[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets talk about upcoming VR. Are they worth buying at a 300-400
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
Lets talk about upcoming VR.

Are they worth buying at a 300-400 dollar price-tag?

How useful would they be outside of gaming? Could they feasibly replace monitors for general desktop work?

How beefy of a GPU would you need to make buying a VR for gaming worthwhile?

Are they just memes?
>>
Vr's only relative use without other peripherals is gaming primarily. You would be better off with holo lens for non gaming.
>>
Are they really going to have those spider-eye things on the consumer version of the HTC?
>>
>>51301336

Probably not worth right out of the bat (but I guess they are going to release in very limited quantity anyway) But It will get big, I can see every new FPS having a VR option in the future.
>>
>>51301368
>holo lens
>200 to 1000 dollars more expensive than HTC or OR
>Limited to augmented reality rather than full virtual reality
nah
>>
>>51301377
Existing FPS can easily be nigger-rigged to have VR, all you need to do is have the camera move independent of the player model.
>>
>>51301390
>200 to 1000 dollars more expensive than HTC or OR
lol the current hololens is available for preorder for like $3k
>>
>>51301372
Have you even looked at the website before asking that question?

It literally takes less effort to type "oculus rift" into your browser address bar than to wait for someone to answer you on this board.
>>
>>51301473
Apparently it takes considerable effort to read
>>
>>51301437
It's cool. It's not 3k cool. Great tech demo candy but the real version is gonna be 10 FPS and rubberband everywhere, I just know it.
>>
>>51301518
I think they want this to be for devs to fuck around with for the next 3-5 years while the tech gets better and cheaper, then they can sell a consumer version for $1000 or 1500 that is actually somewhat decent, with decent dev support since they've had 3-5 years to fuck around with it.
>>
>>51301696
Because there's such decent dev support for motion controls like Kinect now, 3 years later.
>>
>>51301765
Fuck that, hololens has way more potential, even for the shitty demos we have seen it is obvious there is a TON of potential for new ideas that developers can implement for AR.

Trying to equate Kinect to Hololens is just retarded because no one ever though Kinect was going to be some huge big thing, it was pretty obvious from the start it was gimmick trash. Early demos were gimmick trash, the final product was gimmick trash.

AR and VR already look solid as fuck, not perfect, not even close, but the potential is there, and it is FAR more exciting than Kinect or 3D TVs or whatever other meme tech from the past half decade.
>>
>>51301806
Has there been any widespread user testimonies about hololense like there are about the OR and other VR platforms?

Or is everything we know about its performance from on-stage demos?
>>
>>51301806
Holo Lens looks like VR without the fun. If I'm going to strap something onto my head I may as well go full VR.
When people think about a future with AR they think glasses and contact lenses that show information about objects, places and people right in your vision, not headsets that need to be tethered to a computer.
>>
>>51301873
I personally agree that I would prefer VR to AR, but I am not against seeing where microsoft can go with it. Its not like their development of AR is going to adversely impact the development of VR.
>>
>>51301873
But with AR I can sit on the couch with my waifu and watch shows together on my blank wall.

VR forces you to see a whole world through a limited framerate and resolution
>>
>>51301844
User testimony is essentially, its great in the 30 degree FOV it covers. The problem is that is a fairly narrow slice of your vision so that is kinda shitty and will need to be improved for any real consumer AR.
>>
>>51301917
With VR the character and background are consistent, with AR there's a separation and the frame rate's even more obvious.
And VR's fov seems to be higher at this point.
with VR you can also use passthrough video and AR elements or just rebuild your room in vr.
>>
What's one of your pet peeves? Mine is when people treat AR and VR as massively different things or use different technologies that shouldn't have cross over. It's kind of pointless to discuss the current tech in that way because it's not even released yet and there are massive pros and cons to both approaches in the technology.

