[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam Machines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13
File: steam_machine.jpg (92 KB, 1020x562) Image search: [Google]
steam_machine.jpg
92 KB, 1020x562
Steam Machines are technology.
Yesterday was official release.
They run SteamOS, which is basically Debian + Steam + drivers.
There are currently 1600+ games on Steam for Linux.

More OEMs get on board, sooner we will get Year of Linux Living Room Entertainment.
>>
meh for the same price/cheaper you can build a mini-itx cube pc that runs all games on steam on windows or if you really want SteamOS just fine, unless you have some autistic need for a console sized pc.
>>
>>51298448
The people they market to cant do that.
>>
Spruce up your OP, op. Tell us what models are available, what their specs are, if they can be upgraded and how, etc.
>>
>>51298448
But then I would have to deal with the bullshit that is small cases. This way i can pay someone else to do it for me :^)
>>
>>51298537
true
>>
File: trash.jpg (134 KB, 778x1018) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
134 KB, 778x1018
>>51298429
It's trash.
>>
>>51298429
if it gets more people onto linux, then fine.

If it came a priority for games, itll become a priority for everyone and life will be good.
>>
I really like the controller a lot.
But I think even if Steam Machines take off I'll still keep using Windows
I've tried all of the popular distros and none of them work well on my laptop, so no way I'd try them on my desktop.
>>
File: 1390267626568.png (362 KB, 625x615) Image search: [Google]
1390267626568.png
362 KB, 625x615
>>51298575
Go back to >>51298427 awoooooo~
>>
>>51298928
I'm already there in another tab.
>>
>>51298997
Awooo
>>
>>51298429
Still wondering who is this for.
>Consolefags won't buy it since they won't be able to play with their friends, can't buy used games, not cheap, etc.
>PCfags have a PC already
>Streamfags will just buy a Steam link or use a laptop, etc.
>>
File: herald.jpg (343 KB, 525x660) Image search: [Google]
herald.jpg
343 KB, 525x660
>>51298429
>>51298448
Consumers get the advatange of the ultra portability of these machines, even more so than mini itx at times, and all the fuss of setting up and picking the correct (read: for most consumers parts priced still at what they would pay for steam box) at the correct price.

The steam controller is good for most games, especially comfy ones like total war.

Currently the only problem with steam box is literally no games. It's running Linux.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (21 KB, 366x324) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
21 KB, 366x324
>>51299045
i think it's more a statement of intent

this isn't the end of development for this kind of shit, but until they reach the point where it makes consoles obsolete/becomes more economical at the high end for PCs, i think it's only going be bought by enthusiasts/steam fanboys with lots of extra cash

i doubt the people behind steam think it will actually compete with other gaming options
>>
>>51299132
>>51299045
Pc users may even purchase Steam boxes instead of upgrading their old hueg tower so that they get the added portability.
>>
I'm going to get a steam link and a steam controller.

No point in buying a Steam Machine and play games on worse specs than my PC when I have a perfectly good ethernet setup to use by the living room TV.
>>
>>51299189
>steam controller
stop
>>
>>51299132
Consoles are already dead as independent hardware/software from pc. Moddable in small form factor is literally right around the corner with pci ssd, tiny hbm video cards, etc.

Steams is just early with what everyone already suspects. This is the last or next to last console gen.
>>
>>51298448
We are not the target audience for this machines. Steam is targeting kids and other less tech savy people to buy this machines.

I think it's agreat device for people who want to play steam games but don't know jack about computer parts.
>>
>>51298613
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>51299132
I guess so, its a way of telling the consumer that Steam is right there in your living room along with your PS4 and Xbone, although I wonder how well SteamOS runs games vs Windows on the same hardware.

Having only 1/3rd of the Steam library available to you will suck though, and many new games released on Steam are not supported on Linux, which the Xbone and PS4 will be getting on launch.

>>51299158
Eh, I sure wouldn't. Just about any upgrade I could make would cost less than a Steam Machine and some Steam Machines can't be upgraded either.
>>
why would you buy a prebuilt dell that comes out of the box less productive than a windows machine?

linus does literally nothing but limit the games you can play, and the people who buy prebuilts not only dont know how to install a new os but arent going to have a copy of windows floating around.

these things are fucking pointless, and only steambabies defend them
>>
>>51299257
It would cost more but it would be more portable, not fuckhueg tower anymore.

