version. I can't imagine this reaching 2 days battery on BB10.
>>
>>51308965
i bought one when it was first released and held onto it for a few months before selling it

literally the only reason i sold it was because the bb10 os simply didnt have the 2 or 3 apps that i use (or was kind of bad) - cnapchat, fb and whatever

best battery
best os features (like the hub god damn i fucking miss that)
camera was good but they need to fix the software for it so it can take better & snappier pics

the size of it didnt bother me at all tb'h

great phone and the only thing holding it back was the bb10 os'd incompatibility with everyone else
>>
>>51308965
Nope. In fact, I'm glad I did. Supporting BB and showing there is still a desire for HW keyboards and desire for android apps is likely what brought about the Priv. Getting a Priv for daily driver and I'll just use my Passport for my work phone.
>>
>>51309344
You could have sideloaded all of that crap. It was only GAPPS that shat had an issue. And even then, there was support for a large swath of them with some patched applications.
>>
>>51309287
>I'd buy it had they released a rootable Android version.
>I can't imagine this reaching 2 days battery on BB10.

It's the other way around. BB10's QNX is pretty efficient at power management. I've literally had it on for weeks at a time without charging.

You're lucky if you can get 12 hours out of even the hulking battery on android. Notice how there's no bragging or advertisements about the PRIV's battery longevity?
>>
>>51309597
Side loading sucks
There's always some sort of issue- usually performance wise- and almost always aesthetically

I remember tinder was a big problem. It ran as if I was playing fallout 4 on a pentium 2.

Snapchat was the same. Then I was so fed up that I bought the user-created unofficial version of snapchat. That was a bit better but you couldn't do the chat -loading stories was a pain - video taking wasn't optimized - shitty filters ... I mean the list goes on

I sold it a few months ago so maybe BBrY has made some progress but I think it's finished and I'm a bit of a blackberry fanboy myself desu
>>
>>51309756
>tinder
>snapchat

Are you trolling?
>>
>>51309866
>reeee normie get out!!!
Fuck off turbofaggot not everybody watches Chinese cartoons and buys 2D models because you're so pathetic
>>
>>51309889
Actual autism
>>
>>51309914
Nobody would have a problem with snapchat or tinder unless they were some pathetic weeb on r9k or a
>>
>>51309927
Are you going to finish that sentence?
>>
File: 2015-11-12-125410.jpg (33 KB, 276x378) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-12-125410.jpg
33 KB, 276x378
I have it and I love it.

By far the best phone I've ever had. I've been using smartphones since about 2004 (first Windows Mobile, then iPhone, then Android flagships).

BB10 is an amazing OS. Superb look and feel, the Hub, Active Frames, Peek and Flow, a great file manager with built-in cloud support, the keyboard, just everything.

I actually prefer using the Hub to read & answer my messages to my PC, because it's the only way to get everything in one place (E-Mail, SMS, Phone calls & voicce messages, BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook, Wechat, LinkedIn, Instagram, ...).

I think the Priv will also be great, although there are obvious limits of Android (e.g. you will never get a Whatsapp integration into the Hub).

Apps are no problem as well. The important ones (for me for example Whatsapp, Skype, Wechat) are all available and you can also run Android apps if you must (actually only Spotify in my case).

Pic related
>>
>>51310053
Don't forget you can still respond to your hub items on pc with Blackberry Blend. I don't even use office anymore.
>>
Which 4G BB phone has the best price/performance ratio? I'm looking for a new phone to replace my S4, since I want to come back to the glorious physical keyboard
>>
>>51308965
Bbos is the only embedded os that got gesture operation right
>>
>>51309927
Or a... what? What is it, normal-kun?
>>
>>51310160
You're basically choosing between q10/classic and passport. Q10 and classic have exactly the same specs, only the screen size is different (resolution is 720x720 in both cases)

So if you want price/performance, then q10 is the better choice. It's cheap as fuck.
>>
>>51310132
Blend is fukken awesome.
>>
>>51310224
/a/ you fucking melon
>>
>>51309866
Are you trolling. Those are two of the biggest apps available.
>>
i'll be getting the priv, android and BB... glorious
>>
>>51310318
After the SNAPPENING, I'm honestly surprised anyone tech savvy would still use snapchat. That and im still in disbelief people unironically use an online dating app that requires to link with your facebook account. I still see dating apps as desperate, but that might be my web 1.0 showing.

