[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intel i7 4970k
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (824 KB, 1536x2056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
824 KB, 1536x2056
What does /g/ have to say about i7 4970k?

Pic has nothing to do with anything.
>>
>>51294538
Its a CPU. What exactly are you expecting?
>>
Pretty nice, overclocks well (got mine to about 4.5 before I decided to stop) plus for some reason its performance is on par with whylake cpus
>>
I prefer i5-4690k for price performance. Hyper threading isn't utilized yet
>>
it's probably the only CPU that I actually approve from the i series.
i3 is a meme
i5 is not so good
i7 is quite ok.
>>
>>51296342
and what is perfect
>>
>>51294979
>housefire
>>
>>51296416
a cheaper i7
>>
>>51296416
ZEN
E
N
>>
>>51296416
Dual 10 core Xeons with a Phi coprocessor.
>>
File: image.jpg (685 KB, 1536x2056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
685 KB, 1536x2056
>>51294979
I got it a year ago, for how long do you think it will perform good?
>>
>>51296342
I don't think you fucking understand the the i-monikers are used only as pricing tiers, and therefore brackets for intended customers.

Pentium for cheapest, i3 is for medium-low budgets, i5 is for medium-high budgets, and i7 is for any large budget to beyond.

Saying "i5" is not so good means fucking nothing, because i5 as a moniker has been applied to first-gen (ex: i5-760), second-gen (ex: i5-2500k), third-gen (ex: i5-3570k), fourth-gen (ex: i5-4690k), and fifth-gen (ex: i5-6600k) processors. Many of these i5 are on completely different processing nodes and in different major Intel architectures.

That's akin to saying "Ford F-150 is not so good". Which one? They've been made for ~60 years or more many of which vary incredibly widely throughout the years.

It's a fucking empty blanket statement.

The highest rated i5 has always been in a favorable spot in terms of price/performance compared to the lowest rated i7 that people like to compare it to.

ex: i5-4690k vs i7-4790k. One costs ~$220 the other costs $320. They're otherwise the exact same chip, except one has HT unlocked and comes at a higher stock speed/boost speed, which is negligible since the i5 can just match the i7 clock-for-clock. The only reason to jump for the i7 is the enabled HT, which to this day has not contributed even 10% additional performance on average tasks compared to the ~50% price hike you pay to get that lowest i7 over the highest i5.

Hyperthreading is a fucking meme. When they price it appropriately (~$40 price increment over the highest rated i5) then I might bite, but it's not worth a ~$100 price premium when I get better gains by dumping an extra $100 on the video card or SSD space than on a fucking meme.
>>
>>51294538
My experience with this chip is mixed. The thermals are much better than the 4770K. The single-thread performance is really good.

However, mine bricked about 10 months in, with no apparent cause and good cooling. Took it back to where I bought it and they swapped it out. Been going 4 months on the new one, we'll see what happens.
>>
File: avatar.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
19 KB, 500x500
>>51297518
It chould just have been a bad ex? I hope your new one will be better.
>>
It's nice and all, but hyperthreading does almost nothing, and can even cause worse performance in some scenarios. I wish I could afford 8 real cores.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.