>>51299213
Problem? You love sitting in a chair all day don't you, work and play?
>>
>>51299281
You don't get that the whole point of it is that Linux might get games and wangblows bloat 10 wouldn't have to be used anymore.
>>
In this thread I see all this talk about portability, but in many years of pc gaming I never felt the need for a smaller portable case even going to several LAN parties
>>
File: silverstone_sg08_front_34[1].jpg (44 KB, 600x483) Image search: [Google]
silverstone_sg08_front_34[1].jpg
44 KB, 600x483
>>51299282
You can use a small case for a PC, you know.

One of these will pretty much fit your entire system in it, Video Card included.
>>
>>51299300
That isn't a fucking argument, because all you are saying is you will guess that games that are released from this point on might come out on linux, and you are still stuck with using steam.

Believe it not, people dont just use windows to play games. And even if you are making a purposebuilt machine for games, linux still does nothing but prevent what you can play and force you to use steam. That sure is freedom!

You spend too much time here trying to fit in.
>>
Price point is too high for it to be consumer level. Market is bone dry. OEMs don't want to ride that fail train. It's not even in physical stores. 0/10

For a console to be successful it needs:
1) A FUCKTON of annoying ass ads.
2) Celeb endorsments.
3) To appear at E3 and talked about all day.
4) Youtubers freaking out and shrilling loud screams over getting it.
5) Pandering to children.
6) An objectively inferior design.

Steam OS has none of that, and therefor
The year of the linux desktop will be on the year of our lord FUCKING NEVER AD.
>>
>>51299317
>over 200C
Thanks!
>>
File: ShadowRidgeRoadFire.jpg (291 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
ShadowRidgeRoadFire.jpg
291 KB, 1280x960
>>51299317
>>
>>51299322
There is literally no (0) (zero) (nil) (zilch) reason to use windows for anything but muh games. The reason people use it is because they don't know any better, and that's all.
>>
>>51299317
have you seen how small an alienware alpha is.
>>
>>51299336
>>51299351
>Using Nvidia

Its like you want to start a forest fire.

>>51299367
You seriously can't carry a shoebox around?

What kind of baby hands do you have?
>>
>>51299363
No, when you spend all of your team shitposting on /g/ instead of living in the real world you think that. You are just a /g/ tool who not only sucks the dick of 'freedom', but you now suck valve dick like every other retard on /r/pcmasterrace
>>
>>51299403
That's cute, Timmy. How's middleschool going, by the way? Are your exams soon?
>>
>>51299317
That's a difficult build since its so small, better to just get a tested design with steam box.
>>
>>51299390
>nfw AMD is literally hotter than nvidia
>>
File: lincucks.png (411 KB, 800x967) Image search: [Google]
lincucks.png
411 KB, 800x967
>>51298429
>SteamOS, which is basically Debian
>Year of Linux Living Room Entertainment

Once again it is proven that FOSS sucks, and the real SW that people want is proprietary.
MS have won.

Freetards are sucking closed source dick like never before in history of GPL licensed software.
>>
File: admirable shot.jpg (27 KB, 303x303) Image search: [Google]
admirable shot.jpg
27 KB, 303x303
SteamOS isn't even actually developed by Valve. They hired more random fucking contractors.
>>
>>51299123
It has games. Problem being they are either old or indie. New AAA games is lacking
>>
>>51299363
Office 2016
Adobe Photoshop CC
ASPX internet pages
Software for school
Quickbooks
Printer drivers for most printers
This list can keep going on and on and on...
>>
>>51299457
That's because Valve is hard at work on HL3.
>>
>>51298429
The CHEAPEST one in the UK costs £450.

I really do wonder who the fuck valve thinks will buy these paperweights. Even their streaming box is a lot more useful than these things.

It's like they made them out of the panic of Windows 8 potentially cuc.king them and then realized there was no need for them but have a lot of hardware to get rid of now.
>>
>>51299403
>tfw ibm requires their developers to use linux
Real world enough for you?
>>
>>51299511
>It's like they made them out of the panic of Windows 8 potentially cuc.king them

Well going by the fact that as soon as the 8.1 update came out and Gabe realised his games store was safe he had his guys back at round MS making deals and being best buds it's pretty fair to assume he made a knee-jerk reaction and has enough money to let steamos fizzle out, it's perfect because he can blame gnu and linux for it being shitty and probably manage to crack a deal getting steam on xbox.
>>
>>51299511
Valve doesn't make them its all 3rd parties they keked into signing on with grand promises.
>>
>>51299552
>IBM
>Thinking their workers are human

kek
>>
>>51299486
How much are you getting paid for this ridiculous post?
>>
Steam OS was such a huge flop because it doesn't support:

