[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any IT guys here? Support/Sys Admin/etc.? I'm in college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Nedry-660x358.jpg (57 KB, 660x358) Image search: [Google]
Nedry-660x358.jpg
57 KB, 660x358
Any IT guys here? Support/Sys Admin/etc.?
I'm in college doing IT classes and I don't get what the day-to-day is supposed to look like for someone with an IT Job. It just seems like they deal with problems as they arise and otherwise have nothing to really do.
Not that I dislike that or anything
>>
>>51304829
bump? Anyone here?
>>
>>51304829
pretty much yeah
>>
>>51304829

Yeah, I browse the internet most days. I like when I have something to do though because it makes the day go faster. I pray every Friday that nothing goes wrong over the weekend.
>>
I work as the customer support person for several large organizations that buy software from my company. If nothing is pressing (unusual) I work on internal project (nee development, better documentation, helping other people answer their own issues in my knowledge area).

When shit goes wrong or more often issues come up that need to be resolved in a week or two, I investigate it on their system and check out own documentation and past issue logs. If that doesn't work we have debugging tools and I can find the area in the source code. From there you find a creative workaround.

I'm new so it's kind of stressful. Since I have a personal relationship with the IT teams that have to use our product it feel like it's on me when shit doesn't work even if they are using it wrong or someone wrote the code in a weird way. Also the industry that buys this software has a lot of money and safety risks so there is the feeling of "i better not fuck up".

Wish I was a developer for more pay and a less customer facing role but for my background and inexperience the money makes it worth.
>>
Pretty much, when I have nothing to do I study certifications (my company pays for it). So far this year I've obtained 4. It helps for my resume and salary.
>>
>>51305102
+5: insightful
>>
>>51305071
>>51305093
Ah, I see.
What would you guys say are the most important certs? I'm working on A+ and Windows certs at the moment
I tried to study for CCNA but it wasn't really making sense.
>>51305102
That sounds pretty stressful, customer support is not something I really want to get in to. I'm sure you'll adjust though, considering that you've just started
>>
>>51305161
From what I hear get something that doesn't involve end users as much. I work with the IT people at a customers org so they at least know my pain because they have their own set of end users bitching.

But there are also cases where you a just overqualified for the job and then it will be chill because you jst have to fix small things that come up instead of tackle large issues you don't underrstand
>>
>>51305150
4? Which ones? What's your salary? Where do you live?
>>
>>51305071
>>51305093
>>51305150

it's whatever you make it. you'll have tasks to do, but no deadline since no one else knows how long it'll take... work at your own pace, be as smart as you want to be, etc.

>if i'm too helpful, no one will leave me alone
>if I'm useless, I'd imagine I'd get fired

there's a fine line
>>
Director of Technology for the largest department at a UC here.

You only deal with heaps of problems if you:

- Are underfunded
- Are bad at your job

If those are in order, your life is awesome. I do work like a firefighter, though. When there is a problem, I immediately rectify it. Always under-promise and over-deliver. Otherwise, I take it easy. I shoot the shit with my coworkers, plan for the future, and read tech blogs. Generally just keep abreast of what is happening in technology.
>>
>>51305443
>abreast
>a breast
>breast
kek
>>
>>51305443
>>51305406
Thanks for the advice guys, I quite appreciate it
>>
>>51305443
Can you tell me a little more about IT management? Is it really stressful/long hours/or even just worth it at the end of the day
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.