[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
APUs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: a10.jpg (137 KB, 1018x572) Image search: [Google]
a10.jpg
137 KB, 1018x572
Does AMD plan on improving the APU line? if they can increase performance enough they might actually make some money
>>
>>51303672
>Does AMD plan on improving the APU line

yes, see zen
>>
Isn't the first product to use the am4 socket going to be a non-zen apu?
>>
Carrizo is getting released for desktops next year under the name Bristol Ridge.
Its on the new socket, and uses DDR4. There will probably be a few other tweaks, but no major changes.

Though the improved bandwidth and efficiency of the IGP should give it moderate performance gains over Kaveri, nothing to write home about though. It'll be interesting to see how they overclock. Carrizo is a 28nm HPP chip, a cheaper generic process compared to Kaveri's 28nm SHP which was custom.

Following that comes Raven Ridge in Q1 2017, still on the same socket.

>>51303707
Yep.
>>
>>51303672
They're going to be putting HBM on die, and with that they kill the entry level GPU market
>>
>>51303982
>They're going to be putting HBM on die
On *package* and this still isn't confirmed for Raven Ridge. It hasn't even been hinted.
>>
>>51303982
>>51304042
We can only hope. DDR4 is okay but APUs that use HBM would put serious hurt on GPUs like the gtx 750
>>
does anyone know when the 7890k will come out?
>>
>>51304110
It's just going to be another slight clock bump, or another 5ghz CPU
>>
>>51304130
I know that faggot, when is it?
>>
>>51304227
It's not going to be worth buying over a 7850k given how cheap it's become

also some info, but we still don't know a release date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRLiyqK52k
>>
>apu
>not getting a g3250 and gtx 950
literally retarded
>>
>>51304268
Sorry I believe in the international Jewish conspiracy, so no
>>
File: anon_kun.jpg (58 KB, 498x482) Image search: [Google]
anon_kun.jpg
58 KB, 498x482
>>51304268
>recommending a dual core processor with no hyperthreading
End thyself
>>
>>51304292
Literally.
>>
File: 524678.jpg (13 KB, 535x302) Image search: [Google]
524678.jpg
13 KB, 535x302
>>51304298
>implying it's not better than apus
>>
>>51304103
Bandwidth is a street, it doesn't nothing unless the traffic is there to use it.
A single module of HBM1 can provide 128GB/s, and to put that in perspective the Radeon 7870 has about 154GB/s. That HBM module could support a 20CU with only a slight memory bottleneck, not taking into account controller improvements and delta color compression. Fitting that in an APU is another question entirely.

The PS4's APU is 348mm2. Carrizo is 250mm2
Scaled down to 14nm they'd be about 105mm2, and 75mm2 respectively. Using those simple reference figures its conceivable that Raven Ridge could have 20 CU on die, and still fit around that 100mm2 mark. If die size isn't an issue then the technical limitation would be power consumption. Fury and Carrizo both showed that AMD made utterly tremendous gains in energy efficiency purely from new IP as both were still 28nm bulk parts. Fury especially because its a 64 CU die that fits inside of a 250w TDP, the Fury Nano with slightly lower clocks comes in at 175w.
With that in mind it would appear that a 20CU IGP would be feasible for 14nm Raven Ridge staying inside a 95w TDP, even with the 3w~ taken up by an HBM module.

A 20CU 3rd gen or newer GCN IGP would certainly trounce the GTX 750 ti, though I wouldn't bet on AMD actually producing this.
>>
>>51304317
gtx 950 is 20 dollardoos more than the 7870k so no it isnt i need to fork out 100 dollars
>>
>>51304346
dense pasta.
>>
>>51304317
True however many games throw a shit fit when they can't use more than 2 threads resulting in lower fps or the game not being able to start.

On top of this not all pentiums can be overclocked so a 4.2 GHz A10 APU would have around the same single core performance as a 3.2 GHz pentium.

If you're going to shill for jewtel at least recommend an i3 with hyper threading please. Even the 2.9 GHzi3-4130T is better than that pentium turd.
>>
>>51304372
that's bait right?.
>>
>>51304317
Try to play Far Cry 4 or GTAV on a dual core
>>
>>51304392
if OC is your problem then get the 3258
>>
>>51304411
its not the better option, is Mercedes better than Honda because it is more expensive? not really
>>
>>51304346
>20CU + 128GB/s HBM
Jesus christ, that would be insane. But yeah AMD might not do it. I would be happy AF is they did though. Would make all entry level GPUs obsolete.
>>
>>51304444
That still doesn't fix the fact that it can't hyperthread. Pentiums belong in the trash. Even an A10 is a better choice then a pentium simply because it has 4 threads.
>>
>>51304346
>it doesn't nothing
does*

>>51304487
This node shift down to 14/16 is a really big inflection point for the market. The jump in area scaling and electrostatics are both tremendous. We're looking at a 70% area reduction compared to 28nm, performance per watt increasing from 80% to 140% depending on the specific process variant employed and clocks targeted.

What a vendor could technically achieve on these nodes is extremely impressive. Its likely that AMD would have planned their future APU as to not cannibalize their own sales. Raven Ridge will actually be launching in a very tough position, and it has me worried about what pricing structure they'll employ. They will inevitably sell quad core Summit Ridge CPUs, and they will inevitably sell a new line of entry and mid level GPUs. Raven Ridge is almost certainly a quad core with an entry-mid level IGP. They might not offer SMT on these chips to create better defined segmentation.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.