Also privacy or something
>>
>>51310242
Thank you very much. BB Classic is sold for around 370€ on italian Amazon. Is it an exaggerated price? Also I'm checking the BB Classic specs, am I wrong or can this really play Flac files?
>>
>>51309191
it's smaller than note4
>>
>>51309287
>I'd buy it had they released Android version
wait, so you want LESS battery life?
>>
>>51310520
It can play flac
>>
>>51310580
>Priv in a nutshell
>>
>>51310479
what kind of self respecting person would take nudes and send them to people? You take a dumb photo of what you see in your city or make a dumb face and boom you just started a convo with your friend(s)/mate

>tinder
>dating app
It's a swipe/fuck app and that's about as far as dating as it is. You really are a /v/irgin aren't you?
>>
>>51310583
Oh my God, what's stopping me to pull the trigger on it? Has the BB Classic a good DAC?
>>
can you get netflix working properly on their? and also chromecast app for netflix and youtube? and also facebook IM? if all yes, i'll get one tomorrow but from what I can see, the netfflix app works like shit and doesn't get the aspect ratio correct on the passport screen and the only chromecast app bit to work is for youtube.
>>
>>51310602
No, just old. Kids these days..
>>
>>51308965
But that phone looks amazing. I love physical keyboards.
Too bad it isn't around here,
>>
>>51310665
nah you're just reddit as fuck f'am
>>
>>51310648
Netflix can work without cropping. Chromecast is borked w/o google play services. Patched youtube.apks from crackberry work fine.
>>
>>51310746
More r9k, i've only been to reddit for a vg248qe calibration thread but whatev

Tinder still sounds like something that bites you in the ass 5 years from now
>>
>>51309889
>defends the usage of tinder and snapchat
You don't have to be a basementdweller to see how awful these "apps" are.
>>
>>51310754
some video i saw for the netflix app, there was crazy letterboxing
any way to get the chromecast app for netflix to work? it's a deal breaker as I use it alot on my mums dumb tv. I'm currently off work, smashed my leg up on a motorbike accident, so have to stay here for 8 months as it's a bungalow. /blog
>>
>>51310754
didn;t Cobalt from crackberry get play services to run on the blackberry, even had the app store etc
>>
>>51310602
>You really are a /v/irgin aren't you?
Are you making fun of yourself? You do realize that you just wrote that you need an app to get laid, right?
>>
File: IMG_20151112_092314.png (311 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_092314.png
311 KB, 1440x1440
>>51310800
Well its a square screen showing a rectangle, I dont know what your expecting. Chromecast is borked, most google apps are. You can try a patching tool from crackberry.

>>51310812
Yes he did, but chromecast still shits the bed
>>
>>51310850
*you're
>>
>>51310850
borked as in doesnt work at all?
if i could get the passport to chromecast the netflix app to the tv i'd buy one or should I just get the priv?
>>
>>51310978
It crashes after that message
>>
>>51311023
which app the picture is from sorry? and when was this tested?
Do you think later down the line passport will be rootable? you think BB could potentially give out an android OS to the passport users?

also do you think the chromecast app along with other google services i.e. map and gmail will work seamlessly on the passport due to modders?

I'm just asking all these questions because I really do love this phone and it's a damn shame I just can't get all the apps I want.
>>
Retarded form
Pockets are not designed to accommodate such a wide item.
>>
>>51311245
I don't know, I think it'd be fine. It's meant more for inside of the jacket because you know... business.
>>
>>51311095
>which app the picture is from sorry? and when was this tested?

The app is Chromecast. I've installed all of Cobalt's latest google play services and other suite of patched apps and Chromecast still crashes. The same thing happens with Android Wear. These apps still try to 'phone home' to an either 'most current' version or knows the Cobalt version isn't legit.

>Do you think later down the line passport will be rootable?
Extremely doubtful.

you think BB could potentially give out an android OS to the passport users?
I've seen a silver prototype variant floating around but I don't believe they would. It would cannibalize the Priv's market.

>also do you think the chromecast app along with other google services i.e. map and gmail will work seamlessly on the passport due to modders?

I haven't tried gmail but google maps works fine. I believe I have the Cobalt patched google maps. Only a hand full of 'google services' app work well after being patched. Mostly Maps and Youtube.

>I'm just asking all these questions because I really do love this phone and it's a damn shame I just can't get all the apps I want.

