[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home Server Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
Home Server Thread

And has anyone got any idea how to quiet down a DL385 G6?
>>
Tape it up
>>
>>51308359
using a UCS c420 M3 as a desktop right now.

>take all parts out of rack mount case
>get plywood and mount on plywood
>buy alot of quiet quality fans
>build enclosure of plywood and do a cross vent
>use a separate can controller and supply
>remove stock fans and bridge connections to allow boot without messages / halts
>add a graphics card if possible
>Profit
>>
I too want to waste my money on stupid shit I don't need!
>>
>>51308433
server was free for me

fans and plywood cost me 150 at most
had an old supply and fan controller laying around.
stuck in an old ATI card i had for better picture

>2020-5
>Not having a dual CPU 65GB quad channel 10TB Raid 5 desktop
>>
>>51308433
Casual detected
>>
>>51308481
got ECC memory?
>>
>>51308481
Only supports ECC mem
>>
File: 1409018717671.jpg (4 MB, 4800x6912) Image search: [Google]
1409018717671.jpg
4 MB, 4800x6912
am I kawaii? uguu
>>
I'm about to use an Orange Pi 2 as a home server.

Is it good Arch to have a little server 24/7?
>>
Replace the fans with normal fans and resistor mod them for low rpm
>>
>>51309381
>Is it good Arch to have a little server 24/7?
Ugh but these ones are hot pluggable and I really dont want to fuck around with the physical side of the server too much.
>>
>>51309466
>>Is it good Arch to have a little server 24/7?
accidental quote
>>
>>51309179
>nortel

youtried.c
>>
>>51309499
lmao. CISCO FTW you povo
>>
Can someone please explain how I can setup my network so that my router has 2 antennas: 1 at the base, and another extended about 30 feet away.

Any recommendation for routers that have this capability? I would also like dd-wrt/tomato support and gigabit capability, thanks.
>>
buy a not shit tier router. have a look on the ddwrt page, and use a usb wireless adapter with a long extension cord.
>>
File: ibm1015.png (228 KB, 564x390) Image search: [Google]
ibm1015.png
228 KB, 564x390
So guys... I have bought a IBM Serveraid M1015 for my Windows 2012 Server. But since I'm still using software RAID, I still need to cross flash it to LSI IT mode.

For flashing I've heard it would be easier to just plug it into my gaming computer with UEFI?

Any experiences with that SAS controller?
>>
>>51309699
I have an LSI 9240-8i flashed to IT mode, exact same chipset and the card looks near the same.

You can erase the old firmware from a dos prompt, but you cant write the new IT mode stuff outside of UEFI. so its best to do the whole thing from an UEFI shell.
>>
>>51309699
>Windows
>software RAID
Pick one.
>>
Guys I have 2 old laptops I want to use as servers but I can't come up with any actual use for them. What do you do with your home servers?
>>
>>51309729
>hurr durr
Pick one.

I'm not using fucking storage spaces, and Drivebender, PoolHD, Drivepool all have CRC checking, load balancing and redundancy settings on folder level.

Also I can just move the whole VM to another system and it will just keep working or I can connect the individual drives at any time to any computer and the files can be read.

So shut up.

>>51309715
Thank you good sir. UEFI it is then.
>>
>>51309840
No worries.
I spent hours trying to get it to write under a dos prompt. It just wouldnt work.

I might have cried. And drank a lot. I blame the asus board just deciding it didnt want to boot into the EFI shell.

On that note: fuck asus
>>
>>51309860
>I might have cried.

Yeah I've heard about people having similar experiences.

>On that note: fuck asus

Oh peachy. So my two choices are Non-EFI Dell Server board or Asus RoG UEFI.
I think I might just wait for my next visit to my parents. There, I have an old Z68 ASRock board.
>>
>>51309921
Mine was a case of it just wouldnt boot into the efi shell. at all. worked fine on my gigabyte board, just not my z77 sabertooth of the time.

If you can manage to get into the efi shell, then you should be golden
>>
>>51309965
kk, thank you.
>>
>>51309840
>folder level
It's not RAID unless it handles block level. So, like I said. Pick one.
>>
>>51310049
>implying there would be any advantage in doing so

Also if I wanted RAID, I wouldn't patch it to LSI IT mode for JBOD.
>>
>>51309354
Arch is really good as a Radius server
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.