PhysX, APEX, WaveWorks, FaceWorks, HairWorks, TurfEffects, FlameWorks, VXGI, ShadowWorks, PostWorks, FleX, SGSSAA, SLIAA, Negative LOD bias, HBAO+, G-Sync , DSR Supersampling, ENB, GeDoSaTO, or any of the game titles that have a serious cult following.
>>
Here's a Steam Machine you kucks.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nzhg99

For more or less the cost of Alienware's Steam Machine you get a sexy beast that is fully upgradable. It doesnt have an i3 like the Alienware's machine but to be honest the i3 are just higher clocked Pentiums. It also comes with an SSD that IMO is a must for this kind of system.

Oh and unlike steam machines that uses Haswell, this is a Skylake PC.
>>
Its overpriced but its small. Obviously it will fail because they couldn't get windows. I'm not going to shit on them for trying to do something I like however. Which is getting console gamers onto pc.

If they were actually successful in opening the market up to dudes like Asus and Zotac making prebuilt small form factor living room gaming pcs a thing. It would just hasten Valves own demise.
>>
>>51299639
Prove me wrong faggot, instead of just calling me a shill. I even use Linux instead of Windows for the lack of tracking features.
>>
>>51299678
>Its overpriced but its small. Obviously it will fail because they couldn't get windows.
>they couldn't get windows

Not having windows is the point you cvck. Why do you think Valve developed them?
>>
>>51299699
>Pale Meme

Confirmed shill.
>>
>>51299639
I think the even more sad possibility is that he is a user who legitimately shills windows, a product backed by multibillion dollar conglomerate, for zero compensation. He does it for free.

He actually does an advertising agency's job in his spare time for free after working his exhausting (purported) job in the "real word'!

Let's all vow to ourselves never to become that pathetic and kucked.
>>
>>51299282
>full power PC
>portable
For what reason? Are you so bad with money you have a mid-high end computer but are homeless and have to carry it on your couch-surfing adventures? Do you still go to LAN parties (do those even still exist?)

>>51299300
>Linux -might- get games. Some day. Maybe. Eventually. But not all of them.
>BETTER DROP A GRAND NOW!
>>
>>51299486
>Printer drivers for most printers
Boy, sure is 1998 in here

Also, what can Office 2016 do for you what LibreOffice can't?
>>
File: 1380137659562.gif (3 MB, 1426x590) Image search: [Google]
1380137659562.gif
3 MB, 1426x590
>>51298613
same here
the controller is god-tier
I hope they make it so the left touchpad can be mapped to a joystick in some older games
>>
>>51299664
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nzhg99
>750 ti
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bqwhf7
real pc coming through
>>
>>51299875
>what can Office do that LibreOffice can't?
Be read by people who have literally anything other than LibreOffice, because it murders formatting -still- after a decade. Or by people that have a different revision of LibreOffice, which is nearly guaranteed since it updates 3x a week usually. Because it even eats its own formatting.
>>
>>51299783
>Muh no telemetry
>Muh no ECE
>Muh Adblock Latitude
>Muh customizable GUI
>Muh lack of vulnerabilities
>Muh Stability
>Muh triple buffered vsync @120fps
>Muh no lag on netflix
>Muh no lag on HTML5 benchmarks
>Muh non-signed addons
>Muh random agent spoofer
Go home child, grownups are talking.
>>
>>51299931
Actually, Libreoffice follows standards and formats properly. It's Microsoft that keeps breaking their own shit with different versions of office.
>>
>>51299955
>"standards"
>only used by LibreOffice, which has ~0.001% market share
Compared to MS Office, which has 99.93% market share. Seems to me that whoever has the biggest dick sets the standard.
>>
>>51299903
>FX-6300
>GTX 960

