[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best text editor on mac os 10, sir?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: screenshot_e.png (31 KB, 653x446) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_e.png
31 KB, 653x446
What's the best text editor on mac os 10, sir?
>>
TextWrangler is the only decent one I've found that isn't a total price of shit or a piece of shit with a $40 price tag
>>
>>51301629
>sir
>>>/reddit/
use vim you fucking mong
>>
emacs
>>
CotEditor is pretty nice.
>>
>>51301629
vim (or neovim) or emacs.
it's not hard
>>
Vim or emacs.
>>
>all of these vim and emacs suggestions
wtf it isn't the 1980s anymore

>>51301770
sir if you don't stop i'll report you sir

>>51301787
Why does it have encoding selection at the top?
>>
atom (with vim mode)
>>
>>51303410
Why would I want another web browser just to edit text? Why do people think VI is so great?
>>
>>51301629
vim
>>
>>51303316
well you're in luck, vim is a product of the 90s :^)
like, no one would actually suggest oldschool 70s/80s style vi seriously today

people like vim because it's full of features, very configurable, and lets you just reflexively input editing commands once you've learned it, no mousing around or wild contortionist keyboard inputs, just press a couple keys in order and shit happens

kind of got lazy and just installed jEdit on my OSX install, I used to use it before I found Notepad++ on Windows, and since there's no Notepad++ for OSX, jEdit's my editor of choice there
>>
>>51304125
I dont know.. i only use it because of dd, p, vi', vib, viB

those are the only commands i know and its enough for me to keep using it :)
>>
>>51304195
>well you're in luck, vim is a product of the 90s :^)
Not so fast :^)
>Bram Moolenaar began working on Vim for the Amiga computer in 1988. Moolenaar first publicly released Vim (v1.14) in 1991.[7] Vim was based on an earlier editor, Stevie, for the Atari ST,[1] created by Tim Thompson, Tony Andrews and G.R. (Fred) Walter.

>jEdit
But this requires java
>>
>>51301749
This,Sire.
>>
I like Sublime Text 3. It's fast (cough, Atom) and heavily extensible (cough, everything else).

I use vim for small edits and anything remote.
>>
>>51304759
>Bram Moolenaar began working on Vim for the Amiga computer in 1988.
huh
well that's pretty interesting

>jEdit
>But this requires java
yeah
that being said, Java for desktop applications is fine
and doesn't OSX still come with Java? I know it used to be standard for sure (like, a bog-standard OSX install had the JRE+JDK installed by default)
>>
File: FUUUUUCK.png (728 KB, 823x540) Image search: [Google]
FUUUUUCK.png
728 KB, 823x540
The best editor is Preview, just look at what it can do with the clipboard if you Cmd+C Cmd+V enough!
>captcha: select all images of computers
>all old MBP/Powerbook G4 laptops
at least they're using something identifiable, now
>muh legacy captcha toggle
Ceases functioning half the time.
>>
>>51304991
well meme'd lad
>>
Emacs. I think OSX even ships with it.
>>
>>51304991
how do you do that
>>
nano
>>
>>51306250
Is there anyway to turn the useless keyboard shortcut reminders off in nano?
>>
>>51301629
Sub.Lime.
>>
>>51305833
EPIC
>>
>>51304715
you really should learn more. It will speed you up
>>
>>51304835
>heavily extensible (cough, everything else)
you obviously haven't even seen emacs.
>>
>>51305855
But Emacs is open source GPL
>>
>>51301629
The same as on every other OS, faggot.
>>
>>51301749
Ditto, TextWrangler erry day.
>>
>>51307457
What's your point? Being free is a good thing by anyone's measure.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.