[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Startup CEO's: don't use functional programming languages.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: resize.jpg (130 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
resize.jpg
130 KB, 1000x750
https://storify.com/realtalktech/startup-ceo-s-functional-programming-isn-t-bad-it-

This is a call to arms of all future startups to have an embargo on functional programming languages... and get rich.

/g/, i've been spreading around a lot of bait for autistic functional programmers lately. any idea on topics to go into?

https://storify.com/realtalktech
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/3shren/functional_programming_a_step_backward/cwxce5p
>>
File: 1433992187370.jpg (53 KB, 616x616) Image search: [Google]
1433992187370.jpg
53 KB, 616x616
>>51305523
This is a 10/10 story
Post it on /ptg/
>>
twitter is https://twitter.com/realtalkintech
>>
>>51305749
why /ptg/?
>>
>>51305523
no shit

pure funnkshunal programming is for neckbeards and normies who don't know what they're doing
>>
>>51305969
because /dpt/ is too mainstream for him
>>
The tone this guy has. Sounds like a markov chain of /g/, /g/dpt and the red pill.
>>
>>51305523
I don't know. Maybe mix it with constrictive "advice" like telling them to use D or whatever. Makes you seem more serious.
>>
> On a sociological level, autism is a social schizophrenia - where infantalism goes unchecked on familial, friend and social media levels.
fucking familial
>>
Please tell me this is satire
>>
>>51307577
tranny detected

your life is a joke
>>
Looking at the guy's reddit posts, this is either exceptional+1 quality trolling or some deeply conservative manager type throwing fits because he couldn't even pretend to understand the code anymore
>>
>>51307712

His complaint as a manager is not that he can't understand the code, but that there are so few people who understand it that there is little competition and he would have to pay them 100k a year instead of 45k a year. Nevermind the fact that 45k a year is chump change for any programmer...
>>
>>51305523
I agree that pure functional languages should not be used to build the main product in a startup, but the functional paradigm allows very powerful and readable constructs and is present in many of the languages mentioned in the article (Python, JS, Ruby, Java, even C++)
Also the website you linked seems to have a specific agenda against functional languages and the tone used seems to harsh to be serious... or to be taken seriously...
>>
>>51307774
Sure, he's concerned about management issues too, but why is he raging so hard about the languages themselves? It's got to be personal.
>>
>>51305523
I can't watch this website my ublock, disconnect and privacy badger all start running how when I visit that website.
>>
Next you're going to tell me I shouldn't use python for embedded programing
>>
lol, thats why I hear "PHP bad", "fractal o bad design"...

fuckin /g/ got #rekt
>>
>>51305523
free third party libraries you vitally need to achieve velocity, makes the benefits moot.
>free
>and get rich
>get rich, off of free third party libraries
aint that a little fucked up though?

also
>moot
>>
>>51305523
>They also do it as a way to avoid you from firing all of them and finding cheap 45k / yr programmers
Not even being subtle.
>>
This seems to go against what Paul Graham was saying about the e-commerce product he developed in Lisp (which then was sold to Yahoo). He basically said that Lisp allowed him to stay always several steps ahead of any competitors, because it was so quick and easy to add functionality to the product. To me, that sounds like quite an asset for a startup. I guess these CEOs are only looking the downside, which is that the programmers actually have to learn the functional paradigm, and most of them only grasp imperative and OO (because that's mostly all that's taught in schools anymore, even MIT dropped the scheme course...)

Anyway I don't have a horse in this race, I'm a Perl guy actually. Never did any Lisp or Scheme or whatever.
>>
>>51307962
>tone used seems to harsh
;_;
>>
>>51305523
>CEOs
>micromanaging engineers and making technical decisions despite no technical background
Why am I not surpised?
>>
>>51310283
Hey, I just had a thought though. What if this is all just FUD by one company or two, and they're trying to discourage functional programming so they can use it exclusively themselves and have an upper hand?
>>
>>51310283
You seem to be confused here. While Lisp macros are incredibly powerful in creating more powerful tools for the job and functional programming is very prevalent, Lisp is still a multiparadigm language and barely anyone would actually write a recursive function for anything that could be done better and more readable with the loop macro.

I enjoy Lisp a lot, exactly because FP is so good in it while it still allows me to use an imperative style inside functions if it's easier to write or read.
>>
Who the heck thought Haskell was practical? I code everything in Haskell because it's beautiful.
>>
>>51310904
Yeah I realize it doesn't enforce FP. But the CEO dudes just lump Lisp and others that aren't standard JAVA, C#, etc. into FP. If you want to argue pedantly with them about it, be my guest. I don't even care in the first place.
>>
>>51311362
That guy's arguement is basically: "You can't get cheap indians to program shit in non-standard languages, and that's why FP is bad". The whole "realtalktech" page is most likely made by some hardcore autist whining about FP autists. There really isn't anything to argue about here.
>>
>>51311427
Did you even read op's post? He literally said that those articles were bait.
>>
>>51311585
But WHAT IF he only figuratively said that those articles were bait?
>>
>any idea on topics to go into?

Ideas are more important than languages: Minecraft with Java, MS-DOS with assembly and BASIC, RollerCoaster Tycoon with assembly.

All of the unmaintainable "10x programmer" Lisp code had to be rewritten in other languages. Reddit and Yahoo Stores (which Paul Graham always brags about) are two notable examples.

ML originally ran on an interpreter written in Lisp, then Pascal, then C. It got pattern matching and its module system (the things ML programmers brag about) only after it was rewritten in C and became a compiled language.

Monads are widely considered to be a bad idea compared to continuation-like systems, even in the functional programming community, but are being bolted onto languages where they're not a good fit.
>>
No shit. Functional languages are memes.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.