[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fbt/ - Friendly BSD Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: theo.jpg (23 KB, 379x243) Image search: [Google]
theo.jpg
23 KB, 379x243
No shitposting edition. No shitty copy pasta edition. Just talk and ask your questions about BSD and related stuff.
>>
>>51307458
Why should I, as an experienced and comfortable GNU/Linux user with all his stuff comfortably set up, move to BSD.

I'm currently on Arch GNU/Linux and I have the ABS if I want something like ports
Why BSD?
>>
>>51307585
Nice security features, on by default, that don't get in your way
Well-designed interfaces (pf, up-to-date ifconfig, nice installer)
Pretty much everything you already use works, except proprietary software
Licensing, if you're the type that cares
>>
>>51307585
Pros:
clean, lightweight system (won't eat up RAM like Linux); some software works better on BSD, like ZFS

Cons:
might be missing Linux-exclusive software you want; not as much driver availability
>>
>>51307458
aww just look at that smile
>>
>>51307639
>>51307829
Alright, might be worth a shot.
I've got an old server lying around I'll try it on
Seeing as though this thread isn't really going anywhere atm

The server's an HP ML 350 G4 and it's got a six disk array of 72gB Ultra 320 SCSI disks, how do I go about using ZFS on it?
It has a RAID card, should I just use that instead?

Also is BSD better suited for desktops or servers?
How does it handle i3?
Does it have Wayland support or does it have alternatives?
>>
Why should I trust Sektie more than Linus?
>>
File: 1436125880810.png (233 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1436125880810.png
233 KB, 512x384
>>51308030
>six disk array of 72gB
>>
>>51308046
It was free and it's a fully redundant 216gB on high quality disks
Apparently it was $14k new so I'm happy with it even if it is old
>>
>>>/a/utism
>>
>>51307458
Is there a /etc/fstab in openBSD?

I'm working on a pfSense FW for muh home.
Comming form Loonix it's not do difficult but sure as hell is different.

Now I want to set squid to cache on a 64 GB SSD. And let pfSense still boot and save configs from the USB.
>>
>>51307585
If you have to ask such an open-ended question, then it means you're comfortable on Linux and should stay there.
I moved away from Linux about 10 years ago because I was sysadmin with little free time and fed up of security problems and bad documentation. I never regretted the decision. Now I even run OpenBSD on all my laptops, etc.
I moved because I was heavily dissatisfied with Linux. When and if that happens, you'll have much more specific questions to ask.
>>
>>51309543
Not only is there an /etc/fstab file, but there's also a very nice fstab(5) man page.
I don't know anything about pfsense though. Always just wrote my own pf.conf in OpenBSD. There is also a very good man page and faq for that too. Also a couple books that talk about it, like Absolute OpenBSD, and The Book of PF.
>>
>>51310680
Absolute OpenBSD is a really great book.
>>
>>51308030
FreeBSD runs just fine on my old fujitsu server with 8GB DDR2 ECC RAM and six physical drives in two arrays. System is on RAID1 and data on a RAID5. I went with UFS because my RAID controller has no JBOD mode and I didn't want to fuck with pass-through.

Machine is snappy and nice. Used to run OpenSUSE but wanted to try freebsd.

FreeBSD is suited for servers.
OpenBSD + Thinkpad X200 is an unbeatable combo as a mobile workstation.

i3 runs fine on both. You will have to alter i3status or use conky.

No wayland support and no (worthy) alternatives.
>>
I'm planning on building a real home server for whatever you use a home server for. I was thinking OpenBSD then I thought that if I wanted to have a game server I find that most games don't even have a BSD dedicated server. What should I do?
>>
>>51312444
Use something else like FreeBSD. OpenBSD has no linux emulation and most game servers are not supported.
>>
>>51307639
>Nice security
Enjoy the botnet, specially on OpenBSD.
>>
File: 1401270599201.png (18 KB, 501x576) Image search: [Google]
1401270599201.png
18 KB, 501x576
>>51313596
Your statement is worthless without a) explanation and b) sources.
>>
File: logo.png (4 KB, 170x90) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
4 KB, 170x90
All the systemd drama has made me think a lot about switching distros (from Arch) to something more "minimal". Maybe I'll even switch to a *BSD. I just need some convincing. And a couple of answers:

First, which one to chose? Free/Open/Net BSD? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Also how viable is it to run a BSD on a laptop? Is hardware support good? What about power management?

Is there something like the Arch wiki for BSDs? Maybe some introduction guide for ex Linux users?

