[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about ReactOS? Anyone used it? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: ReactOS_logo.png (141 KB, 600x331) Image search: [Google]
ReactOS_logo.png
141 KB, 600x331
What do you guys think about ReactOS? Anyone used it? Is it going to be a good alternative for Windows in the fture?
Some basic info:
>Open source
>Written from scrach
>Based on Windows
>Is supposed to work with software written for Windows
More info:
>https://www.reactos.org
>>
>>51299331
shit linux distro no. 234131
>>
>>51299359
It isn't linux but it is shit.
>>
I looked it up in 2005 and apparently they still didn't get anywhere with that project.
>>
Well at least they are trying to emulate a decent OS.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 600x600
Waiting for it to mature like a motherfucker.
>>
>>51299359
>>51299372
>>51299374
It might be shit, but we still need an open source alternative for Windows that is easy to use and compatible with Windows software.
>>
>Written from scratch
>Based on Windows
Those are contradictory, so which is actually true?
>>
>>51299560
>what is reverse engineering
>>
wanted to use it but i think Microsoft canned it for copyright shit
>>
>>51299331
Sounds interesting.
>>
>>51299331
It would probably be more than a joke project if they didn't choose that communist license.
>>
Can't they just contribute to Wine ? How is this different/better ?
>>
>>51299801
They literally reuse many wine dlls
>>
>>51299656

It's still being developed, so clearly they haven't been canned.

>>51299560

They are not contradictory. They do not copy any actual lines of code from Windows. They do, however, produce the same system calls as Windows.
>>
>>51299359
your stupid shows

>>51299331
it's a good idea OP, but not enough developers. If it did have more developers, and if it were good enough, Microsoft would have done everything to destroy them (or whatever Apple did to PearOS).
>>
>>51299331
I was pretty excited 8 years ago. Not much has happened to it since, though.
>>
>>51299656
I think they were accused of copying code from a leaked Windows release (XP?), so they had to do a full audit of their code base to ensure this was not the case, which halted development for over a year. Now developers have to sign an agreement to never look at leaked source code. Same thing happened to Wine, which shares some code with ReactOS.
>>
>>51299801
The kernel, mostly. Instead of relying on semi-finished Linux drivers, they want to write something that is 100% compatible with vendor-supplied drivers.

They've also put some effort into writing a shell that would be familiar to any Windows user (in 2005).
>>
File: explorer-Lautus.png (1 MB, 1366x1329) Image search: [Google]
explorer-Lautus.png
1 MB, 1366x1329
>>51300304
>They've also put some effort into writing a shell that would be familiar to any Windows user (in 2005).
You can theme it B^)
>>
>>51300598
Now that is nice. Damn, I would give my remaining ball for a complete version of ReactOS.
>>
>>51299331
>Is it going to be a good alternative for Windows in the fture?
they'll have to start over and base it on win7
>>
>>51300712
>base it on win7
>thinks it's just a copy of winXP just because it looks that way
>>>/v/ is that way
>>
>>51300738
>implying
it can't even execute function calls for any NT features newer than 2004
>>
>>51300598
looks so fucking sexy

Do all the regular windows programs work? By that I mean office suites, watching movies, functional gfx drivers, browsers...
>>
>>51300786
They just add those features, then. It's not like it's a proprietary clusterfuck of code.
>>
>>51300789
nope
:^)
plus I'm pretty certain now that the bottom image is just their explorer/shell32 running on windows server 2003
>>
>>51300810
>It's not like it's a proprietary clusterfuck of code.
it's even worse, it's a clusterfuck of code reverse engineered from unknown binary blobs
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.