But curious here, what would you consider this situation: you have AR glasses, and you can overlay perfect, solid images onto your whole vision. You overlay textures onto every surface of your room and all the objects within it. So none of the light from the real world is actually reaching your eyes, but every aspect of the real world is still being represented in your vision perfectly, just in a different way.

Is that AR or VR?
>>
>>51301402
How is this even possible with a consumer binary, i don't think this is possible without the games development kit. This might be realistic for offline singleplayer games but no way in hell can i see a game allowing you to modify the camera viewpoint for online play.
>>
>>51301336
Some developers of non-gaming tech projects have expressed a lot of interest in VR kits.

Robotic gimbals controlled by VR were recently announced this past week. VR installations involving IR motion trackers and baby-VR headsets have been used for interactive art installations since 2001.
>>
>>51302093
I take it this is a rhetorical question to demonstrate a point, but I'm too fucking thick to notice.
My usual rule of thumb is that it'd be AR because it's augmenting reality, but it's also entirely visualized.
Perhaps we just need a new cleaner definition.
"Is the virtual environment you're in the same as the one you're physically in?"
If yes, AR. If no, VR.
There, I answered a rhetorical question matter-of-factly and now I'm declaring my made up answer as the fucking law.
>>
the only memes are the non-oculus or non-microsoft headsets.
>>
>>51302251
But muh 180 degree fov!
>>
>>51301372
They'll probably be hidden at the very least.
We still haven't seen the consumer versions design, so no one really knows what it's going to look like
>>
>>51301368
Wasn't there another company working on something extremely similar to the hololens but aimed at the tabletop games and board games market? It has more practical applications too as it just renders what it needs to on any surface covered with a cheap silver colored mat
>>
Right now there's not much for console.
Mobile is looking pretty good.
Here's the best ones for mobile i guess.
http://www.vr-insider.com/magazine/VR_Headset_Buyer's_Guide_for_Christmas_2015
>>
>>51302296
They shipped, I think it was castAR
They literally just projected shit onto the surface.
Colors faded as fuck.
>>
>>51302669
>comparing Gear VR to Cardboard
>even mentioning Cardboard and Oculus/HTC/Sony in the same sentence

Shit article. Cardboard is not a good intro the the tech as it doesn't do the thing that makes VR what it is: give you the feeling that you're actually somewhere else. Articles like these are the reason why people try Cardboard and then think Oculus and others are the same thing and are just as worthless.
>>
>>51301336
>How useful would they be outside of gaming?
Very
They're revolutionary for fapping and visualizing 3d models/scenes
Also you can watch movies on a huge screen

>Could they feasibly replace monitors for general desktop work?
Yes, but for it to be as sharp as regular monitors you need at least 2k resolution HMDs
I'm really looking forward having any monitor setup I want rather than overpriced 16:9 garbage

>How beefy of a GPU would you need to make buying a VR for gaming worthwhile?
Depends entirely on the optimization
I could easily run a 1+ million poly test scene with 4x MSAA + FXAA on a GTX 660 (DK2)
But for AAA garbage you will definitely need the latest high-end hardware
>>
>>51302950
> you need at least 2k resolution HMDs
they are already 1080p. Do you mean per eye?
>>
>>51302964
I meant vertically
>>
>>51302964
oh right. No that resolution isn't that great unless you have big icons and big text.

I'm guessing 4000x4000 per eye is where it starts to become possible to treat vr world like a giant desktop, but even then it will be blurry.
>>
>>51301873
But hololens is untethered you illiterate
>>
>>51302093
AR. What your describing is kind of like what they did in Psycho Pass. Rooms are actually all empty, everyone is wearing the same drab jump suits, ect ect. But since everyone is also using AR at all times, they can decorate their homes and themselves however they wish. It's still them, the objects are still real. But there is a virtual illusion overlaying everything to make it look nicer then it really is.

Which has pros and cons.
>>
>>51301336
HTC seems the most promising to me, Too much of a luxury item for me at the moment.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.