And finally what do you think about bitrig? It reminds me of those new-school Linux distros like Alpine, Void or Sabotage that try to avoid the GNU bloat (for instance Alpine uses musl instead of glibc and busybox instead of GNU's coreutils)
>>
File: 1437221735930.gif (707 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1437221735930.gif
707 KB, 500x500
>>51314156
>First, which one to chose? Free/Open/Net BSD? What are the advantages of one over the other?
Do you need linux emulation? Then FreeBSD. You don't need games, virtualbox and linux emulation and bleeding edge software? Go for OpenBSD. OBSD has the best man pages ever made. Can't say much about NetBSD. It runs on toasters though.
>BSD on a laptop? Is hardware support good? What about power management?
If you have an older Thinkpad OpenBSD supports everything ootb. FreeBSD devs actually use macs so they mostly virtualize. FreeBSD on servers is awesome and has nice features like ZFS, dtrace and jails.
>Is there something like the Arch wiki for BSDs? Maybe some introduction guide for ex Linux users?
Yeah, forums and such. Do some research and get the books Absolute Openbsd or/and Absolute FreeBSD.
>And finally what do you think about bitrig? It reminds me of those new-school Linux distros like Alpine, Void or Sabotage that try to avoid the GNU bloat (for instance Alpine uses musl instead of glibc and busybox instead of GNU's coreutils)
Gentoo has no systemd. Alpine is also good but not for everyday workstation. 8/10 Would run on router though.
>>
>>51314156

>First, which one to chose? Free/Open/Net BSD? What are the advantages of one over the other?

FreeBSD: Focus on performance and easy administration, sysadmins favorite.
If you want to run a server or a thousand, this is for you.

OpenBSD: Focus on security and clarity, something you would expect a software engineer to use. If you're interested in OS research and security, this is for you. Makes a nice "daily driver".

NetBSD: Focus on flexibility and compatibility, oldschool hacker OS. If you like messing around with exotic hardware and the system in general, this is your OS. If you're a noob, this is not the OS you're looking for.

>Also how viable is it to run a BSD on a laptop? Is hardware support good? What about power management?
>Is there something like the Arch wiki for BSDs? Maybe some introduction guide for ex Linux users?
>And finally what do you think about bitrig? It reminds me of those new-school Linux distros like Alpine, Void or Sabotage that try to avoid the GNU bloat (for instance Alpine uses musl instead of glibc and busybox instead of GNU's coreutils)
>>
>>51314156

>Also how viable is it to run a BSD on a laptop?
See below.
It'll work fine on 90% of all laptops.

Is hardware support good?
Yes. Most likely, everything will work fine. Some WiFi chipsets can cause problems though. If you find a chipset that doesn't work, you can try to convert the windows drivers, or buy a different chipset on Ebay and swap them.

What about power management?
No idea desu.

>Is there something like the Arch wiki for BSDs?

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/

https://www.freebsd.org/docs.html

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/

Maybe some introduction guide for ex Linux users?

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/linux-users/

Takes 10 seconds to find with google. If you can't even do that yourself, BSD is not for you.

Seems interesting. Might be worth trying out, but I would wait and see if it survive in the long run.
>>
>>51314490
>and has nice features like ZFS, dtrace and jails.

Dont forget gstat!
>>
Gentoo is better
>>
>>51315403
It's not. It's different.
My Thinkpad X201 works OOTB with OpenBSD + XFCE. Sleep/Suspend, iwn, led backlight. It's a pain in the ass to get these things working on gentoo and that comes from a 12+ years Gentoo user. I still use it because it's my favourite linux distribution, because of portage, USE flags and OpenRC.
Gentoo gives me better drivers and VirtualBox for running Office and Outlook because of my work as an IT sysop. OpenBSD just works without all gentoo hassle and I use remmina to connect to my windows server boxes and a win7 VM. Some of my db servers are running FreeBSD because it's fast and stable and I've got nice things like dtrace and jails.
Everything is a matter of perspective. There is not *the* one OS. I don't use OSX because I never felt I need it.
>>
>>51315403
You are delusional, Linuxfriend.

BSD Ports >>>>> Portage
>>
>>51307585
A big advantage I can think of, and this is especially for OpenBSD as that's the one I'm most familiar with, is great documentation, and ease of use.

Their sudo alternative is really nice and easy to configure, for example.
>>
>>51314540
>OpenBSD: Focus on security
tip top meme, anon!
>>
>>51312502
I'm pretty sure OpenBSD has a Linux layer.

It's just prehistoric.
>>
>>51316062
>BSD Ports
applecuks actually believe this
>>
>>51316789
>kek meme
you sure showed him, champ
>>
Is BSD dying?
>>
>>51317678
it's been dead since '93
>>
>2015
>not using BDSM
wats your excuse /g/
>>
File: 1441120747294.jpg (24 KB, 600x297) Image search: [Google]
1441120747294.jpg
24 KB, 600x297
>>51313931
Here
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/allegations-openbsd-backdoors-may-be-true

BSD license is a kill too, I remember samizdata and all that shit from Alexis de Tocqueville Institution.
>>
>>51318225
You didn't read the last few paragraphs and only read the sensationalist headline, didn't you?
>>
>>51318272
What is your problem? There is a legit concern, if I wanted to be sensationalist I would show another article from cnet.

Take it as it is, I warned you.
>>
Is it possible to control charge threshold on x230 with OpenBSD?
>>
>>51315403
Gentoo maintainers are a bunch of whiny losers that have never made anything good, unlike the OpenBSD team.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.