Yeah, it really is a nice device.
>>
File: blackberry2.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
blackberry2.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>51311245
>>
>>51311310
Thanks for answering all my question, appreciated. I'll keep my ear to the ground and watch out for further developments on the passport.
>>
Cool phone but it's too late to go back to keyboarded phones, speaking for the majority of regular people. I think the keyboard is great, but it wont sell, but I'm curious as to what apps aren't available for the passport? I really like the shape, keyboard, and the color schemes available.
>>
>>51311556
>I think the keyboard is great, but it wont sell
Well maybe not Passport but the Priv...
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/105461/20151111/blackberry-gods-must-be-smiling-blackberry-priv-sells-out-on-amazon.htm
>>
>>51311729
good news for BB. Congrats!
>>
>>51310053

i want to buy one. what are the bad things about the phone ?
>>
i just tried out the priv in a shop and desu it felt a bit thin and flimsy. i would pick the passport over the priv (and was comparing the two side by side) but neither are worth upgrading from the q10 for
>>
>>51312616
What about the BB Classic? Could that be a deal for someone like me, who's always been a devoted BB user and moved to touchshit Android, but he's now regretting to not have a trackpad and a physical keyboard on his phone? I wonder whether BB Classic has Clover though....
>>
if the priv does good do you reckon the passport will get android?
>>
>>51313233
They aren't going to retroactively change an old phone to Android. They'll just release a new similar model with Android.
Sucks if you bought a BBOS phone, I can't imagine they'll be supporting it much longer.
>>
>>51313316
can't be that hard to push out a new OS to the old passports, you just have to accept the update.
Right?
>>
>>51310053
>I actually prefer using the Hub to read & answer my messages to my PC, because it's the only way to get everything in one place (E-Mail, SMS, Phone calls & voicce messages, BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook, Wechat, LinkedIn, Instagram, ...).
Z10 owner here.
I've checked my email on a PC ~10 times in the past two year thanks to the Hub.
>>
I was considering buying a passport out of my sheer hatred for Google, is the standard passport better or the silver edition money isn't really an object as I can afford both I just want the one which is actually a better piece of hardware.

>>51309597
Will snapchat work without GAPPS? Snapchat is the only app I use reguarly that wouldn't be available on fdroid and I can just use raccoon for other junk if needs be.
>>
File: dis nigga aint making sense.png (12 KB, 138x178) Image search: [Google]
dis nigga aint making sense.png
12 KB, 138x178
>>51309927
>>51310291
>doesn't use the correct format of communication
>gets mad when people don't understand
Kill yourself faggot.
I really mean that.
Use a rope.
Drink some Bleach.
Jump off a bridge.
Anything is fine really.
>>
>>51308965
>Spent 5 hours trying to convince my cousin not to buy it.

His entire reasoning for wanting it was because it was square. He was wiling to spend £500 on a square. He didn't even like blackberry.
>>
>>51312732
You can run Clover just fine on a Classic
>>
>>51313416
The way I hear is is
SE > OG > ATT version
>>
>>51313448
Ok thanks. I asked because Clover is probably the only Android app I really care about. Where do I get Android apps on BB Classic? Amazon store?
>>
>>51310793
>Tinder still sounds like something that bites you in the ass 5 years from now
I think the users want that now senpai
>>
>>51313534
Amazon Store, Snap, or Cobalts GPlay store.
For Clover you'll have to either use Snap of Cobalt since Clover isn't on Amazon. Don't worry though sideloading is easy as shit, or you can just download Cobalt's apks to your device and run them directly.
http://forums.crackberry.com/android-apps-amazon-store-apk-files-f413/cobalts-official-google-apps-landing-page-965257/
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-install-android-apps-on-your-bb10-phone/
>>
>>51310160
Im rocking a z10 with a 3000 mah battety i bought off amazon.
Its the best phone ive ever had..
>>
File: IMG_20151112_133431.png (94 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_133431.png
94 KB, 768x1280
>>51313742
The z10 would be god tier if it wasn't for the shitty original battery
>>
File: 1305648880445.gif (93 KB, 475x346) Image search: [Google]
1305648880445.gif
93 KB, 475x346
>>51309927
>>>/r9k/

>>51310291
>>>/a/

Your newness is showing...
>>
>>51312732
the only downside of the classic is the built in battery. in my q10 if the battery starts to go down i can buy a new one for £8.
But other than that it's an excellent phone
>>
>>51308965
>>51309093

I've been using it for quite some time now. The best phone I ever owned. Typing on glass feels so awkward now.

