[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Hackathon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1445411269612.jpg (124 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1445411269612.jpg
124 KB, 800x600
Theres a hackathon going on near me and they don't usually happen so close by, so I signed up without even thinking about the fact that I don't really know how to do much.

I'm in my second year in school, it teaches C++ I've taken the introduction course,
a class on 'Object Oriented Programming' and about done with this semesters Data
Structures class.

The hackathon is taking ideas from the community then our team picks one for us to work
on, its supposed to be an Android mobile app and from what I understand that means I'm
supposed to be working Java.

Would it be possible to just learn to work with Android Studio and Java in about two
weeks, would that be enough to not be a terrible burden on my team? I think I've heard
that because C++ and Java are both Object Oriented Languages theres a lot of overlap
and I won't have to learn a lot of new concepts outside of adjusting to a different syntax.

Also has anyone else been to one of these things?
Any stories?
Did you feel like you were slowing your team down or was your team slowing you down?
>>
>>51304266
I never understood the hackathon meme. Why should I disrupt my autism and engage in social interaction when I can achieve my goals want from the safety of mother's basement?
>>
>>51304266
C++ is magnitudes harder than Java.
Most people do a tonne of Java courses at uni but since you're pressed for time just do the Codeacademy course that just popped up, should be fine. Hackathons exist for businesses to get programmers to solve their shit for free, go and use it to learn from more experienced programmers.
>>
>>51304310
You shouldn't. Enjoy your basement.
>>
>>51304343
Do you know of anything completely different from
C++ about Java that I should look out for or pay
close attention to?
>>
>>51304478
Just go, hang out, have fun, and maybe learn something. Or, you can just hang around for the circle jerk at the end. Either way, you benefit...
>>
If you have horrible communication skills I'd probably work on that first. If you're good you should be able to scout someone who has a good working knowledge of Java.
>>
Java has more safety nets than C++ and you don't have to do memory management. Just practice some syntax in IntelliJ and you should be fine.

http://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/java/
>>
>>51304310
You can learn about good APIs and services that will allow you to beef up your project portfolio.

It's a test of software engineering skills, to be frank. Learn Node.js and you'll be fine.
>>
You're not going to get proficient in Android programming within two weeks having minimal experience in Java programming. You need at least two months getting to know Java from nothing and a least two more weeks after that to learn how Android programming works.
>>
go on your bike and drive by and shout SCRIPT KIDDIES then pedal as fast as you can hahahahahahah XD that will get them
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.