Holy shit, could you fuck up any harder? Swap that Piledriver trash out for a cool i3 and go with an ITX R9 380.
>>
>>51299755
Couldn't, didnt want to same thing. Trying to piss on Microsoft with a xbox competitor just begs them to make a form of xbox live that competes with steam.
>>
>>51299973
You're missing my point. Microsoft intentionally breaks their docx formatting across different versions of office. Compatibility issues is solely the fault of microsoft. Also a lot of European governments use odt which is perfectly well supported by libreoffice.
>>
The problem with the SteamOS and Steam Machines is that they're trying to compete with consoles.
But Linux doesn't even support all AAA titles or new releases, and publishers aren't forced to make them support Linux or OS X.
So Fallout 4 or Black Ops 3 won't be available to play unless you stream it from your Windows PC to the Steam Machine.
Then you have input lag when you could just hook up your PC to the TV with an HDMI cable anyways.
>>
>>51299486
>Office 2016
trash
>Adobe Photoshop CC
nobody use it.
>ASPX
trash
>Software for school
The software for my school was a linux system, a terminal emulator, gcc and vim.
>>
>>51298429
>implying PlayStation isn't running on BSD
>>
>>51299660
It does though.
>was
lol
>>
File: original-8.jpg (100 KB, 763x986) Image search: [Google]
original-8.jpg
100 KB, 763x986
>>51299877
Concerning the controller:
Valve claims that it's gonna be very "hackable"
Apparently it links via BLE
However I can't seem to pair to it
Any links about fun stuff that was done with this?
>>
>>51299999
They are already trying to compete with steam with XBL and "XBox Windows" or whatever the hell GFWL turned into.

SteamOS is a useless pile of shit and so are the prebuilt baby mode steamboxes, but they don't exist for functionality. That's just a meme fedoras on reddit will try to sell you.

What SteamOS and prebuilt steamboxes really are is a shot across the bow of Microsoft from Valve as a result of Microsoft's invasion of Windows with XBox branding.
>>
>>51299486
Everything on there has better options in GNULinux
>>
>>51300020
>obvious chicken and egg problem
It has to start somewhere.
Any rational person wouldn't expect Steam Machines to be in every house when 2016 starts.
I like to draw parallel with Android.
Both use same business strategy.
And it also took Android some time to get above iOS.
But look at it now, being main mobile OS on planet.
I expect same thing for Steam Machines. One year for them to get noticed by consolefags and jews that run media, decent piece of market share in 5 years, total world domination in 10 years.
>>
>>51299999
nice pentas dude.
>>
>>51299982
If I were to seriously make a living room pc to replace consoles and stream off. I'd get a used i5 2500 and r9 280x.
>>
>>51299403
>>51299486
Most software for school and work that actually matters is on Linux, whether it be matlab or labview.
>>
>>51300133
Call them a fedora if you like but they play games and are portable so function over form buddy.
>>
File: maximum_brofist.png (598 KB, 900x603) Image search: [Google]
maximum_brofist.png
598 KB, 900x603
>>51300314
>>
>>51300133
On second though I dont even see it as a shot. If console days are numbered what happens if Xbox 3 is just a pc with a controller that runs windows. Millions of console fags buy it and get their pc games through xbox marketplace. Valve actually has to get out in front of it.
>>
>>51300132
I wonder what they mean by hackable
Because if I could somehow replace the stick with a dpad I absolutely would
>>
>>51299447
>this is what niggers tell themselves
>>
>>51299327

Actually, given how computer markets are going full autisimodo tablet mode, and windows 10 has fucking tablet features into a desktop OS, steam is making a smart business move.

>market is dry hurr doesnt have enough hype

Valve are creating their own market, for the price of less than a macbook you can now PC game in your living room or anywhere in the house. Graphic quality shits over any true console that is out on the market and doesn't require anything beyond the internet connection people already pay for.
>>
>>51300330
Le epic for the win dude, I feel so bad for being made fun of on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
Got my controller, and it's broken. The left d-pad press in for up/down/right works, but left fails to register. I don't even have any idea where to RMA it as i'm in canada.
>>
>>51301678
Valid question: how much warranty does all this Valve's hadware have?
Where would you send playstation / xbox controller? Ask there what to do with steam controller.
>inb4 send it to Gabe with note "fix plz" attached
>>
>>51300762
>buying a dell is okay because le gaben says it is XD
>>
>>51299875
It provides a spreadsheet program that is actually useful.
>>
SteamOS will be the most popular OS within 2 years
>>
>>51301866
>not using ledger
>>
>>51301956
Again, I said actually useful.
>>
>>51301980
>excel
>actually useful
>>
>>51302009
Yeah, macros, functions, integration with everything else isn't useful at all :^).

Just because you don't know shit about excel (which means you have never worked a real job in your life) doesn't mean the program isn't useful.
>>
>>51300132
When i first connected my steam controller to my computer, it literally updated the firmware on the controller.
>>
>>51302009
>I don't use it so that means no one does
>>
>>51302024
>garbage syntax non-turing-complete macros are better than clean turing-complete macros
>VB is better than lisp
>meme is better than usability
LOL
>>
>>51299317
That's a shitty case. Top cover is an awful pita to take off and put back on.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.