> I didn't pay for it
>>
>>51314125
there's no such thing as "not-removable battery", so you can still replace it, it'll just take more work
>>
>>51312564
Literally the only downside is the lack of games and some second-tier social media apps (9gag has a Blackberry app, though, for all the memesters out there). But as said before, 99% of the Android apps work and you can also have access to the Play store (called "Snap") if the preinstalled Amazon store is not good enough for you.

Oh and personally I think the camera's autofocus needs a bit too long.
>>
>>51311245
It's literally the same size as a passport (or a purse). It definitely fits in every pocket. It's actually better fitting than some of the "longer" phones such as the iPhone 6 Plus.
>>
>>51308965
I'd buy the shit out of it if it had a trackball or trackpad
>>
>>51313316
I believe BB10 will still be around for a while, just because of the corporate & government customers handing it out to their employees. Android will never get the same security.

Plus, the only actual downside of BB10 (no games and fun apps) doesn't matter when you're using it for business.
>>
File: Blackberry_Q10_handset.jpg (4 MB, 4576x3056) Image search: [Google]
Blackberry_Q10_handset.jpg
4 MB, 4576x3056
Not a passport but I have a Q10. Literally the best phone I've ever owned. If something happened to it I would probably just buy another Q10/Classic or MAYBE a Passport if the price goes down.
>>
>>51315753
got more apps missing than the 1% haha.
>>
>>51315998
Like what?
>>
>>51315875
They'll probably give it security and bug patches but with how great the priv seems to be doing, the chances of any sort of huge BBOS update with new features is pretty much nil.
>>
Are BB generally also good music players? Before my good old Bold broke, I used to listen to music a lot on it and even after buying the Galaxy S4 I always thought that the music on Bold sounded better. Am I wrong?
>>
>>51316427
Tasker
>>
File: Untitledd.png (935 KB, 801x551) Image search: [Google]
Untitledd.png
935 KB, 801x551
>>51316427
proper chromecast
android wear
halifax banking app
drop box
ebay
facebook messenger
paypal
plex
just eat
playstation app
soundcloud
unified remote
winamp
uber
somaFM (great radio app)
>>
File: huge burg.png (921 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
huge burg.png
921 KB, 1024x576
>>51316555
The default media players on BB10 are actually amazing, much better than I was expecting. Plays a ton of formats including weird and obscure ones. No OPUS tho.
>>
>>51316900
>proper chromecast
never used it

>android wear
there was something 3rd party.

>halifax banking app
don't care

>drop box
preinstalled

>ebay
I prefer web page (even on android)

>facebook messenger
preinstalled facebook app works well enough

>paypal
I prefer web page

>plex
what is this

>just eat
what is this

>playstation app
no

>soundcloud
there's a native app

>unified remote
never used it

>winamp
just why

>uber
yeah, it kinda sucks that there's no app for this, but it's been years since I needed a taxi anyway

>somaFM (great radio app)
never used it

tl;dr a few useless apps, some that actually do work + uber.
>>
>>51316900
Dropbox and Facebook Messenger are preinstalled.

Never used any of the other apps (on any operating system), so I can't really comment.

>>51317125
That's true. Also, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC are supported. Unfortunately, the standard video player doesn't support webm's (but so doesn't the iPhone) - I personally have installed avplayer for that.
>>
>>51317234
Regarding Uber: you can either use the HTML5 website (which has a real-time map as well) or the Android app. I know it's not perfect, but as said before these "compromises" are basically the only disadvantage of owning a Blackberry.
>>
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 1200x896) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 1200x896
>>51309165
Just wait for the Blackberry Vienna

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-vienna
>>
>>51317125
Yeah, seeing how many formats BB can now support almosr makes me want to throw my S4 into the trash, convert all my flac library into ogg vorbis and buy a BB classic. Btw it's not just the default media player, I think that BB must generally have a very good DAC inside (aka sound card). One more thing of my old Bold I really miss is the amazing email push service from the default mail client... Except made for Google Mail, I don't have such a performance on my S4 for other mail services.
>>
>>51308965
Blackberry Classic is best for 4chan. The scrollpad for your thumb allows you to use image hover on the 4chan mobile website.
>>
File: IMG_20151112_174709.png (351 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151112_174709.png
351 KB, 720x720
>>51317549
forgot pic. not sure if you can see it, but Blackberry's Web browser has a mouse pointer built in that you use with the scrollpad for accurate clicks
>>
>>51309927
Candleja
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.