[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /sgi/ here? Post your IRIX boxes or whatever else you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: DSC03489-HDR.jpg (3 MB, 3240x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC03489-HDR.jpg
3 MB, 3240x2160
Who /sgi/ here? Post your IRIX boxes or whatever else you have that might be old or exotic.
>>
Pretty cool for their time, but my smartphone could probably render graphics faster than those.
>>
>>51305445
man, I've always wanted an SGI box of my own
almost bought one off of one of my teachers at one point but didn't

not sure if I regret it though, dunno what I'd even really do with one (mostly because getting the software I'd need for it to be useful would probably be a bitch)
>>
File: DSC_1935.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1935.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
This guy managed to play some high fidelity music through his. He showed the CPU usage at nearly 100%
>>
just had a shit nostalgia jerk 6 hours ago about how the wild west of the internet was over 10 years ago

One of the things I find incredibly ironic about technology is how deeply rooted it is in shitty nostalgia. You'd think, in this one field, anything old would just be dropped, but something causes people to hold on tight and try too hard to be old.

I browse /k/ - they have old guns which can still do the job of shooting something. But the really old guns that can't kill effectively/etc are ignored outside of momentary novelty. nobody has black powder guns even as a hipster oldfag psuedo-joke.

I browse /o/ - they have an appreciation for old and classic cars, which can do the job of getting you there. Too old though, and it's disregarded outside of momentary novelty. nobody has 1800s cars even as a joke.

Technology is the only thing where every 10 years the tech that had been good then can't even do the most basic task now. And you'd think it'd get left in the dust and hard a hundred hundred times. But we have 70s shits and 80s shits and 90s shits who all can't fucking let go of their crusty ass computer and make these threads every 5 - 10 hours on how their decade was best even though they mentally abstained either from youth or bitterness through the other ones.

Why why why why? flame if you want but I really want to know why every field drops the old shit when it gets too far useless to compensate for novelty and the ONE field in which usefulness is literally all that matters is held onto 20, 30, 40 fucking years after. is it because the internet took off quickly and we have 30 year olds psuedo-pretending to be 50 so they can acceptably be anti-social to pretend to appear cool? What is it. I really have to know.
>>
>>51306292
Take a deep breath. You good...?
There's any number of reasons why people find these older machines appealing. Unique operating systems and software, interesting architecture/hardware, design and engineering from a time before everything turned into commodity shitboxes. Either way it's a hobby, it doesn't have to be rational, just fun.
>>
>>51306292
The difference in PC wankery is that all of this shit happened over the span of half a century. Guns have been around forever. Cars, while not forever, has a backlog of multiple generations. Computers is the one field that has advanced faster than either of those, and all within a single person's lifetime. That's pretty wild if you think about it. So ya, if you were actually in the middle of all that rapid change, it's not hard to grasp why it can be nostalgic.
>>
>>51306292
I honestly think it's a good idea that people are preserving this old hardware. At least until a low level emulator can be written for every device. Some 1960s, 70s, 80s computers don't even have a single emulator.
>>
Those are some pretty gay looking minifridges
>>
>mfw I have a bunch of old IRIX software.
>mfw I have some listed on eBay and haven't sold much of it.
>mfw some of it is sealed.
>>
>>51307150
Put it up. People will pay decent money for it.
>>
>>51306292
Honestly? It took a shitton longer for any of those other things to be considered well and truly obsolete.
I'm still fucking impressed how fast shit progressed, I have an old 8MB Compact Flash card from 2001 that I dug out, shit probably cost like $20 at the time. Four years later, $20 will get you 256MB. Four years later, 4GB. Four years later? 16GB. Now? 32-going-on-64GB.

Old tech also can be fun to fuck around with, eg, demoscene stuff where you try to see just how much you can squeeze out of the hardware.

As for these machines, this was just fucking style and power in one go, these are the sort of machines that did heavy 3D processing back in the day (that you probably could legitimately do on your phone at near-realtime speed now). They're inherently cool devices (and as high end machines, can do a decent more than you'd think today -- maybe not a daily use box, but you could totally get one set up to go on the internet, do some minor 3D work on, video capture, etc). They're cool, professional-grade Unix machines that are different enough from the norm to be interesting and are about as useful as a consumer-grade machine released 4-5 years later (at least performance-wise) would be today.
>>
>sgi discussion

nekochan
>>
File: DSC_0325.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0325.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51305445

Just an Indy, I've upgraded it to a 200Mhz R4400 CPU and 128mb of RAM.

I really do need a new hard drive though.
>>
Been watching an indy with accesories on ebay for a few months now, was sticking at $666.
Guy had to move and dropped the starting price to $70.
Someone bought it for $170.
If I had the cash...
>>
>>51306292
That's the thing, tech moves so fast something 10 years old is like the "old and classic cars"

This said, I'd fucking love a Data General Nova.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.