[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is hyper threading a meme considering it's premium price?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
is hyper threading a meme considering it's premium price?

>read forums for weeks
>look benchmarks for weeks

there's almost no difference at all, thinking about going to 4790k from my 3570k, but i am about to drop the idea
>>
Get AMD
>>
>>51308010
What fucking cpu-intensive applications are you going to run?
Look at the benchmarks for those, decide which level of performance you want, then buy it.
>>
>>51308010
wouldn't bother there is no performance large enough for a upgrade ots only 5% unless you like the extra iGPU.
>>
>>51308010
If all you play is games, the i5-2500k, i7-2600k both run games just about aswell as the 4000 and 6000 series do considering the price to performance changes. The only thing I would consider changing on my current setup (i5-2500k, 970gtx, 8gb ram, 250gb ssd) would be the GPU in 3-5 years. That's the only real difference that will be notable for the extra price.
>>
>>51308064
heavy gaming mostly
>>51308065
>>51308220
hmm okay, i'll keep the 3570k then and start appreciating it more, 1.25V is safe for long-term use? currently runs about 1.0 - 1.08v
>>
>>51308010
HT is about the experience, it doesn't really speed things up so much as make things feel smoother. If you want to get stuff done while encoding a video, an i7 will let you use the computer without it feeling like molasses.
>>
>>51308220
The i5 2500k was the single best thing I ever got shilled into buying by /g/.

4 years on, I see no reason to change in sight.
>>
>>51308238
>heavy gaming
Seriously, OP, are you retarded? Really, I'm not trying to insult you, I think there is a substantion chance you have a mental disability and should seek professional help.
For starters, someone how says "heavy gaming" is already a lost case to autism. Second, why the hell would you consider hyper-threading for gaming when it's been known for years that it provides almost zero performance benefits in games, and people say that here all the time?

>>51308816
>HT is about the experience, it doesn't really speed things up so much as make things feel smoother.
I can't undertsand how someone can manage to be so wrong in a single sentence. Hyper-threading does speed things up, you fucking retard. Provided, of course, said thing can benefit from a large number of threads. It obviously doesn't make things twice as fast, but it does provide a 20%~30% improvement on things that do benefit from it.
>>
>>51308939
before you call someone retarded, at least know what the hell you are talking about first. the new skylake i7s have a much higher per core performace, so for single core intensive games such as arma 3 for me going from an fx8320, it was a MASSIVE improvement.
>saying people are lost to autism while spouting garbage. things you should never do.
>>
Going from a pentium g3528 to a 4690k doubled my FPS in some games, and at least eliminated stuttering in others.

I don't know if going from 4 threads to 8 will have as large an impact though.
>>
>>51309154
Ignore him man, hyperthreading has benefits for a multitude of games including arma and grand theft auto, that guy just thinks he is an intelectually superior supreme being on an anonymous parisian clay modelling forum
>>
>>51308864
what was the first best thing? :^)
>>
hyperthreadng is the bare minimam for 8th gen games, also 16GB RAM is the bare minimom for RAM and do you remember that 750ti you used for running 1080/30fps 8th gen games? forget it, now you need a 980ti because it's bare minimayo, senpai desu goku bakemono.
>>
File: 14988222121.jpg (47 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
14988222121.jpg
47 KB, 600x390
>>51308939
>are you retarded?
>Really, I'm not trying to insult you
>you have a mental disability
I'd venture a guess that you don't go around telling people this shit when you don't have a screen to hide behind, or that if you do the majority of people let it go because you're fifteen years old. If everything you've said is true, you might be an intelligent individual. If you think that grants you worth, or makes your opinion valuable to anybody but you, you're wrong.

Being fifteen means you've never had to take care of yourself. You've presumably never known the fear, loneliness, and pain of addiction. I sincerely hope that you never do. Everything in your life right now, you can afford to take for granted, because you don't actually have to work for anything. It's handed to you. So here you go, attempting to prove how smart you are, to a stranger on the internet, because suddenly just being you isn't enough to impress.

Also, see the attached image.
>>51309682
>he thinks he is an intelectually superior supreme being on an anonymous parisian clay modelling forum
i've decided to not get a HT cpu at this time, but yeah, i can see where it might be useful
>>
>>51310062
>I'd venture a guess that you don't go around telling people this shit when you don't have a screen to hide behind

Burn.
>>
>>51310072
While I could do a point-by-point analysis of why your self-aggrandizing diatribe is meaningless to everyone but you, it would essentially feed your ego further to dissect your message, which was the whole purpose of writing it out in the first place. Your IQ proves nothing. Your bronyism proves less than that. Your self-reported physics knowledge is likely bullshit, but also useless in forming human relationships.
>>
>>51310214
>meme
>>
>>51310249
:DDDDD fugg off m8
>>
>>51310335
fite me irl, fgt! i will rek u!
>>
>>51308010
i'ts really fucking hard to say

i went from AMD fanboy, to really enjoying this ib in my thinkpad.

I think at least on laptops CPUs it's certainly worth it, i haven't used a modern AMD mobile CPU, but the i3 and i5 i've used has blown me away, the 2ghz i3 that was in the ideapad i was using was able to handle 2 monitors, and all my webdev shit open at once with no lag, literally the only difference with the i5 is that i can do all that, plus run photoshop.

you can usually afford more real world harder hitting cores on desktop class CPUS, so i'm not sure if itts worth it there.

Last desktop i built also had THE WORLDS FIRST DX11 VIDEO CARD.
so take what i say with salt.

but then again, the fuckin HT intel i used preformed just as well as my phenom 9555 black, i was playing BF3 on both CPUs with no problem, even though that intel was seriously weaker (was no i series) (lightnight fried phenom mobo friend had some spare shit with an HT intel)
>>
>>51310603
you don't know what the fuck you're talking about; nice blog though
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.