[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey Ni/g/gas so I got ahold of a defunct OG Xbox (capacitor juice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Xbox_debone.jpg (3 MB, 3816x2144) Image search: [Google]
Xbox_debone.jpg
3 MB, 3816x2144
Hey Ni/g/gas so I got ahold of a defunct OG Xbox (capacitor juice ate through the mobo, so I skinned it) and are proposing 2 purposes for it. Either HTPC (Most likely) or a portable LAN party PC.

Yeah I know
>vidya >>>>>>>/v/

If y'all have any other suggestions, like actual productivity out of this project I'm eager to learn (Like I dunno some sort of server?) Life isn't always about vidya, netflix, and crunchyroll.

In your opinion what exactly would be a more rewarding route for me to go on? A scrapyard wars type of deal? Or simple APU build and get it over with?

I don't have any extra tech (besides my laptop's old hard drive) and none of my friends had an old build/spare parts to spare.

Main objective is to stuff it with decent internals (for whichever purpose it goes to) without sacrificing the looks of it.

And yes I will install Gentoo on it.
>>
Shove your sick in it.
>>
>>51306739
If you intend to get into electronics as a hobby, scavenge it for parts, desolder everything, look it up, label and store it and save the case, use it for whatever you feel you will actually be using, a media center or a NAS or whatever you like, it's a hueg case, doesn't seem very practical for anything involving the word 'portable'.
>>
>>51306739
Just do an apu build, that case will be to claustraphobic for anything else worth while
>>
File: All_Hail_Satan.jpg (53 KB, 400x580) Image search: [Google]
All_Hail_Satan.jpg
53 KB, 400x580
>>51307516

This was my exact thought when I was considering putting in a dedicated gpu.

>>51307494
This is much more portable than my ATX build on my desktop, it's pretty much 1/2 the height of an average m-ATX build senpai. (2 thinkpads tall & thick for reference?)

But on the scavenging for parts thing, I don't see any of the internals being useful for anything but a Celeron based mobo.

Duly noted though, thank you.
>>
>>51306739
>capacitor juice ate through the mobo

never heard of isopropyl? ruined for no reason
>>
>>51307720
Doesn't help if the cap acid eats through the tracks on the motherboard.
>>
>>51307720

Meh, not like there are any exclusives worth playing on it. Everything that was actually quality either is already on PC/Steam or got updated/archived in some way to be played on the Xbone.

I still have my personal Xbox so no worries there.

Just goes to show that the Xbox emulator didn't need to work since nobody wanted it.
>>
File: plans.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
plans.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I made an XBMC/Emulator build.
Pics were about halfway through, added shit like usb ports in the original controller ports and the like.
Ended up having to use an external PSU with internal extensions hooked up to an I/O so it's somewhat modular, and single cabled.

If you're going with 3d, you can either go with an APU (I just had an old AM2 micro board handy) or maybe a 90 degree or ribbon adapter for a card. You don't have much vertical space, or air pressure.
>>
>>51307806
>Meh, not like there are any exclusives worth playing on it.
Forza, Ninja Gaiden Black, Brute Force, Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi, Otogi 2, Gunvalkyrie, crimson skies, Project Gotham Racing, Psyvariar 2: Extend edition, Phantom Dust, Outrun 2, Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Toejam & Earl III, Conker: Live and Reloaded, Breakdown, Ghost Recon 2. All ranging from good to fucking awesome.
>>
>>51307830
how did you attach the motherboard to the case?
>>
>>51307980
Forza/gotham/outrun2 - I have never enjoyed any racing/race car game, though outrun 2 was the best out of all of them.
Ninja Gaiden Black - I'll give you that, but didn't care much for it.
Brute Force - Amazing for its time, terribly terribly outdated by today's standards
Jet Set Radio Future - I only enjoy playing the dreamcast og version
Otogi 1 & 2 - Played a lot of PSO (sword class) back in the day, I'm actually curious to see how Otogi is in comparison.
Gunvalkyrie - Alright damn, this one holds up.
Crimson Skies - I had a PC equivalent with an actual joy stick.
Psyvariar 2: Extend edition - Isn't there an updated 360 version? Or a steam one for that matter?
Phantom Dust - Holy shit I've never seen this game, I'll definitely find a way to obtain this gem.
DoA: no comment
Toejam & Earl III: T&E only exists to me on the megadrive and genesis, anyways platformers died to me when Rare died.
Conker :L&R - I said exclusive anon, anyways original or bust. (beautiful remake tho)
Breakdown - Combat wise God Hand was infinitely more fun than this.
Ghost Recon 2 - Yes I agree, but same case as brute force.

Hrm, looks like I have some gems to look out for now
>>
File: picoPSU-150-XT.jpg (47 KB, 440x427) Image search: [Google]
picoPSU-150-XT.jpg
47 KB, 440x427
>>51307830
use a pico PSU instead of a real ATX-PSU
>>
>>51308244
Screws and O-Rings.
>>
>>51306739
Willudesign did a build with a xbox case look it up on jewtube
>>
>>51308363
The build was mostly done with scrap parts, didn't have one of these handy funnily enough.
Think the only thing i bought were some usb headers, screws and cable extensions for a few dollars.
>>
>>51308363
>pico PSU
How well do these work? I don't need the motherboard connector part but the molex connector+voltage rails in a small package could be very useful.
>>
Man, that case is going to be a hassle and won't even look good.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.